Recommend A Brewery I can Take The Missus To Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky

hop addict
Reaction score
I have a few breweries I like to frequent based purely on beers I like but the missus has suggested I take her to one to see why I like them so much!
Her requirements are purely based on food which is a problem as none of the ones I like do food.
Can some one recommend me a brewery preferably in Melb South East I can take her to that has descent food and a few hoppy beers?
Currently thinking:

Dainton - Never been there and they have pizzas, not sure the missus will be happy with pizza
Public Brewery - Looks like they have good food but no mention on the web of what beers they have on tap(do tey even do beer on tap or only in bottle?)
2 Brothers - Ok food but not many hoppy beers on tap currently
Red Hill - Basic food not sure the missus will like
Mornington - Not a fan of their beers but the missus would like their food.

Any other suggestions? I'm hoping to keep both of us happy! Imagine Beechworth brewery serving Kaiju beers would be my ideal!
Cheers,

Lots and lots

Bad Sheppard in Cheltenham does food and beer, small outdoor area if its a nice day, can get busy and a bit hipstery at times but nice.I reckon based on her criteria this would probably suit.

Moon Dog is funky in Richmond and has an interesting selection, not sure about food
Boatrocker in Mordialloc also has an interesting mix usually on, not sure on food here
Mountain Goat also in Richmond, a bit more commercial, great pub opposite it too, I think they do food

One from left field, take her to the Grape and Grain in Moorabbin, not a brewery Per Se but does have a small micro brewery in there and you cant beat it for an excellent selection of draught and bottled beer, also you can take food from anywhere into there or order for delivery in there. If you check out their website they usually have a list of whats on tap, usually always some nice IPA, IIPA and occasionally IIIPA.

Mark and the staff are very knowledgeable and friendly chaps, Tuesday nights they run a quiz night in there that's usually well supported and everyone takes their own food in although I think this isn't running again now until later in Jan.

Leyther said:
Lots and lots

Bad Sheppard in Cheltenham does food and beer, small outdoor area if its a nice day, can get busy and a bit hipstery at times but nice.I reckon based on her criteria this would probably suit.

Moon Dog is funky in Richmond and has an interesting selection, not sure about food
Boatrocker in Mordialloc also has an interesting mix usually on, not sure on food here
Mountain Goat also in Richmond, a bit more commercial, great pub opposite it too, I think they do food
Moon dog is the only one on that list I haven't been to. Web site is limited but says they do pizzas, any ideas what beers they have on tap?
Bad Sheppard = No hoppy beers currently
Boatrocker = No food
Mountain Goat = Banned after selling out........ Although I do still buy "The Naz" when available

I recently went to Stomping Ground in Collingwood and it is a great venue with good beer and food. Bad Shepherd is great also if you like BBQ.

Second Stomping Ground. When I went to Red Hill last year I quite liked the food. Former chef, so I'm picky.

Mornington Pensinsula only do pizzas. Their IPA off tap is amazing though.

Best food I had at any of the brewery's in Vic was at Bright. There food is first class.

Thumbs up for The Public Brewery - Cosy atmo (usually busy), good food, not too many taps but always rotating through nice beers. Decent range in bottles if you fancy something different.

Gday Husky,

Nearby to us you could head up to Oscar's in Belgrave, they're cool for you to bring in pizzas from shop couple of doors up.

There's a couple of new breweries FTG & Bayswater, I think? haven't been but heard some ok reviews, unsure on food, might be worth seeking out.

Also recommend Public brewery in Croydon.

Red Hill had awesome food & awesome beer - plus winery & cheese place nearby.

Heard excellent reviews for Boatrocker & Bad Sheppard too.

At the same time as showing her how awesome brewerys are, I think you need to show your missus, that beer and pizza is pretty much the perfect combination.

Not zacley a brewery , but Oscars in Belgrave is very smooth and free entertainment chilled crowd as well ... Gets my vote every time

When i was in Melbourne at the start of the year i dragged my Mrs to Moon Dog and she loved it. Great beers and the pizza was really good to. Made in an old caravan out the front. Some of their beers can be a bit out there but most of them are well made.

That little brewery in ferntree gully have some lovely hoppy and some sour beers.
Also arrange various boutique food vans on weekends etc. Really good fun actually.
Can also get take away growlers or byo growler to fill up

peekaboo_jones said:
That little brewery in ferntree gully have some lovely hoppy and some sour beers.
Also arrange various boutique food vans on weekends etc. Really good fun actually.
Can also get take away growlers or byo growler to fill up
Yeah have taken her there a few times as it's 5 mins down the road. Not much 'brewery' to look at though.
Thinking Moon Dog currently.

manticle said:
Have you tried any moon dog beers?
Only the odd one at festivals etc. From memory they're all a bit "out there".

From memory, they're all a bit shit but they may have improved significantly from their days of passing off infected rubbish as 'experimental'.

I had them years ago so things may be better but you don't want to get stuck in a skunk factory on an occasion like this.

manticle said:
From memory, they're all a bit shit but they may have improved significantly from their days of passing off infected rubbish as 'experimental'.

I had them years ago so things may be better but you don't want to get stuck in a skunk factory on an occasion like this.
Yep had some recently and no longer infected and not too bad.

Back