Rehydrating.....hurrah

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocker1986 said:
I know it's not necessary to make starters for dry yeast, and I don't make them from a perspective of growing yeast for the main batch. I've mentioned this in other posts about it as well. The only reason I make them is to harvest some of it for future use, as I harvest yeast from my starters rather than post fermentation of the main batch.

My point was that I rehydrate in water first, before pitching into these starters, which I have been previously advised is fine to do.
Sorry dude I wasn't having a go at you, merely saying that doing starters with dry yeast creates debate from time to time as some people like to do it, some don't.

Sorry if you read it another way.

wobbly said:
This Fermentis PDF indicates (page 6) that it is acceptable to rehydrate in either sterile water or sterile wort I guess the important issue thye make is do it at a certain temperature in a measured vol of water/wort and allow it 30 mins to stabilise before normalising the temperature with the wort you intend pitching it into

The other interesting point is that they state that you should "lower" the temperature if doing a Diacetyl rest on an Ale

http://www.thetinwhisker.net/HCHB/tips_tricks.pdf

Wobbly
I think you're missing the main point as the silhouette figure they show throughout the brochure clearly shows the correct stance that must be taken by all Brewers as they pitch the yeast, or infected you will be.

Although seriously, having read a lot in leaflets from yeast manufacturers, books/articles from supposed yeast experts, Internet hubris and the usual uninformed, optionated tosh, I'm convinced that no one has the faintest clue what happens to yeast if you sprinkle versus if you rehydrate, they just have an opinion. All you've got to do is brew a few batches switching between methods to work out what works for you and stick with it until someone presents an idea / 'evidence' there might be a better way; try it a few times and see if it works for you. If it does, yippee you can change your methods, if it doesn't you still have beer. (And I'm using 'you' not to refer to you personally but to Brewers generally, myself included)

I dont see the point in making a starter from dried yeast, unless you dont have enough and need to build it up

Ducatiboy stu said:
I dont see the point in making a starter from dried yeast, unless you dont have enough and need to build it up
I believe he means that it is a better method to build up a future yeast supply than washing it post fermentation.

danestead said:
Sorry dude I wasn't having a go at you, merely saying that doing starters with dry yeast creates debate from time to time as some people like to do it, some don't.

Sorry if you read it another way.
Yeah, that's true. No worries mate. :)

And yes Stu I don't make starters with dry yeast to build them up, simply for harvesting some of it for the future. I find this method easier than rinsing/washing post fermentation. All I have to do is pick the flask up while it's all mixed up and tip some into a jar. :p

Back