Redoak Speacial Release Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammus

Amateur Brewer
Reaction score
Howdy, I was at the Redoak cafe recently and noticed they had a new special release section on their beer menu - which included a couple of $35 bottles and a $75 dollar bottle (250ml)

I'm sure the beer is nice, but is that price realistic? Has anyone tried these?

PS sorry bout the typo in the threat title ;)

I've seen one that was a little bottle in a box worth(?) $50+
I think it was a barley wine. Not a big fan of barley wines I've tried so far so not too sad I missed out on trying it.
Probably designed less for consumption and more for sitting on a shelf as wank factor.

I've seen one that was a little bottle in a box worth(?) $50+
I think it was a barley wine. Not a big fan of barley wines I've tried so far so not too sad I missed out on trying it.
Probably designed less for consumption and more for sitting on a shelf as wank factor.

Much as I like beer, I'm not quite that far gone (yet) :D

Howdy, I was at the Redoak cafe recently and noticed they had a new special release section on their beer menu - which included a couple of $35 bottles and a $75 dollar bottle (250ml)

I'm sure the beer is nice, but is that price realistic? Has anyone tried these?

PS sorry bout the typo in the threat title ;)

IMO, As much as I like beer that price is ridiculous. Its about the same price for 100yr old scotch. How do they expect to sell any. Ive never tried Redoak beer but it cant be worth $35 and definately not $75 per bottle. I dont care how good it is.

they're definitely worth trying. they make some great beers, don't get me wrong. i can find better things to do with that amount of money though.

Well it must be working for them, because they're apparently releasing another batch of Special Reserve. $50 for a 250mL bottle again.

I wouldn't hesitate paying that kind of money for something I was sure would be great, but you can get 20 year-old vintages of Thomas Hardy's off Ebay shipped straight to your door for $10-$15 less than that. I know what I'd choose.

Hi Malnourished,

could you proved a link to any ebay beer sellers, I cant find one anywhere, woudl really like to see if they have any courage IS

I think they have two $75 beers. One is a special framboise and the other is a 2004 Scotch wee heavy.

PS. Gotta love their IPA, although it is a bit steep at $13 for a pint.

Come on, if you were a posh microbrewery and looking to make some ca$h, wouldn't you try putting out an overpriced beer just to see if any suckers paid up? :D

Seriously though, Redoak is nice, but not THAT nice.

It looks like they're selling at the point the market will bear, not at the price that the beer is worth. If anyone has a lazy $110, they should try buy both and let us know if they're good value. Personally, I'd rather spend $110 trying to make the beers myself and have 40 litres of a possibly inferior product.

Interesting marketing angle Redoak are taking.

Hi Malnourished,

could you proved a link to any ebay beer sellers, I cant find one anywhere, woudl really like to see if they have any courage IS
Courage IS is lot more rare than Hardy's, but it does come up. I don't see any available at the moment, but keep an eye out.

I've bought from Birkonian and Anthony_<some numbers> with good results.

Hey guys,

I've had the Special Reserve that won the ABIA grand champion, a few times. A couple of times it was a fairly small taster at events, but I did buy a 250 once. Cant remember what I paid, bu tit wasn't anything like $50.00.

The beer was truley fantastic, but I STILL wouldn't pay $50.00 for it and IMHO the vintage I tasted last had reached its peak and was on the way down (oxidation) mind you, that was only that particular vintage.

Have you guys been to that place.... fancy!! And in that location I would hardly be surprised if they regularly sell $75.00 bottles to corporate wankers who's clients have mentioned that they are into good beer.

If some tosser is offering to buy me one in an effort to impress me and make some cash... then absolutely its worth every penny of 75 bucks........ apart from that, I'm sure its great, but there is no way its that good.

75 for 250mL - that means about what, $225 for a longneck? That would be about 10x more than the Aussie cost of something like Rochefort 10, generally accepted as one of the best beers in the world!

It might be good, but no beer is that good. :lol:

At that rate, i would rather buy a Glenfarclas 25yo or something like that.

Tell 'em they're dreaming, son!

I tried the Grand Reserve Barley Wine once........$15 for 50ml................it was sherry mixed with vegemite................the taste altered as it warmed up a little and became sherry with marmite

This years Grange is over $500.00 for a 750; and people were queueing up. So if you get the marketing hype right, then redoak have a long way to go before they are dreaming.

Stupid people just arent that hard to part from their cash.

Yeah I was the first to try the grand champion reserve barley wine the night they released it, was very pricey but tasted great (probably barely worth it). I heard they have since released several batches that were different from the original (of which was finished soon after the initial release), and nowhere near as good...

Still waiting to hear from someone thats tried such a pricey drink :)

I guess that you get big improvements in taste as you spend a few more dollars on beer (such as your favourite micro/imported beers), however you have to throw increasing amounts of money for a marginal increase in taste.

Also, no doubt you have to be attuned to the flavour nuances of an expensive beer to appreciate it.
Whilst we are laughing at a $75 beer, I'm sure that there are people who laugh at us for buying anything other than New/VB.

Still waiting to hear from someone thats tried such a pricey drink :)

I've had plenty of expensive (read overpriced) wine, but never beer like this. I find Redoak overpriced in general. Don't get me wrong, their beers are great, but the prices they charge for their tiny bottles ($7 for their Christmas special?) is ridiculous.

If I was them, I'd do the same - charge what you can, not what it's worth.

Latest posts

Back