RecipeDB - Sticks and Stones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to interupt Kyle, but I tried my brew of this today after one week in the bottle and it was fan- bloody-tastic. My wife loved it too. Cant wait for it to be fully carbed up and ready to drink.

Ahh great to hear truman. all reports so far from people say that this is a ripper! How much and when did you dry hop? And were you happy with the result?

Ahh great to hear truman. all reports so far from people say that this is a ripper! How much and when did you dry hop? And were you happy with the result?

I had a 9 litre brew.

I dry hopped with 20 grams Galaxy on day 4. Was supposed to be at start of fermenting but I forgot to put them on so waited until active fermenting to die down.

Then I added 10 grams galaxy and 10 grams Amarillo on day 7. Quite happy with the result so far but will have to wait a few weeks to see how the taste develops.

Bottled this over the weekend. Was a 40L batch. Dry hopped 2g per litre before pitching, galaxy in one, and citra in the other. Then 3g per litre after 7 days. Had quite a bit of hop residueafter racking to bottling bucket, think I'll use a panty hose over my auto siphon next time to filter them out. Also the last 2 or 3 litres was going really slow when bottling, is there any way to counter this? I ended up not bothering with the last 2 litres of each batch as it was just taking way too long. Aimed for 3 volumes of co2. When I was doing the graph/chart thing in palmers book, the first thing is 'temperature of the beer', I wasn't really sure if that meant temperature it was at when bottling, or temp it will
Be conditioning at, or temp it will be served at. I went with temp at time of bottling. Can't wait to crack one!

Thinking of doing this, 23L chilled at some stage this week. Have there been any more members who have brewed this and had big success? I'm especially interested in what everyone's done when it comes to dry hopping, as i imagine that's the only way you can get that real big hit in a similar fashion to what the real pacific ale gives you. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thinking of doing this, 23L chilled at some stage this week. Have there been any more members who have brewed this and had big success? I'm especially interested in what everyone's done when it comes to dry hopping, as i imagine that's the only way you can get that real big hit in a similar fashion to what the real pacific ale gives you. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim, I did an extract version of this a couple of months ago before taking a break and setting up a small AG rig. It was easily the best beer I made prior to going AG (still is, my first AG has not fully carbed up yet...).

I ended up with 54% LDME and 46% dry wheat malt.
Galaxy (14.5%)
5 grams @ 60
8 grams @ 20
13 grams @ 5 and;
14 grams at day 5 of fermentation, dry hopped into the fermenter.

I just chucked them on top of the krausen, as I didn't want to bugger around with a sock or what not. As I had a 40 gram bag of Galaxy, the 14 grams used was the surplus from the bittering and flavour additions.

It was only my second extract, and seemed very murky/cloudy at each SG check so I ended up deciding to cube and CC it for 2 weeks to try to drop out some of 'floaties'. So, ~18 litres into the cube, the remaining ~2 litres was bulk primed at 2.6 vols into bottles.

Un-cc'd the aroma was intense, almost over the top. You could smell it at range when poured. The CC'd, however, lost most if not all of the aroma, but was slightly smoother overall. Next time, I'd either wear the cloudy finish (even though it did clear up significantly in the bottle) in favour of the aroma assault, or, drop in a hop tea between CC'ing and bottling it it's safe to do so....I need to research this a little further.

Apologies for the essay, just my experience with this kinda brew.

Galaxy has become my 'crush hop' so to speak at the present, I already have a few other brews in mind to hit up over the coming months.

I've just finished my last bottle of this magnificent beer.

I dry hopped with 20grams Galaxy after 4 days fermentation and another 10 grams galaxy and 10 grams Amarillo after 7 days.

Tasted marvellous

Cheers for the reply guys.

Phantom, I'm happy to lose clarity in this brew to ensure that you still get the punch of galaxy both on the palate and with the aroma. The commercial version is no chardonnay in terms of clarity. I can imagine it's tough to find that spot where you realise the potential of the galaxy hops vs overdoing it and almost ruining the brew.

Truman it looks like you're the expert with this recipe at the moment. I might follow your dry hopping schedule and i think the Amarillo could be a nice edition (Plus i just love it as a hop so any excuse).

Looks like a late night brew coming along tomorrow night after work!

Cheers for the reply guys.

Phantom, I'm happy to lose clarity in this brew to ensure that you still get the punch of galaxy both on the palate and with the aroma. The commercial version is no chardonnay in terms of clarity. I can imagine it's tough to find that spot where you realise the potential of the galaxy hops vs overdoing it and almost ruining the brew.

Truman it looks like you're the expert with this recipe at the moment. I might follow your dry hopping schedule and i think the Amarillo could be a nice edition (Plus i just love it as a hop so any excuse).

Looks like a late night brew coming along tomorrow night after work!
I forgot to add I only had 10 litres so worked on 2 grams per litre, so adjust yours to suit.

Heres mine but this was taken before I racked and cold conditioned for two weeks which cleared it up some what.

pale_ale.JPG

Just put this one on my list for a Xmas brew. Sounds lovely. Made an extract version but not tapped the keg yet. Galaxy is a real winner.

Truman, did you lose much aroma from the CC'ing?

No not really. I brought some into work and the first thing everybody said is "Smells like passionfruit"
Except one dickhead..he said "smells like fruity lexia" I said "only a homo like you would know that." That shut him up..LOL

No not really. I brought some into work and the first thing everybody said is "Smells like passionfruit"
Except one dickhead..he said "smells like fruity lexia" I said "only a homo like you would know that." That shut him up..LOL

Nice work mate, I would have stuck it up him too. I got more pineapple, rather than passionfruit from mine. The CC'd version seemed to transfer more of the aroma into flavour, as in the body was more fruit in the CC'd version, while the non-CC'd version was a light body with mostly aroma. Perhaps instead of using a hop tea next time I should just double or triple the dry hopping, then CC it to get the best of both worlds....

Just ordered up all the grain so I can have a crack at this beer. Hoping it will be in its prime come summer time... the perfect thirst quencher I'm hoping. I'm assuming that most of you that have tried this recipe were using pellets instead of flowers?

Moose, i've used pellets during the boil but i will be using (for the most part) flowers during the dry hopping. No real reason other than G&G had gotten a fresh delivery of them and i'd never used flowers before. I'll let you know how it goes.

Truman i'm using your method and dry hopping 2 gram per litre, hoping that it will punch me in the face every time i pour it. So very excited about tasting this one!

Moose, i've used pellets during the boil but i will be using (for the most part) flowers during the dry hopping. No real reason other than G&G had gotten a fresh delivery of them and i'd never used flowers before. I'll let you know how it goes.

Truman i'm using your method and dry hopping 2 gram per litre, hoping that it will punch me in the face every time i pour it. So very excited about tasting this one!

Mate Im sure it will. My missus loved it too. Only problem was I ended up with 16 stubbies and had drank all of it within a few weeks. I would have loved to keep some for a month or more to let it mature but couldn't help myself.

I used pellets only.

Just ordered up all the grain so I can have a crack at this beer. Hoping it will be in its prime come summer time... the perfect thirst quencher I'm hoping. I'm assuming that most of you that have tried this recipe were using pellets instead of flowers?

Yeah moose, I used pellets. Bought a 40gm pack from G&G and the leftover quantity after adding bittering and flavouring additions became the dry hop addition. 13 grams iirc, so around 0.6g/L. Next time I'd at least double that though. At the time, and the same is said for now, pellets are an economically better decision for me, however I will definitely go down the flower path sometime in the not too distant future.

In my limited exposure to dry hopping, the aroma does subside with age (happy to be corrected) so depending on when you wish to quench your thirst at maximum aroma levels, if you're bottling vs kegging, etc, you might be better off waiting a month or so before you punch this one out. Alternatively, use this one as a dry run and make more as the weather warms up :beerbang:

Either way, best of luck with it mate, I'm sure it'll be a cracker!

anyone got recipes for the other S&W brews?

i reckon a stone beer would be nice :D

This recipe calls for 0.2kg of raw wheat. I am planning to BIAB this, is there a suitable replacement if I can't get raw wheat. Some suggestions I have seen around are Torrified wheat, wheatbix... Thanks

This recipe calls for 0.2kg of raw wheat. I am planning to BIAB this, is there a suitable replacement if I can't get raw wheat. Some suggestions I have seen around are Torrified wheat, wheatbix... Thanks
Flaked or torrified wheat is easiest as raw wheat should be serial mashed first.

Latest posts

Back