Red Ale redness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gTrain

Reaction score
I am a kits n bits brewer at the moment.

Am looking for a recipe for an Irish Red Ale where the finished brew is red.

The last attempt at a red ale was the Coopers recipe which whilst turning out as a nice beer, it wasn't "red". Trawling through the recipes here & elsewhere different brewers add steeped grains to their recipes.

Does anyone have any success with achieving a true red beer?

Hi gTrain

I am by no means and expert but I brewed something that was similar to a 'Red IPA' a while back and used some pale LME and steeped some Crystal 60L. It turned out red in my eyes.

Small amounts of roast barley, caraaroma, dark xtal or a combo of all 3 will give red.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Small amounts of roast barley, caraaroma, dark xtal or a combo of all 3 will give red.
Emphasis on small. My only attempt at an Irish Red so far was pitch black - way too much (270 grams in 24 litres) roasted barley.

My irish red has equal parts crystal 40, 120 and roast barley. Generally around 180-220g for a 25L batch, gives a nice caramel and malty flavour with a nice bit of burnt/coffee flavour from the roast barley.

JD

Around 300g of Caraaroma makes a nice red with interesting raisin overtones.

red.jpg

Yep and a touch of black or carafa 1,2 or 3 or roast barley.

It is really just like colouring in. :D

Ducatiboy stu said:
You need more than just carared
Carered isn't really red at all, Caraaroma is the go, that's all I ever use for red ales. I often feel that Weyermann totally mis-named Carared.

redder.jpg

Irish Red.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yeah...carared can be way to seeet
Yup, it's pretty sweet. I use it just like any other light caramel malt to add a touch of sweetness / light caramel flavour in certian beers, but never used it for its (not so) red colour. As many others have said, really dark malts or roasted barley are the key to redness.

I could elaborate on the physics of why, but that's not important and would probably put people to sleep. Just stick to the dark grains.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the photos, I think I will go with Bribie G's suggestion & put down this:

Coopers Pale Ale tin
1kg LDM
200g Caraaroma - steeped
50g Roasted Barley - steeped
Kit yeast - can't justify trip to Adelaide for yeast
22 litres.

If it turns out as hoped will post photos for comparison.

Thanx

Greg

Latest posts

Back