Recommend Me A Lager Yeast Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanga

Reaction score
It will be used to make a dark, lemonade, and possibly even a cider, so as neutral tasting as possible. Dry or liquid, either is good. Cheers.

Maybe better with US05 Tanga, rather than a lager yeast. It is well used by forum members for non beer type drinks. If it has to be a lager then perhaps 3470.

Lager yeasts can produce a lot of hydrogen sulphide (rotten eggs gas) and in fact the trace of sulphur in the aroma is an integral part of that nice "whiff" you get when you open a bottle of Czech or German beer, it's not just all about the hops.
Danger with using a lager yeast in a non-beer drink is that if you get a bit of stinky carry-over there's nothing to hide behind and in fact it might even taste like the apples were rotten to start off with.

I also vote for US-05 or a sparkling wine yeast. Check out the sponsors, CB for one does an impressive range of wine and ginger beer yeasts.

I don't have temp control, hence the request. I would love to use one of my fave ale or wine yeasts, but cannot. I am unable to have any temp control, so a non-stinks / sulphur lager suggestion is all I'm really after.

Actually Nottingham will ferment right down to under 14 degrees - as the Poms regularly do - I've even had it plugging away at 12 (to my amazement) which is right in lager territory.

Hmmm, interesting. Nottinham might be the one then. Does it still taste the same at those temps? Nottingham is a good ale yeast. If the taste is still good when low it may very well be my new fave, especially since it comes in dry.

Just added a twin-pack of each (Nottingham and S-189) to my shopping cart. Thanks guys =)

Damn it! Their dried yeast selection is amazing.

Latest posts

Back