RecipeDB - Torpedo IPA Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score

Torpedo IPA Clone

IPA - India Pale Ale
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

**** AMARILO HOPS SHOULD BE CITRA **** (recipe maker doesn't list Citra)

0 Min hop additions are dry hopped

Mash at 67' - Boil 90 mins

Ferment at 20' - Rack into secondary if you wish, original recipe does not specify - Dry hop for 10 Days to 2 weeks or use a torpedo to add hop character.

All credit goes to BYO Magazine

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
6.4 kg BB Pale Malt
0.31 kg JWM Caramalt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
34 g Magnum (Pellet, 14.0AA%, 60mins)
28 g Crystal (Pellet, 3.5AA%, 5mins)
28 g Magnum (Pellet, 14.0AA%, 5mins)
19 g Magnum (Pellet, 14.0AA%, 0mins)
19 g Crystal (Pellet, 3.5AA%, 0mins)
19 g Amarillo (Pellet, 8.9AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

1000 ml Wyeast Labs 1056 - American Ale

Misc

0.5 tablet Whirfloc
19L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.073 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.018 (calc)
  • Bitterness 65.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 65%
  • Alcohol 7.18%
  • Colour 13 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

Am very much looking forward to brewing this. Will aim for a 22L ferment volume to match the OG1.072 and abv7.2% listed on Sierra Nevada's website.

Have you brewed this yourself Gar?

Nope haven't tried it, somebody requested it a while ago and I thought I might as well add it here also

Am very much looking forward to brewing this. Will aim for a 22L ferment volume to match the OG1.072 and abv7.2% listed on Sierra Nevada's website.

The original recipe in the magazine says OG1.070 - FG1.018, So I've tweeked the efficiency to get it a bit closer.

Let us know how it goes, I'd love to try it myself after my next brew :icon_cheers:

Tried it on the weekend liked it, but damn there is some hops in there. Really enjoyed their wheat beer. Pale ale was sold out !!!!

The original recipe in the magazine says OG1.070 - FG1.018, So I've tweeked the efficiency to get it a bit closer.

Let us know how it goes, I'd love to try it myself after my next brew :icon_cheers:
What mag was it in? BYO? Know the issue?

I have that mag will post the recipe for you mate. Just give us a bit.....

Brew Magazine September 2009,

Sierra Nevada
Torpedo Extra IPA clone

19L
OG 1.070
FG 1.018
IBU 70
SRM 11
ABV 7.2 %

Grains
Pale malt 6.4kg
Caramel malt .31kg

Hops
Magnum 34g@60
Magnum 28@5
Crystal 28g@5
Magnum 19g@Dry hop
Crystal 19g@Dry hop
Citra 19g@Dry hop

Yeast
Us-05

*Mash at 67. Boil for 90 mins, adding hops as indicated.
*Ferment at 20 degrees.
*Dry hop for 10 days to 2 weeks or use a torpedo to add hop character.

From the horses mouth brother hope this helps, also hope you have a torpedo !!!!!!!!!

prob should of looked at that other link whoops.
Lol. Was just asking so I could find the issue from my collection so I could read the article too. I'll have to have a looksie and see if I have it.

Cheers

That's the bugger :icon_cheers:

I got it from the 250 classic clone recipes edition

Brew Magazine September 2009,

Sierra Nevada
Torpedo Extra IPA clone

19L
OG 1.070
FG 1.018
IBU 70
SRM 11
ABV 7.2 %

Grains
Pale malt 6.4kg
Caramel malt .31kg

Hops
Magnum 34g@60
Magnum 28@5
Crystal 28g@5
Magnum 19g@Dry hop
Crystal 19g@Dry hop
Citra 19g@Dry hop

Yeast
Us-05

*Mash at 67. Boil for 90 mins, adding hops as indicated.
*Ferment at 20 degrees.
*Dry hop for 10 days to 2 weeks or use a torpedo to add hop character.

From the horses mouth brother hope this helps, also hope you have a torpedo !!!!!!!!!

For those really chasing the bitterness, I have found after making a few different recipes from the BYO clone mag that the IBUs seem consistently a little low in terms of flavour against the beers they are cloning. Might have been a bumper alpha year or something, but I would nudge any 60 min hop additions up a bit for their recipes.

Cheers

J

From the horses mouth brother hope this helps, also hope you have a torpedo !!!!!!!!

I doubt you need a torpedo, or anything similar for dry hopping this beer on a homebrew scale. From memory the torpedo was developed to increase the contact between the beer and dry hops (on a commercial scale), as SN found that some of the dry hops they were adding via their standard method were still 'dry' at the end of the process (i.e no contact with the beer). On a home scale if you are simply throwing your dry hops in loose to the fermenter this would be fine.

Oh, and it is a very tasty beer

Cheers SJ

For those really chasing the bitterness, I have found after making a few different recipes from the BYO clone mag that the IBUs seem consistently a little low in terms of flavour against the beers they are cloning. Might have been a bumper alpha year or something, but I would nudge any 60 min hop additions up a bit for their recipes.

Cheers

J

Could be due to the age of the hops you are using as well. No doubt JZ get's the freshest hops each time. JZ reports his IBUs based on Rager formula (or at least he does in the Jamil Show)

This beer is definately not for the faint or weak of heart ... a knee buckler after a 6 pack or so ... what I love about it is the lack of alc burn and the creeping up hops across and oer your palate ... I am assuming that this is the dry hopping coming into play .. I am a huge fan of this particular beer ... was diappointed with the tumbler ... I think it needed a lot more body to it.. there was more alc burn in that than in the Torpedo IMO... I will give this recipe a go ... and will let you know ... I love the use of citra .. and thought there was more in it than just in the dry hop ....

Cheers

I'm about to start my first all-grain brew based on this recipe, except my local home-brew store didn't have any Crystal hops in stock so the guy there suggested I substitute for Cascade. Does anyone think that this should work okay, or would I be best sourcing the Crystal or at least a more commonly suggested sub, like Hallertau?

I also decided to sub the Citra for Amarillo since I already have some of that and I hear that they are quite interchangeable (will just add more since Citra is apparently stronger).

Thanks in advance.

would have been nice if they had added the %AA to the hops so it could be adjusted..

ed: Doesn't SN also only use cone hops? wouldn't a 'true' clone recipe need to be adjusted for that also?

Love that beer though and the mash temp surprises me a little.

Just punched it into brewmate as is and came out with 1.081 with 75.7 IBU so some tweaking needed to get the target numbers to match

Latest posts

Back