Redland Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave

Reaction score
With my new found skills in (basic) AG and my new acquisition of a Beersmith key, does anyone know the water profile for Redland Shire water? Tried a search on both here and the Redland website with no result.

I'm keen to know too, but haven't had any luck yet.

I called the Redlands Council last year, and they weren't keen to provide me with any info.

who ever supplies your water should have a water quality report, they can be a long read however.

If i can remember to, ill ask a certain someone who works high up in RSC.

who ever supplies your water should have a water quality report, they can be a long read however.

I tried to get that info from the Sunshine coast regional too, but got the answer "file an FOI request for it and we'll supply it". Still don't think it's right, but in the face of such beaurocracy (sp?) I figured I'd just take a guess at it, (a calcium scum forms on the shower head after about two weeks, so I figure it's reasonably hard), my mash pH tends to stay around the 5.2 mark, so I guess I'm not far off ideal. <sigh> but I really want to know what I'm dealing with<sigh>

i wonder what they are trying to hide at least us mexicans can get the info of the net!

Since the inception of the SEQ water grid it is not possible to get an chemical analysis for an area. If RSC in within this grid you are out of luck. All the water from the various sources dams, desalination, bores and recycle are lumped together into a homoginous soup. You will sometimes be able to get a snapshot of "typical" urban water but whether it was anywhere near your place is suspect. The lastest that we have been able to get is on the Babbs webbsite which appears to be down at the moment so I can't refer you to the water page.

You could take a sample of your tap water out to them at Darra and has it tested - will cost you about $130 at last time we inquired.

HD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Redlands water come from Straddie? If that is the case, I'm pretty sure the EPA does extensive testing over there.

When I asked RSC they told me that what they release to the public can be found in their Annual Report. I had a look, but it only gave general info about whether certain guidlines had been met, etc. Nothing specific like pH and mineral levels, etc.

I believe that the Redlands in not part of the grid - yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Redlands water come from Straddie? If that is the case, I'm pretty sure the EPA does extensive testing over there.

Comes from both Straddie and the dam at Capalaba that runs into Tingalpa Creek.

Sooooo anyone in the general sunshine coast area want to put in for an analysis to be done? I think that just about every place under the SSC regional council all get their water from Baroon pocket, so taking one sample and getting it done would be valuable info.

I'd be happy to co-ordinate the process, and source a sample if not from my tap then from a tap in the service area anyway. It's just that I can barely justify expense of the grains I use for brewing let alone trying to get a water analysis done. <mumble something about picky keepers of the purse-strings>

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking your thread too BTW.

Where I live the water is mainly from Leslie Harison Dam. I guess my own self sample might be better as it will include anything extra picked up on it's way to my pot. I'll see what a FOI or a friend request can unearth too.

Redlands isn't actually joined to anyother water grid yet, so no mixing of water is occuring. Why didn't anyone think of the homebrewers before they decided to mix the water sources :p

Had a look on the BABBs website and the water samples are only for BCC :(

If your really serious about water profiling buy a reverse osmosis filter and filter your brew water. Starting with neutral water means it is relatively simple to produce the water you want for the beer you want to make.
Cheers Altstart :)

If your really serious about water profiling buy a reverse osmosis filter and filter your brew water. Starting with neutral water means it is relatively simple to produce the water you want for the beer you want to make.
What I need to get MORE gear? <how the h**l am I supposed to sell that to the banker? :lol:

Altstart, what would a RO filter be worth? On Bribie the water isn't too bad since we started getting most of it from the Mainland instead of just the bores on the island, but it would be great to have a neutral water to start off with.

Latest posts

Back