Re pitched yeast under attenuating

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhsbaker

Reaction score
Hi, I have brewed 2 batches of beer with American Ale yeast (Danny's favourite) re pitched from a previous batch. I expected 1010 - 1012 in less than 1 week, but after 10 days 1 is 1022 and the other is 1026. This is after several days at 21c, so fermentation should be well and truly done. I do not believe that the problem is non fermentables in the 2 batches. I believe that I pitched plenty of yeast (washed yeast cake from 22L batch and split between 2 brews)

The biggest difference from normal is that I left the previous beer much longer in the fermenter than normal (18c for one week, up to 20c for 2 days then dropped gradually to 7 degC. Due to lack of time I left it for a total of 4 weeks prior to recovering yeast. I collected yeast in sanitised containers, rinsed and separated from trub,ledt it in fridge for 2 days. The night before brewing I put yeast with 250ml of 1030 starter to get it active again.

Has anybody had a similar problem to this? I normally leave my beer 1 week fermenting + 1 week conditioning in primary. Does anybody reuse yeast like this - I don't want to mess with racking to secondary.

Regards
James

Selection process may be an issue? You can ( unwittingly) select more flocculent, less attenuative yeast when rinsing / harvesting.. Possible theory only, the time frames don't seem out of whack

Latest posts

Back