Recommendations for a wort chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tumi2 said:
Question for immersion chillers, I have only ever No Chilled so not sure about the whirlpool process......

I now have 2 immersion chillers, one 15m for the wort and one 5m to sit in a esky of iced water. Do you whirlpool the cooled wort after taking the chiller out or do i forgo the whirlpool due to infection risk?
My post #33.
I leave the immersion chiller in until the desired temp has been reached then run off into the fermentor.
Can you give more detail on your immersion chillers ?
Am I correct in thinking that you use 2 different immersion chillers and are removing one then adding the second to reach the pitching temp,is this the reason you are worried about infection ?.
If you are using 2 I strongly suggest you stop and and use only one immersion chiller that is put into use at a minimum of 15 minutes from the end of the boil. The 15 minutes is proven and accepted to be the minimum for sanitisation ( not laboratory standard) in home brewing.

spog said:
My post #33.
I leave the immersion chiller in until the desired temp has been reached then run off into the fermentor.
Can you give more detail on your immersion chillers ?
Am I correct in thinking that you use 2 different immersion chillers and are removing one then adding the second to reach the pitching temp,is this the reason you are worried about infection ?.
If you are using 2 I strongly suggest you stop and and use only one immersion chiller that is put into use at a minimum of 15 minutes from the end of the boil. The 15 minutes is proven and accepted to be the minimum for sanitisation ( not laboratory standard) in home brewing.
Nah, i wasnt clear enough regarding the 2 chillers.

I use the 15m one in the wort and i sit the smaller 5 m one in an esky of iced water. I run the input hose into the iced water one to cool the water on the way through it. It then exits nice and cold into the 15 m chiller which is in the wort.

mind you i have not done it yet but that is the plan. i was lucky enough to be given a small copper 5m coil that i can use to further chill the water before it enters the wort chiller.

I was worried about infection from stirring the whirlpool when the wort is chilled. i usually whirlpool when wort is hot because i no chill.

I would call the second smaller coil a pre-chiller, it's job is to chill the tap water passing through it.

For your main question, whirlpool while it is chilling as it will help cool the wort quicker.

Has the benefits of copper to the brew been mentioned (if there is any benefit)? In a really early episode of Brew Strong they talked about metals and brewing. The guest pro brewer on the show said that copper should be included in every brew (I cant remember why) even to the point of putting a piece of copper pipe in the boil kettle/mash tun. If its true and I ever considered using a chiller Id just go with the simple copper immersion chiller :unsure: .

http://s125483039.onlinehome.us/archive/bs_metals9-29-08.mp3

Used my home made copper IC for the first time last night. Chilled down approx 20L in 11min flat.

Can't complain with that!

sixfignig said:
Used my home made copper IC for the first time last night. Chilled down approx 20L in 11min flat.

Can't complain with that!
Wait until summer when the tap water is 30°C.

mstrelan said:
Wait until summer when the tap water is 30°C.
Water temp was 20C coming out of my laundry faucet. Will probably pickup a cheap pond/drill pump to recirculate chilled water in an esky come summer.

Latest posts

Back