RecipeDB - Sticks and Stones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daemon

Reaction score

Sticks and Stones

Ale - American Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 13 Votes

Brewer's Notes

This was a no-chill beer, hence only late hopping and slightly higher IBU's than listed. Not quite the same as the Stone and Wood but very nice all the same.

I used raw wheat instead of flaked and the Galena is meant to be Galaxy (not in the recipe DB).

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.5 kg BB Ale Malt
0.8 kg BB Wheat Malt
0.2 kg Flaked Wheat
0.1 kg Weyermann Munich I

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
25 g Galena (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 5mins)
15 g Galena (Pellet, 13.0AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

10 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale
22L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.046 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.011 (calc)
  • Bitterness 16.2 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.55%
  • Colour 9 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days

When you say "This was a no-chill beer, hence only late hopping" is this what you always do when no-chilling? I am asking because I no-chill and wasn't aware I was supposed to be doing it that way.

When you no chill the wort stays at high temperatures for longer than when you chill. Therefore a 30 min addition can turn into the equivalent of a 45 minute addition, a flameout may become closer to 20 mins.

Actual figures pulled from my arse but you get the picture. Much of the aroma and some of the flavour of regular brewing/chilling may be lost so you need to adjust by altering the bittering and adding some late hop aroma/flavour.

I only know this because someone else told me recently.

It's still fermenting away Chappo so no final verdict yet. Initial samples are very nice, just need to dry hop it and increase the aroma a bit. Will then need to sample the real thing again to compare, I love this hobby :)

The reason I only added hops late to the boil is because Galaxy is 14.9% AA, so when adding the hops for flavour they'll impart enough bitterness as well. No-chill accentuates this a bit further too because of the extended temps so I'd estimate it's about 25 IBU's.

A quick update for those wondering how it went, the results were fantastic. I was brewed for my niece's 1st birthday and we emptied the keg in less than two hours! It was the first time I've had to line-up to get a drink from my keg as well, on a warm QLD afternoon it was perfect.

I'd say that it ended up around 20IBU's all up, despite the Galaxy being high in AA and no-chilling it. That's roughly what Beersmith had calculated so there wasn't much increase from the no-chill at all. I also dry hopped another 10g after 5 days fermentation (@18c) just to make the aroma stand out even more.

I'll be brewing this one again for sure, only changes I'd make is maybe trying a slightly higher % of wheat.

How did you mash it ? Single Infusion ? Or did you do a Protein Mash ?
Looking forward to doing this one on Sat.
BTW Looks Great !
Cheers

Just a single infusion for 90mins @ 66C and it was 90 minutes simply because I was busy doing other things :) I kept it as simple as possible to start with but based it on roughly what I knew about the original brew. You should enjoy it, especially the lovely galaxy aroma and taste!

Thanks D
Just Discovered Galaxy. Looks like a great hop to play with.
Cheers

Hi,
Put this in the keg last week and resisted drinking for 2 days.
Am really enjoying it, a very easy drinker.
one is never enough

Cheers
Steve

Glad to hear you liked it, it's certainly been a crowd pleaser every time I've made it.

After visiting the actual Stone and Wood brewery recently and sampling it from the fermenter (a great experience) I'll be brewing this one again in the near future. The good news is that the Draught Ale is now available in bottles, so you can have the real thing at home as well.

Surprise surprise my mates were back for more.
They've even requested more to be brewed, next they'llbe turning up with kegs to be filled.

I had the original at the Innocent bystander in Healesville at xmas time.
Blew me away.
From memory it was a very floral beer really nose driven.

Let me know how the next one goes.

I'm keen to give this recipe a go so I put the details into brewmate scaled down to 10 litres for my miniBIAB.
However if I tick No chill as per the recipe it gives me an IBU of 36.7. Isnt this a bit high? If I untick NO chill the IBU drops to 16.8. So Im not sure if I should chill or not?

Also if I wanted to dry hop what quantity should I use? I was thinking (from what Ive read on here, maybe 10grams Galaxy pellets.) Or should I try something else?

I'm keen to give this recipe a go so I put the details into brewmate scaled down to 10 litres for my miniBIAB.
However if I tick No chill as per the recipe it gives me an IBU of 36.7. Isnt this a bit high? If I untick NO chill the IBU drops to 16.8. So Im not sure if I should chill or not?

Also if I wanted to dry hop what quantity should I use? I was thinking (from what Ive read on here, maybe 10grams Galaxy pellets.) Or should I try something else?

Gday mate, I think the op no chills so if you've entered the recipe exactly as described and then scaled it down I'd go ahead and brew it without worrying. The no chill option (and the actual no chill process) affects late hops more than early bittering ones. Even more so when there's a large addition of high AA% ones. I love the no chill feature in brewmate (it what finally put the nail in the coffin of beersmith for me). That and the alarms on brewday....I wouldn't worry about that figure too much, just treat it relative to future versions you do of this beer.

Hmmm, if only I had some wheat and galaxy and I could do this today.....

Ok no worries will stick with no chill.

What about dry hopping, I was going to add 10 gram galaxy pellets straight into the ferementer after five days. How does this sound? Ive never done AG brewing or used hops before.

Anyone have a suggestion for dry hopping with this recipe? Should I dry hop with galaxy or use another hop? I want to try and accentuate the citrus passionfruit taste that this beer has which is actually very close to Mornington Pale Ale

Anyone have a suggestion for dry hopping with this recipe? Should I dry hop with galaxy or use another hop? I want to try and accentuate the citrus passionfruit taste that this beer has which is actually very close to Mornington Pale Ale

Galaxy will give you passionfruit aroma, Citra will deliver the citrus aroma. Although having not used Citra or Galaxy before I couldn't say to do it. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

I like Citra and pacific Jade for the Dry hop.
But for a Citrus\ Passion fruit I would use Citra and Galaxy, Maybe even Cascade and Galaxy.

Depends what you like, split the batch and dry hop both of them with different hops.

Cheers,

BeerFingers

The galaxy hops are high in AA, so it's hard to calculate exactly with no-chill. I found that not using bittering hops and the large combo worked well for my setup, it might be different for others.

Going to brew this one again soon now that the weather is warming up.

The galaxy hops are high in AA, so it's hard to calculate exactly with no-chill. I found that not using bittering hops and the large combo worked well for my setup, it might be different for others.

Going to brew this one again soon now that the weather is warming up.

Daemon,

What exactly do you mean by "large combo" can you explain that please?
When you say worked well did you get the strong passionfruit taste in your beer without dry hopping?

Latest posts

Back