Redoak Special Reserve In Brisbane !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersom

Reaction score
Taken from beeradvocate.com,

Hi all,

Sorry for the very late notice and sketchy details, but Dave Hollyoak - owner and head brewer at Redoak Beer Cafe - will be in Brisbane next weekend and I have managed to arrange for him to present some of his beers at a lunch on Sunday 30th.

This would ordinarily be a special event anyway, but the lunch will also feature Redoak's Special Reserve, the beer awarded Grand Champion at this year's AIBA. This will likely be the only time Brisbane beer lovers will get the chance to try this unique beer without going to Sydney.

To quote the Courier Mail's Rory Gibson:

"The liquid in front of me was special, no doubt about it. Its aroma was pouring out of the glass and wrapping everything within three metres, including nearby diners, in a velvety shroud of perfume that was out of proportion to the amount of ale in the glass."

"Most people in Australia would never have encountered a beer like this. It's a barley wine, a dark English ale style pioneered by the Bass brewery at Burton-upon-Trent, and the inspiration for Hollyoak's Special Reserve Ale was an encounter he had with a glass of Bass No.1 in 1994."
(http://www.couriermail.news.com.au ... 2,00.html)

As I said, details are sketchy as the lunch has just been confirmed tonight, but it will feature five of Redoak's award winning beers - Blackberry Hefeweizen, Organic Hefeweizen, Bock, Belgian Chocolate Stout and the Special Reserve, together with a three course meal with the beers to be presented by Dave Hollyoak and Ian Watson. Cost is likely to be $80 - the venue and menu to be confirmed.

To enable everyone to interact with Dave and talk with him about his beers, there are only going to be 20-25 places available (depending on venue) and some of those are already gone - so if you are interested, drop me a line to reserve your place: [email protected].

Hope to see you there.

Matt

So drop Matt a line if you are interested in attending.
.... I also must admit to an affiliation being one of the organisers

I've put my name down - Anyone else fancy making up a small table? :party:

cheers Ross

Final details here - should be a top day... :party:

Details below. It's not cheap, but the Special Reserve alone is $15 per serve - but it is pretty special. Also, the number are very limited so you will have plenty of time to speak one on one with Dave Hollyoak who, as you probably know, is a former home brewer who turned pro two years ago. If you thought the last lunch was OK I can pretty much guarantee you won't be disappointed by this one.

Give us a call on 0407 968 430 if you want to book in.

Cheers,

Matt

Where: Story Bridge Hotel
When: Sunday 30 July, 12 for 12.30
Cost: $85

Will include the five Redoak beers previously mentioned matched to a three course meal.

While this will be a Redoak showcase, it will also be an excellent beer and food matching session. David Hollyoak, Ian Watson and the Story Bridge's head chef will be creating a menu to match these award winning beers - and did I mention that it will give BAs the exclusive chance to try Redoak's Special Reserve guided of its creator.

The room we have booked (the Signature Cellar Bar - check it out on the Story Bridge's website) only seats 20 so if you're keen, get in quick. I have already taken half that in bookings and I have only got home from and haven't checked my email yet...message me or email at [email protected].

So Ross, how was the dinner? Care to give us a summary of the highlights of the evening? Did the Reserve live up to expectations (and price)?

- Snow.

So Ross, how was the dinner? Care to give us a summary of the highlights of the evening? Did the Reserve live up to expectations (and price)?

- Snow.

Very nice lunch - great company & a sore head to match (will teach me to hit the commercial stuff afterwards). All the beers were exceptional - We had the hefewiezen, blackberry hefeweizen, Bock, chocolate stout & the highlight, finishing on the Grand Reserve. I never realised before how brilliantly a bock goes with steak, both bring out the best in each other - I'd always been a red wine man with steak, but I'm now converted. The GR was absolutely outstanding, up to the hype & more... we were sat around with inane grins on our faces, savouring the aroma & taking tiny sips. The complexities the different oak agings have given this beer are awesome, vanilla & spice balanced perfectly with the malt & hops. If you ever get a chance to try this beer, don't let it pass :beer:

cheers Ross

Back