Rehydrating.....hurrah

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not had much luck with fermentis s-189 after a few brews trying rehydrating, so decided to bite the bullet and give dry pitching a shot.

I did follow their alternative (to rehydration) instructions which states to sprinkle atop wort at 23 deg C. This I did and I still await the results with baited breath. Four packets atop 10 gallons of wort at around 23 deg C, left it for a couple of hours then set fridge thermostat to 11 deg C. Have not touched it since brewday on July 3. Will test SG and do a forced diacetyl test in next few days and see how it pans out.

Does anybody here brew lagers using dry yeast no rehydrated with any success ?

Goose, Mikey often dry pitches lagers. He uses twice the packets though.

Yes it's going to be successful however to determine if it makes a difference or not you would probably need a panel of qualified judges to do a side by side test. If however you don't notice a difference on your palate, fill your boots and do whatever you want. Hell, I even know a guy who did a brew day with no sanitising as an experiment and he seems to think it turned out fine.

I read in a book that better fermentation occurs when the dry yeast is rehydrated, only if the tap on your fermenter faces the equator. No, um, err, I'm mistaken, I'm going to write a book that says that.

Goose said:
I've not had much luck with fermentis s-189 after a few brews trying rehydrating, so decided to bite the bullet and give dry pitching a shot.

I did follow their alternative (to rehydration) instructions which states to sprinkle atop wort at 23 deg C. This I did and I still await the results with baited breath. Four packets atop 10 gallons of wort at around 23 deg C, left it for a couple of hours then set fridge thermostat to 11 deg C. Have not touched it since brewday on July 3. Will test SG and do a forced diacetyl test in next few days and see how it pans out.

Does anybody here brew lagers using dry yeast no rehydrated with any success ?
Pitch mine dry. Dont find much difference when rehydrating and pitching dry. Never had a problem. Use twice the amount as an ale. Dont freak out if it doesn't kick off in 24 hrs or less. Lag time is longer and its not a fast fermenter, youll see what i mean. Bugger all krausen compared to many ale strains

I done both, rehydrated and not. Made **** all appreciable difference in my opinion, but my opinion along with pretty much anyone elses means **** all if you're making beer you enjoy drinking.

slcmorro said:
I done both, rehydrated and not. Made **** all appreciable difference in my opinion, but my opinion along with pretty much anyone elses means **** all if you're making beer you enjoy drinking.
Yeah, but we're you pitching it left handed or right handed? Massive difference to performance you know.

Yeah I didn't notice any difference in beer quality from sprinkling vs rehydrating either. I still prefer to rehydrate though, if only to throw it into a starter in order to harvest from it.

Rocker1986 said:
Yeah I didn't notice any difference in beer quality from sprinkling vs rehydrating either. I still prefer to rehydrate though, if only to throw it into a starter in order to harvest from it.
That just opened another avenue for discussion...

danestead said:
That just opened another avenue for discussion...
What...Dry v Rehydrated yeast....

Someone started a thread on that I think...... :ph34r:

Ducatiboy stu said:
What...Dry v Rehydrated yeast....

Someone started a thread on that I think...... :ph34r:
Ah, no.

Doing a starter with dry yeast...

This Fermentis PDF indicates (page 6) that it is acceptable to rehydrate in either sterile water or sterile wort I guess the important issue thye make is do it at a certain temperature in a measured vol of water/wort and allow it 30 mins to stabilise before normalising the temperature with the wort you intend pitching it into

The other interesting point is that they state that you should "lower" the temperature if doing a Diacetyl rest on an Ale

http://www.thetinwhisker.net/HCHB/tips_tricks.pdf

Wobbly

Very interesting wobbly. I'll give that document a good read when I get a chance.

A few hundred years ago, brewer monks only rehydrated their yeast in holy-water.

danestead said:
Ah, no.

Doing a starter with dry yeast...
I know it's not necessary to make starters for dry yeast, and I don't make them from a perspective of growing yeast for the main batch. I've mentioned this in other posts about it as well. The only reason I make them is to harvest some of it for future use, as I harvest yeast from my starters rather than post fermentation of the main batch.

My point was that I rehydrate in water first, before pitching into these starters, which I have been previously advised is fine to do.

wobbly said:
The other interesting point is that they state that you should "lower" the temperature if doing a Diacetyl rest on an Ale
Not the way I read it. Both this pdf and the current one from Fermentis http://en.calameo.com/read/0026934555f07e32293ea indicate to increase temp at end of fermentation to reduce diacetyl.

EDIT: Although their table indicates otherwise

Back