Redds Apple Ale Recipe - Does anyone have one?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cervantes

Reaction score
The wife has been drinking Redds Apple Ale lately, it's a sort of beer/cider hybrid.

The label says "Crisp Like an Apple - Brewed Like a Beer"

I only had one sip last night, but would describe the taste as a malty beer, very few if any hops, with apple juice added.

I found it quite sweet, so am guessing that the apple juice may have been added post fermentation as my limited experience with cider is that the sugar in the apple juice is very fermentable and ferments right out.

I was wondering if any one had a recipe for this or something similar?

I'd rather be brewing it than buying it.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Cervantes said:
It's a sort of beer/cider hybrid.

The label says "Crisp Like an Apple - Brewed Like a Beer"
'Graff' is the word that you're looking for here - cider + malt. The most common recipe you'll see will be one from HomeBrewTalk by a guy called Brandon O.

I've never had Redds before (a few people braver than I who have tried it said that it is shithouse, but I'm not here to pass judgement on anyone's tastes!), but my assumption from your description is that it is likely a graff that has been pasturised and then backsweetened with more apple juice.
If you keg, you could just make a graff, then keg and add apple juice to the keg. Low temp should stop it from fermenting the added apple juice.
If you bottle, you could just add a shot of apple juice to the serving glass

Latest posts

Back