Removing Bottle Labels Experiment (with photos)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm .... rinse with more of the stuff (read: Sod perc) that dissolved it in the first place :ph34r: :lol:
Then a quick rinse with boiled & hot water.

Re: punkin: agree. I'm a big fan of experimental evidence, even if it's our half-arsed backyard version; & especially when it's nicely laid out in easy to search & read format! :super:

When i was bottling & had some v old dirty bottles, soaking in PSR, the labels would fall off over night. maybe small bit of glue left behind.

Most of my bottle collection has labels still on. doesn't bother me.

when ive entered beer into comp, I just remove the label with a razor blade.

After getting into kegging, I always said I would bottle a few litres from each batch but its never happened. bottling was too much effort & is what put me off brewing early on.
removing labels.. Pfft..

Just remembered from when i used to bottle. I would always rinse them with the cheap little Karcher pressure washer & that would blow the labels off after a short soak (old bottles though).

punkin said:
Would be nice if you posted a follow up experiment with a couple more of the methods posted here as i know from experience there are some good suggestions. B)
Yeah punkin, I was thinking the same thing. At the time, I tried the most popular methods, but assumed napisan and bleach would be similar. I have just had some Starsan arrive today, so I will definitely do some further tests with both starsan, napisan and also some chlorine based sanitiser.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Me too on the too lazy to de-label category. What's the point? I pour all my beers into a glass before drinking anyway. And besides, a lot of my bottles these days I'm quite proud to have labels on...Sierra Nevada, Tuatara, Green Flash, Moon Dog etc...they're like little badges of honour...

Excellent work on the experiment though, thanks for taking the time to post on it.

What ratio of napisan to water should I use? I'm about to use di-san from Aldi to attempt to get the labels off my bottles.

I'd have a look at the label if it was me doing it.

If it helps any I just use about half to three quarters of a cap full into a laundry tub. I dunno how much the laundry tub holds though.

I'm a professional cleaner. I just soak in really hot water with a bit of dishwashing detergent. Scrape with a plastic scraper (credit card would work well too) then scrub with a nylon scrubbing pad. I only remove the labels that don't have anything to do with what will be in them .. if something says it's a draught beer and I'm using it to bottle draught beer, I will leave the label on. Good to take to places that don't like the idea of home brew in their homes, you know, posh people.

The funny thing is draught beer is beer off tap ie a keg system. So it's kinda a bit stupid that they put it on a bottle.
It's kinda like when I get people coming in asking for some thing in the pure style. Once again not a real style but marketing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

altpferd said:
I'm a professional cleaner. I just soak in really hot water with a bit of dishwashing detergent. Scrape with a plastic scraper (credit card would work well too) then scrub with a nylon scrubbing pad. I only remove the labels that don't have anything to do with what will be in them .. if something says it's a draught beer and I'm using it to bottle draught beer, I will leave the label on. Good to take to places that don't like the idea of home brew in their homes, you know, posh people.
No drams here, I dont know any posh people let alone be friends with any

barls said:
The funny thing is draught beer is beer off tap ie a keg system. So it's kinda a bit stupid that they put it on a bottle.
It's kinda like when I get people coming in asking for some thing in the pure style. Once again not a real style but marketing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, it's a complete oxymoron to have "Draught" (or Draft) written on anything in a bottle. Draft was always meant to indicate beer in a cask or keg. Bloody marketing departments!

OK, my wife is a genius, and WD40 is god. Tonight she was prepping some bottles for a craft project for our daycare and needed to get the glue off and nothing has worked. She's heard WD40 works. FMD, it works a charm! Those goddamn hot euro 750ml bottles I got that I've never been able to get the glue off, no matter the method? WD40 and a scrubby. Came right off!!! So if you have bottles none of the suggestions here will work on, or can't be arsed going to the shops for something you don't have, head out to the shed and grab your red an blue friend. Erm...

For Coopers bottles I just fill the bottles and submerge in cold water (no need for hot). Leave for a few hours and labels will all peel straight off. Easy.

To remove the glue lines that remain adhered to the bottles, just lightly rub with steel wool whilst the bottles are still submerged. Done.

Latest posts

Back