Remove Brewing Scale From Stainless Steel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpillsMostOfIt

Self-Propelled, Portable Meat-Based Filtration Sys
Reaction score
I've not been able to find a reference here, so...

On a whim today, I added some boiling hot water to a little citric acid in my stainless steel kettle in an attempt to remove the boiled-on scale that accumulates. Previously, I've tried all the usual cleaning suspects.

Said scale just fell off and the kettle is now as shiny as when it came home from the shop. I tried a similar treatment on one of my immersion heaters and it is pretty close to new.

Nice tip. I used a bit of the Pools Hydrocloric Acid, and it stripped all the baked on hop and sugar scum straight off. Funny that :p
But I have found since that Sodium Percarb or PSR does wonders.

Steve

I tend to go with a phosphoric acid based kitchen cleaner in my kitchen kettle. Has a very strong odour however that lingers.

Gets rid of the scale from the hard water quite well.

Haven't had the problem in my brew kettle yet.

undilouted phos works well but wer gloves and watch out for fumes

boiling water! how simple how effective how underated among the sanitising/sterilisation/cleaning fraternity. well done spills :icon_cheers:

Good info. One of my most dreaded brewing tasks is cleaning my immersion element. I'll be giving this a whirl next time I need to clean it (which will be soon!).

But I have found since that Sodium Percarb or PSR does wonders.

Steve

I've found that alkaline cleaners such as those work great at cleaning off the organic gunk like hot break, caramelised sugars etc. It doesn't seem to remove mineral buildup though. I'll be giving citric acid a try this weekend, as I know it's worked in the past for me removing surface rust from corny keg parts.

What sort of rate did you use the citric acid at?
Cheers

I didn't measure it, but I would *guess* at around a quarter of a teaspoon in about half a litre of water. It was one of those things where I was prepared to just throw some in and watch it work, or throw some more in.

Good tip

Has anyone ever come across bulk Citric Acid (like 500g bags) - the only stuff I can buy is from the cake ingredients aisle at the Supermarket - and of course hiddeously overpriced.

RM

RM

Usually places that sell winemaking ingredients have it in bigger bags from memory.

Warren -

I know Roy has it at TWOC, but I have no idea what price it is. I bought about 250g a while back.

Latest posts

Back