Recirculating BIAB etup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brookpetrie

Reaction score
Hi all,
Am currently doing a recirculating BIAB setup on my 38L pot based on this one from high
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/BIAB-Electric-Brewing-System-269p3987.htm

I can't seem to find any info on what sort of nozzle they use though.

What are thoughts on this spiral one in regards to hot side aeration?
http://www.bete.com/products/tf.html
The thing I like about it is it casts the liquid out in a circle much like a lawn sprinkler. (See pic)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

image.jpg

Both hot side and cold side aeration were debated here some yrs ago IRC and I do remember listening to a podcast on it ages ago,it could have been on The Brewing Network ? I'm not convinced its worth worrying about.
As for the sprinkler head, the problem I see with it is that with too much pressure the recirculation is lost to the sides and could cause channeling leaving the centre area untouched,it is an inverted cone the same as a lawn sprinkler as you said.
I reckon you'd be better off using a length of copper tube with the end capped shut and a series of small holes drilled in it and regulating the spray pattern and pressure by using a ball valve between it and the pump to adjust the flow.
Maybe !
Cheers....spog...

IMHO, you are better off spending money somewhere else. Just a simple return just under the surface facing across the top of the wort does wonders.

spog said:
Both hot side and cold side aeration were debated here some yrs ago IRC and I do remember listening to a podcast on it ages ago,it could have been on The Brewing Network ? I'm not convinced its worth worrying about.
As for the sprinkler head, the problem I see with it is that with too much pressure the recirculation is lost to the sides and could cause channeling leaving the centre area untouched,it is an inverted cone the same as a lawn sprinkler as you said.
I reckon you'd be better off using a length of copper tube with the end capped shut and a series of small holes drilled in it and regulating the spray pattern and pressure by using a ball valve between it and the pump to adjust the flow.
Maybe !
Cheers....spog...
Thanks spog!
I saw a setup like that on YouTube with the copper tube, in thinking about it that really is the best way to get the wort circulated evenly.
Will have to make the copper tube easily removable for cleaning, some sort of quick disconnect maybe.
Thanks again.

I use a length of food grade tubing with a brass spray head jammed in the end with a bracket to hold it in place.
The spray is regulated by a small ball valve between the out let and pump.
The bracket is a piece of copper tube cut along its length,flattened and shaped to suit.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I don't know the hole size in the brass jet but I does need to be made slightly larger.
The jets are from a field spray unit ,new,not used of course.

Back