Repitching Onto Yeast Cake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmonkey

Reaction score
I have pretty much got my Sierra Nevada pale ale clone recipe sorted and am about to make a fair few batches to condition and have ready for the new year, and onwards.
If i ferment in the primary for 1 week at wlp001's ideal temp and rack to secondary, and repitch a fresh wort onto the primary cake, how many repitches could i expect to achive?
Am thinking that if its 3 or 4 will do that rather than work a starter and split as it is much easier.

Thanks

I do this often for up to 3 batches before I either dispose of the yeast or acid wash it and continue using it. The only guideline is that you generally go from low gravity/low flavour beers to higher gravity/higher flavour beers. For instance, it would be unwise to start with an APA then pitch a Kolsch onto that yeast cake. Doing the reverse would be okay.

I have previously pitched on the yeast cake at least 3 times, with absolutely no problems. I do it quite often these days, even with dried yeasts like S-04 and US-56. It just saves so much time given that you don't need to clean and sanatise the fermenter each time you pitch.

When you say pitch on the yeast cake, do you literally mean pitching a new brew, onto a yeast cake that is left in a fermenter, from a brew thats just been bottled ?

If so, ive done it a couple of times...exactly like this, onto a Wyeast 1056. No problems yet. But it was on a racked, secondary yeast cake.

I'm usually very careful with sanitation, and i didnt really get overly keen on doing this. But no probs yet. :blink: :blink:

As I usually end up with some trub in the fermentor I tend to scoop off the yeast from the top of the cake, several tablespoons is usually enough, and straight into the new wort.

a better way to go to keep the yeast healthy and minimise recycling old trub is to scoop the yeast off the top at high krusen and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days till your next batch. yeast lasts longer this way.

when i've got time and energy i like to do multiple batches really close together by scooping the krusen off one primary and pitching it immediately into a new batch in another fermenter. you can stagger them a few days apart so one batch is winding up while another one is starting, which then provides the yeast for the next one etc... i get really good fermentations this way but it does mean some pretty intensive backtoback brewing

thanks for the answers guys.
Does anybody feelthat rinsing the yeast before using will have any benefits?
By rinsing i mean a gallon of sterilised water plus trub, swirl, settle a touch, decant then repitch onto the yeast suspension? (obviously more brief than a wash) or do i not gain any benefit. the only one i could see is that if i wanted to go past 3 (or 4 at a push) reuses then i wouldnt have 4 week old trub in my fermenter, but as i only plan on going to 3 (i think for sanitation reasons) thats only a 3-4 wek stay in primary, and from what i remember thats about the limit for primary ferments? Oh fwiw i only plan on making one style with this fermenter/ yeast cake.

I think you'll be better off not washing it. Just for re-pitching a few times, I don't think there's really any big need unless you have lots of hop/break debris in there. But then, I'd rather just take a cup or so and pitch that into a fresh fermenter. Either way will work.

so youz are basically saying if i do a brew then bottle it and then do the same brew again i can just throw it straight into the primary fermenter with all the yeast and sludge etc.etc from the first brew?
without any cleaning.
Basically just drain the first brew out and bottle then add the 2nd brew straight on top?

so youz are basically saying if i do a brew then bottle it and then do the same brew again i can just throw it straight into the primary fermenter with all the yeast and sludge etc.etc from the first brew?
without any cleaning.
Basically just drain the first brew out and bottle then add the 2nd brew straight on top?

Yes....

without any cleaning.

Yes....

Yes but...
This time of year especially be careful with temperature.
A brew pitched straight onto the yeast cake is being pitched onto far more yeast than you need. Consequently the temperature is going to start rising big-time after about 12-24hrs.
Make sure that the brew you pitch is already at, or even below, your desired ferment temp. Otherwise you will need damn good temperature control to bring it back down to sensible temps.

Latest posts

Back