Recommendations For A Locally Available Scottish?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermented

I have the body of a god: Buddha.
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm looking for recommendations for a locally (Sydney, NSW) available Scottish Ale.

I would like to try a Scottish Light, Heavy or Export or few as I would like to try my hand at brewing one and need to know what kind of flavour profile I am shooting for. Yes, the BJCP guidleines are very nice, but there's nothing better than one's tastebuds to get an idea of what one enjoys.

Hoping for some guidance from experience.

Cheers - Fermented.

Cool... any hints on where to buy?

Cheers - Fermented.

Redoak's Wee Heavy is a Scotch Ale, not a Light, Heavy or Export. No way it could fit into any of those categories, it's 8% ABV!

If any are available locally I'd presume it would be Orkney or Belhaven bottled beers.

Personally I think that although the styles have great historical purpose, the example beers do not reflect the guidelines. Beers like Belhaven 60/- (on cask) fit better into Bitter categories, and don't actually reflect the style guidelines outlined by BJCP, at least in my opinion. Not to mention the factual errors regarding Scottish brewing. Edinburgh was a centre of Pale Ale production, and had easy access to hops both locally and via transport from Kent and other growing regions.

edit -

This statement bugs me too:

"The optional peaty, earthy and/or smoky character comes from the traditional yeast and from the local malt and water rather than using smoked malts."

The earthy flavours I picked up in Scottish ales more often than not seemed like hop character due to earthy hops like fuggles!

Anyone ever used Baird's Marris Otter (Scottish) ?

How about WYeast 1728 (Scottish Ale) ?

Did you get a peaty, earthy or smoky character?

I certainly didn't pick it up in the water in any locations in Scotland. You'd expect to be able to taste it if it can show through in the beer.

Probably should stop ranting but these styles frustrate me.

Fermented,

this isn't a bad start:

McEwans_Export_Scottish_L.jpg

McEwan's Export Scottish Ale
Export pours a very nice head and the aroma is pleasant. A creamy sort of feel on your palate with a very tasty flavour. Goes down smoothly as well.
$3.99
Single (500ml Can x 1)
$79.99
Carton (500ml Can x 24)
qty:

http://www.beerstore.com.au/detail.asp?beerID=524

To me, Baron's Black Wattle is based on a scottish ale. Worth a try at least IMHO.

Hello!

I'm looking for recommendations for a locally (Sydney, NSW) available Scottish Ale.

I would like to try a Scottish Light, Heavy or Export or few as I would like to try my hand at brewing one and need to know what kind of flavour profile I am shooting for. Yes, the BJCP guidleines are very nice, but there's nothing better than one's tastebuds to get an idea of what one enjoys.

Hoping for some guidance from experience.

Cheers - Fermented.

Pretty sure I've seen a scottish or two at 1st Choice, North Rocks. It could've been the orkney one.

I have seen the Orkney Dragonshead + Raven (I think). Also Deuchars IPA. But none of these are actually "scottish ale" in the sense of the style.

Check the little bottle-o in Glebe, also Camperdown's main store. Vintage have been doing a good job of late, and the one in Newtown has a pretty good selection at the moment.

I grew up thereabouts (Newcastle actually but only 40 miles from the Border) and our ale styles were closely interlinked as Scottish and Newcastle Breweries were a transnational ;) across the border, as were Vaux / Lorimers.

The Scottish 'bands' of strength were based on the amount of excise paid on a barrel, in shillings and there were, and still are, 60/-, 70/-, 80/- etc.

The beer illustrated above is a good example of an 80/- albeit nuked in the can and a bit darker than I remember the draught version. /Edit: and as Kook points out above, now brewed in Yorkshire but read on and the connection will become clear! /edit. As a young guy, we drank Newcastle Exhibition and McEwans export as what in the south would be described as a 'best bitter'. They were fairly strong by pom standards, sweetish and distinctly but not overpoweringly hopped. Other good examples at the time were Northern Clubs Federation Special and Vaux Sampson. Now both deceased.

Below that was a band of ales, the 70/-, that tended to be darker, drier and easy drinking with malt dominating. Examples of this were Lorimers Scotch and McEwans Scotch. Not to be confused with whisky, the name was used in NE England to describe the dark 70/- brews and they were very much the working man's matey-matey drink a bit like XXXX gold is over here. A bit of a stand out here is John Smiths bitter which, despite being made in Yorkshire, always struck everybody as being a bog standard Scotch and when Courage merged with Scottish and Newcastle and bought John Smith the brew became quite popular in NE England and it was definitely in the Scotch stable. You should be able to get a can of that over here and it will be a good although not perfect example of what you would be aiming for in a 70/-

When I was living there, 60/- ales were just about extinct although they were still around in Edinburgh. Newcastle Breweries made a sort of 60/- incongruously called IPA but I expect it's long gone, and it tasted very bland and not worth drinking in my opinion at the time. Maybe some Scots on the forum would know more about 60 shillings brews.

Any Belhaven brews you can get hold of would be an excellent guide of course, and the Old Deuchars Brewery has started up again in Edinburgh with the original victorian mash tuns etc so do a search on Deuchars.

edit again: also Kook is perfectly correct in that the 'top' ales in Scotland and Newcastle tended to be pale / golden and not dark, the 70/-s were darker and whilst south of the border were referred to as 'scotch' , north of the border were referred to as 'heavy'.... referring to the colour not the strength. I also do not subscribe to the 'difficulty in obtaining hops due to crippling transport costs' hypothesis. Both Newcastle and the Forth were major coal exporters by ship (Cap'n Cook's Endeavour was a converted collier) and with a thriving trade up and down the coast, EKG could be landed cheaply in Edinburgh and Newcastle as a back load no probs. /edit

Damn it's threads like this that make me want to head down to Flight Centre :p :p

Thanks for the hints, fellas!

Looks like I'm going beer shopping after this Christmas caper is done. :D

Cheers - Fermented.

Latest posts

Back