Recommend a stir plate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldspace

Reaction score
Made the natural progression upto all grain this year and loving it.

I've had luck in the past reculturing coopers yeast etc from shaking starters, but want to invest now in a stir plate. My kids want to buy me one for Father's Day.
Any recommendations of ones you guys use and like or dislike?
Max price $100.

Cheers

The digital stirplate that was listed in these forums is pretty good and has a lifetime guarantee, think it was around $85 when I got mine a few years back.

another digital user here.
you won't do better

Wow thanks for the amazing feedback guys!

Coldspace, I'll send you a PM because we're currently out of stock but we can sort something out if you're keen.

Michael, I'm another who is keen but as you say your website is a bit bare on stock at the mo (stir plates, flasks, etc).
Do you have an eta for restocking?

PM sent ken.

It'll be about a month for our next batch to arrive but we can still cobble a few more together using an older artwork on the front for peeps that can't wait.

I don't have a digital stir plate, however I do have a few of the stir bars and they are great compared to the one that I originally had. Much quieter operation which is excellent.

O/T a little.. Michael, is there any ETA on the font snakes being back in stock?

On the subject of flasks.
I have been making starters using Wyeast smack packs but just using HDPE bottles and shaking manually
Now going to stirplate so what size flasks do you guys recommend to get for starters for around 1.050 - 1.065 brews
Would 3L flasks be OK for general purpose or are multiple sizes necessary?

It depends on the size of your batches really... a standard 20 odd litre batch it should be fine. I have a 3L for ales and a 5L for lagers. I don't brew big beers but I do harvest a portion of my starters for re-use later, so I like to make them a little bigger than necessary.

Have a play around on http://yeastcalculator.com/ this calculator. I honestly prefer it over Mr Malty.

OK yeah
normally 23-24L brews - rarely brew lagers usually ales
Don't harvest at this stage just a fresh smack pack for each brew

Ok fair enough. I'd probably say a 3L size just to be on the safe side and give you more flexibility. You don't want to have to make a 2.5L starter for a big brew and only have a 2L flask in which to do it. ;)

I only have a 2L flask and I often ditch the spent wort and add more fresh stuff to it but a bigger flask would be easier for sure.

Recommend DIY Stirplate Kit (V2). I like mine and am happy to use it for my starters.
I have a 2 litre W1010 starter on it right now

Regarding the flasks, I love the 3L flasks and use them more than my 5L one. The smaller flask helps if you've gotta fit it in the fridge to decant. The 5L is still handy for high gravity and lagers though.

Im also keen on getting my hands on a Digital Stirplate, but happy to wait

Can you also explain the pricing on the website, as it defaults to US dollars ?

I started out with one of the very first 'analogue' stirplate from Michael and later upgraded to the digital one.
His dedication and customer service is second to none (like, really!!), couple that with a well thought out product and you really can't go wrong.

Latest posts

Back