Reducing O2 In Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keifer

Reaction score
I normally keg then bottle 4+ longnecks in glass, today i used the coopers pet bottles for a change and thought is there any reason i shouldn't squeeze all the air out when the bottle is filled? as the co2 is produced it will take up the space?
Would you see any benefit in the long term, like 6-12 months in the bottle? If you were gonna bottle that long you'd use glass normally anyway?

Does anyone bother to purge O2 in bottling?

When I bottle from the keg, I use my trusty beer gun. I put the pressure up by a psi or two for a day ahead, then when bottling, turn the pressue way down low. When I run the beer into the bottle, I let it run down the side for a most of the fill, then into the middle as I near the neck. This causes a bit of foaming. What is beer foam? CO2 and beer. When the lid goes on, it goes onto foam. No O2 in the neck, no volume of empty space for the beer to lose carbonation into.

EDIT: Ah, I see you mean the 4 bottles that don't go in the keg... like matti says below, just rest the caps on the bottles for a while, then seal. CO2 will come out of suspension from the agitation of bottling. PET is for n00bs.

After you add the beer +sugar
leave the lid on loose for a while prior to capping
That's enough to get air out.

I am ding dong. :blink:
though it would with Carbed beer as well. :)

Latest posts

Back