Recommendations for a wort chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plate chiller user here, so i'll say
'why not a plate chiller?'

Mate I think the one chief consideration is the height of the chiller compared to the wort depth it will sit in. If half of the chiller is sitting above the wort then it's a bit of a waste.

@SBOB my concern with a plate chiller is that it's difficult to clean.

@razz good point. I checked the one I listed and the coils are 26cm. I think that should be fine for my kettle.

carry-can-20l_1.jpg

I think I can predict where this tread is going to go (JDW beat me to it)
If I were you I would go a bit cheaper and get all stainless -
http://www.nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/brewing-equipment-pots-and-hardware/other-immersion-chiller-14m
Easier to clean and will perform just as well for a typical brew size of 23l.
You'll get comments regard thermal transfer coefficients, and the reality is that while copper is a better conductor stainless will do the job just fine. Likewise with the length, there becomes a point of diminishing returns.
Stu will chime in and recommend a spaghetti chiller and he is correct, a random spaghetti type chiller is a better performer.
A counterflow chiller is an excellent option and can be manufactured yourself or purchased at a premium from somewhere like ibrew. They're less prone to gunking up than a plate chiller but are harder to clean than an immersion chiller.

razz said:
Mate I think the one chief consideration is the height of the chiller compared to the wort depth it will sit in. If half of the chiller is sitting above the wort then it's a bit of a waste.
Critical too with an immersion chiller is to keep the wort moving

TheWiggman said:
Just trying to make the point you don't necessarily need a wort chiller and it is possible to make hop forward beers no chill.

If I were getting a wort chiller I'd go counterflow myself (I'd probably build one - lots of good instructions on the interwebs).

JD

I am also in the plate chiller fan club, i wouldn't be buying any of the ones available in australia though. It's all about the length, not how many plates you have! If you don't get anything in them, they aren't hard to clean. dudadiesel in the states have a massive range.

Brewmart also have stainless and copper convoluted wort chillers for not much more then the copper immersion chillers. I'd be going that path if i was you, immersion chillers use an incredible amount of water. With my plate chiller i use an old fermenter with 20litres of water in it and a pump, add 2 bags of ice as im chilling one pass into the fermenter. Always within a few degrees of pitching temp.

34 cm if your kettle can handle it, $60 plus postage. Unused. Due to the shape, post could be a bit of a bugger but might not be too bad and probably work out cheaper than a newy. Copper is copper.

chiller.jpg

TheWiggman said:
If I were you I would go a bit cheaper and get all stainless -
http://www.nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/brewing-equipment-pots-and-hardware/other-immersion-chiller-14m
Easier to clean and will perform just as well for a typical brew size of 23l.
You'll get comments regard thermal transfer coefficients, and the reality is that while copper is a better conductor stainless will do the job just fine. Likewise with the length, there becomes a point of diminishing returns.
Stu will chime in and recommend a spaghetti chiller and he is correct, a random spaghetti type chiller is a better performer. :)
A counterflow chiller is an excellent option and can be manufactured yourself or purchased at a premium from somewhere like ibrew. They're less prone to gunking up than a plate chiller but are harder to clean than an immersion chiller. But still easier than a plate.
Next one i do will be a counterflow made with 10mm copper pipe and 1" hose.

Either way no chiller is perfect,

Plate chillers are very efficient but prone to be infection sources unless cleaned to with an inch of it s life. Some brewers have had issues with plate chillers due to how hard they can be to keep clean

Immersion chillers are not very efficient unless your wort is always moving, then you need to let it settle before transferring to the fermenter. They need either lots of water or pumps too recirculate. ( When I was on tank water it wasnt an issue, just ran the outlet back into the tank )

Counter flow chillers are really good, but not that easy to make.

Bribie G said:
34 cm if your kettle can handle it, $60 plus postage. Unused. Due to the shape, post could be a bit of a bugger but might not be too bad and probably work out cheaper than a newy. Copper is copper.

attachicon.gif
chiller.jpg
Bargain at $60

Oh so many choices what to do?!?!?! First I'd be on the immersion CFC debate, Immersion and I'd be wanting it to fit my kettle (imersion) so as females won't tell you it's about size. SS V Copper is negligible at HB scale me I'm a SS guy, fermenters next. CFC I'd go this one, yeah costs crap loads but all SS and you will NEVER need to upgrade. oh and they do have it in copper too.

ED: TYping lessons are on the list

So how do you plate chillers go with hops do you use hop socks
Anyone have SS cube that would be nice

I think the notion that plate chillers are difficult to clean is bumpkin. Been using one for a couple of years and never had an infection issue. Only time I've had infections was with no chill.
I also add hops to the wort so there will be a bit getting to the chiller though of course whirlpool and settle means the great majority of break and hops dont get in there.

Cleaning is simple, put the hose onto the wort inlet and let it run through for a minute then onto the outlet for a minute. Drain most of the water out and then soak in Na perc with the rest of the brewing gear for a day. Rinse with fresh water and drain out.

I've heard of guys putting them in ovens and all that sort of stuff but my routine has given me absolutely no issues and has been tested on probably 40 -50 brews.

I've used a plate chiller for years. It's a mashmaster chillout 30 plate. Never had a problem with cleaning /infection. Knocks 70 degrees off in one pass. Had 90 deg wort in it yesterday, mains water the other ways, 20 in the fermenter. Chilling water goes to the vege garden. Yeast pitched. Back flush with hot water, forward flush, drain then starsan. Piece of cake. Wouldn't do it any other way. Have done in the past, but this is the best IMO.

+1 plate chiller. Small space, quick chilling.

Use hop spider to minimise muck.

Starsan flush before use
Recirc boiling wort for 20 mins before chilling.

Clean with back and worth flush.

Then recirc warm sodium perc for 30 odd mins whilst cleaning pump etc.

I made myself a counter flow as inspired by the late Paul Wicksteed. Works like a charm.

came in around $50 but some of the materials I all ready had or acquired for nix.

Took about 2 hours to build start to finish.

counterflow%20chiller_zpssjbntdsj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MastersBrewery said:
Oh so many choices what to do?!?!?! First I'd be on the immersion CFC debate, Immersion and I'd be wanting it to fit my kettle (imersion) so as females won't tell you it's about size. SS V Copper is negligible at HB scale me I'm a SS guy, fermenters next. CFC I'd go this one, yeah costs crap loads but all SS and you will NEVER need to upgrade. oh and they do have it in copper too.

ED: TYping lessons are on the list
no affiliation with ibrew or brewmart but that exact same chiller is on the brewmart website for $195 instead of $275 on ibrew

Latest posts

Back