Recommendations for a wort chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IV got a plate Chiller and i had so many issues cleaning it and was about to move it on. Then i started using a hop spider just done the 2nd brew today with the hop spider and it worked great, before this i was getting blockages and all sorts of drama.

To Clean i rinse with Hot water straight after use, Both directions and i tap it on the ground as i do it.

then i run some PBW mix through it and let it soak for 25min then rinse and tap again in both directions.

Then i cook it for 1 hour in the oven at 200c and cover the in/out with foil for next use.

So it is a bit of a process but i chill a 27 lt batch directly into fermenter at pitching temp of 25c in about 3 mins. (Yes it pitch dry yeast at 25c then put it straight into my fridge and chill to 18c)

Looking at building a IC Chiller for the new Hombraumeister build. it would be a double coil build.

I now use a plate chiller,i get better whirlpool when done with hot wort.plate chiller gets a soak in caustic overnight after each brew pic attached is what comes out after each soaking. i then soak in fresh water for several days and sanitise it with my fermenter on brew-day if any one wants my immersion chiller for $80 they can have it pick up only port Stephens area. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1458389458.943599.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1458389537.660106.jpg
Chiller fits in a 400mm dia kettle

osprey brewday said:
I now use a plate chiller,i get better whirlpool when done with hot wort.plate chiller gets a soak in caustic overnight after each brew pic attached is what comes out after each soaking. i then soak in fresh water for several days and sanitise it with my fermenter on brew-day if any one wants my immersion chiller for $80 they can have it pick up only port Stephens area.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1458389458.943599.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1458389537.660106.jpg
Chiller fits in a 400mm dia kettle
what are the funnels for?

SBOB said:
what are the funnels for?
I recirculate the caustic with a measuring cup every so often during soaking it seems to push out any hop material and replaces the caustic in the chiller with fresher stuff from the bucket.

I have an Exchilerator CCFC. Highly recommended. Can get the sort of numbers the plate chiller guys are talking about but you can always run a flexible brush through it when worried.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hi there,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I have read so many posts on wort chillers and would like to confirm my thoughts on a IC. I’m a little confused….[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I am leaning towards a IC for the below reasons:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]- I currently no chill so want to avoid the next day work by chilling into fermenter and pitching on the brew day[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- I like simplicity and hate cleaning [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- i don't or want to use pumps, power, complex piping etc that adds to cleaning[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- I am on mains water only but hope to use wasted IC water for all my cleaning post brew[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- I already have a small copper IC that I intend to use in an ice bucket. Intent to use frozen water in ice cream containers.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- I have heaps of space for storage[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I am confused on the below:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]Do IC chillers remove the IC then whirlpool after the wort is cold and then wait for 30mins or so for settle?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]How much water is used roughly for a 23l batch, are we taking 50L, 100L, 150L. I want to avoid waste by capturing and reusing but need a rough estimate of usage.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]- [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]If I can't get down to 15 to 18 Degs with IC, do most IC’ers just put the coolish wort in the fridge and wait till it hits pitching temp.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]My main reason for not using any other chiller is i don’t want pumps, pipes, electricity cables etc. and I hate cleaning. With the IC I will leave it all in 1 piece with hose fitting etc and just plug into my garden hose.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks for your assistance in advance[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Ivan[/SIZE]

I use a 15m SS IC in 40-50L wort. Have not measured water wasted, but I collect about 40L of hot water then waste a truck load until the wort is down to 35-40C. Then I recirculate using a $20 pond pump in an Esky full of frozen soft drink bottles until it's down to pitching temp. Takes a fair while, but hoping to speed it up with a paint stirrer attached to a drill next brew day.

Used on of these for last two years without a problem.

Last brewday, Sunday just gone, single run of 40L hot wort down to 21 degrees using pump and water tank in 20 minutes. I've never had a hop blockage and it's easy to flush when done.
plate30SHORTGHx12-2.jpg

My vote goes to immersion chilling.

I spent a fair bit of time thinking about which method to go with and I was on point to build myself a CFC, but then I thought about cleaning. While no-chilling, my brew session would take around 4 hours and I was keen to increase that as little as possible. Now I pull the IC out and hose it off in about 10 seconds.

See attached my ghetto pre-chilling arrangement, yep, thats the garden hose running about 5-6m through a box of iced water, easy.

My decision was also influenced by the kind air-con installers who left behind a suitable length copper coil for me to re-purpose after they completed their work at our rental. It's 5/8" and 3/8" running in tandem with the 3/8" Tee'd into the 5/8". Chills 23l down to 25deg in 10-15 mins with the whirlpool pumping around.

20160528_223843.jpg

How much difference does the garden hose setup make matplat? I love how ghetto this is!

+1 plate chiller. ive used all 3 and plate is most efficient, just use a hop filter of some kind and clean thoroughly

Immersion chiller for me.
I BiaB, the chiller goes in the same time as the whirlfloc (15 minutes ) . Water in then out onto the various veggie patches.
My chiller is 5/8" copper after 15 mins I bung a Coopers mash " agitator " in the guts of the chiller and stir like a madman to sort out the excess heat trapped inside and around the chiller and after 25 minutes 25 litres of wort is damn close to 20 degrees Celsius .
I have found that if I don't agitate it will take 40+ minutes to get close to pitching temp,and that's a lot of wasted water!
And cleaning an immersion chiller is a breeze .

Has anyone tried the cyclone wort chiller build

index.jpeg

Rude,
I liked the look of that CFC as well for both chilling & counterflow herms. So a plumber mate that owed me a favour put this one together on the weekend. 6m of 1/2" inside 3/4" copper with kinko's that can be undone for cleaning. Tested it out on an ipa & it chilled from 100c to 25c in about 20 mins using 3 buckets of tap water. Second test on the same recipe had hop stands at 80c & 60c both for 30 mins, which just entailed keeping the wort circulating & turning off the tap water. Next test is to use iced water & a stronger pump which should in theory reduce that time even further, then with a hop back, then as a counterflow herms etc etc

I'm really happy with it so far, tho from a cost perspective (unless your a plumber) the one from Jaded Brewing in the US would be a cheaper option.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1466553526.339232.jpg

Ben1 said:
How much difference does the garden hose setup make matplat? I love how ghetto this is!
Yeah, I was pretty pleased with my ghetto efforts! I've only had the chiller for two brews and I used the 'pre-chiller' on both of them so I don't actually have a comparison. I should probably do a test to quantify the difference.... needless to say, the copper at the chiller in side is pretty cold I'd say maybe 15deg? Again, I should take some measurements....

I'm thinking about trying out a different setup using a smaller container with the same amount of ice to get a lower pre-chill temp, but it will obviously allow a shorter length of hose in the chilling water. I'm not sure whats more important, lower water temperature, or longer length of hose in the pre-chiller....

I AM JUST GOING TO IGNORE EVERYTHING THE OP SAID EXCEPT FOR CHILL AND SAY THAT I NO CHILL AND WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY.

PS I DONT WASTE ANY WATER THIS WAY.....

radshoes said:
I AM JUST GOING TO IGNORE EVERYTHING THE OP SAID EXCEPT FOR CHILL AND SAY THAT I NO CHILL AND WOULDN'T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY.

kbk9s69.jpg

rude said:
Has anyone tried the cyclone wort chiller build

attachicon.gif
index.jpeg
Yep,

Great fun, leaks terribly, works brilliantly.

And it is twice as awesome because I made it.

Inspired by Time4AnotherOne

radshoes said:

Seems like you miss out on free heating of your cleanup water to me....

Latest posts

Back