Reptile heat pads

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Batz,

Yeah they work well with a controller....but...go for a higher power one than 14W if you can, or, insulate well.

Cheers

fraser_john said:
Hey Batz,

Yeah they work well with a controller....but...go for a higher power one than 14W if you can, or, insulate well.

Cheers
They would be inside a fridge.

Batz said:
They would be inside a fridge.
I wrap mine in an old sleeping bag and it works perfect, so I'd hazard a guess a fridge would be just as good!

Cheers

GrumpyPaul said:
Someone on here uses uses one of these and snakes (pardon the pun) the cord around the walls of the fermentation fridge.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REPTILE-HEAT-CABLE-HEATING-CORD-FLEXABLE-CABLE-50-Watt-7-0M-/221474198727?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3390e414c7

Cant remember who it was though

Edit - too slow
Thats what I use, I hang it from the top of the fridge...its an unusual design with a wire type cage across the ceiling of the fridge.
It produces a nice gentle heat that warms the fermenter nice and slow without massive changes in air temp.

I have used it wrapped around the fermenter in a traditional way before I had a temp controlled fridge...also worked well.

I am sure I saw a pic where someone zig zagged it around the wall in the shelve grooves of the fridge.

I use one of those cord type reptile heaters (7m) . Its long enough to be wrapped around two fermentors inside my fridge (or just one if only one fermenting). Works a treat!

Hey Batz.
I use a 14w one.
I have it running through the stc.
It sits in the door of the fridge between two sheets of core flute.
Seems to do the job and as far as I can tell it does heat gently enough to keep the temps relatively stable. I have never seen my temp reading go up and down as the heater pad does not burst on and off.

Hope this helps !

CF

GrumpyPaul said:
I am sure I saw a pic where someone zig zagged it around the wall in the shelve grooves of the fridge.
Could be mine. I have a 50w, 7m long one and have it hanging from the top shelf around the walls of the fridge. This is the one I got, it has Aust certification. Hooked up to the stc it is set and forget.

I have one of the 35w plastic sheet type reptile pads. I love it - zero issues, east to clean, no problems whatsoever holding temp of two 25l fermentations, or one either. I use it with a temp controller. I have mine standing upright in my fridge against the back wall.

+1 for the heating cords. I have a couple of them, one in my brewing fridge and one that manages to keep another old fridge at 30C for storing my buckets of honey to stop it crystallizing. I have got some old slate tiles in the honey fridge to work as a heat bank.

Mardoo said:
I have one of the 35w plastic sheet type reptile pads. I love it - zero issues, east to clean, no problems whatsoever holding temp of two 25l fermentations, or one either. I use it with a temp controller. I have mine standing upright in my fridge against the back wall.
+1.
I use a 28W to control a standard 30Ltr HDPE fermenter in a fridge.
Less concentrated heat than the heat-belt I used to use, and seems to keep a really steady temperature with suitable controller box.
Easy to clean as well.

I wrap mine around the fermenter with strap. Very gentle heating.

QldKev said:
Could be mine. I have a 50w, 7m long one and have it hanging from the top shelf around the walls of the fridge. This is the one I got, it has Aust certification. Hooked up to the stc it is set and forget.
They look the shot Kev, I think I'll order a couple of those.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Batz

OK I ordered one, if they live up to expectations I'll get another. I'll report back on my findings, but if Kev says they do the job well, I'm sure they do.

Batz

Yep, have a reptile heat mat too. Works a treat in the fridge hooked up to the STC1000. Becomes quite necessary with ales in winter, particularly towards the end of the ferment.

Batz, how did you fix the cord into place inside the fridge. Just about to do mine and I've got all the shelves out so not sure what to fix it onto.

Do you have a picture of the setup?

I have one shelf still in the top of the fridge, so I just threaded it through that.
A few of those suction cup hooks would do the job for you.

Batz

Latest posts

Back