RecipeDB - Sticks and Stones

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Citra and pacific Jade for the Dry hop.
But for a Citrus\ Passion fruit I would use Citra and Galaxy, Maybe even Cascade and Galaxy.

Depends what you like, split the batch and dry hop both of them with different hops.

Cheers,

BeerFingers
Ive only got one fermenter and am doing a 10 litre batch, so I might try citra and galaxy. Can you give me an idea on how much of each I should throw in? This is my first AG brew and first time using hops. I was thinking of 10 grams of each as per the gram per litre rule Ive read on here somewhere.

Galaxy dry hopped at 3g per litre is pretty damn awesome. Gonna try Stella hops at 4g per litre in my next brew.

Daemon,

What exactly do you mean by "large combo" can you explain that please?
When you say worked well did you get the strong passionfruit taste in your beer without dry hopping?
Whoops, you can blame auto-correct for that one :) I meant "late" combo, ie simply adding the hops at the end. The taste was most definitely there but it certainly needs to be dry hopped to get that lovely aroma. If you want it true to style then use Galaxy. The amount to use will be dependant on how close you want it to the real thing, I'd suggest 20-30g for a standard batch size or if you're doing a 10L batch then around 15g.

Ok great, thanks for the advice. I might try 20grams in my ten litres just to give it that extra kick.

Ok great, thanks for the advice. I might try 20grams in my ten litres just to give it that extra kick.

That's pretty much the ticket I think.

If you're doing it no-chill, in 10L, I would dry hop 20g when you move it from the cube to the fermenter (this is aside from your normal flame out addition), then another 20g a week later, assuming it's a 14 day ferment. So 20g for 14 days and 20g for 7 days.

That'll give it the punch in the face you're looking for.
If you're using pellets, just chuck them in, don't teabag it unless you give them plenty of room to move around in there.

This type of beer is mainly all about the aroma...and passionfruit burps. :icon_cheers:

Yeh beer fingers..Thats exactly what I want..Passionfruit burps. My missus will love it.. :D

Definitely going to give this a whirl, sounds like a perfect beer to start spring/summer with! Might up the wheat too.

Im about to bottle mine its just sitting in the chiller ATM and I have to say its bloody nice..

Hey guys, im planning on brewing this on the weekend.grain bill slightly different, upped the wheat a little. Here's the grain bill

For 46L

7.kg pale ale malt
2.kg wheat malt
250g flaked or raw wheat (depending what I can get)
250g Weyermann Munich I

I read somewhere that you should do a protein rest when mashing wheat malt, is this true? Also is there anything else to know about mashing with wheat malt?

Hopping with galaxy, and will split the batch and dry hop with galaxy in one and citra in the other. Looking forward to it!

Also I BIAB, if that makes A difference with regards to the wheat malt. I think i read something to do with laughing problems, so maybe not applicable?

Also I BIAB, if that makes A difference with regards to the wheat malt. I think i read something to do with laughing problems, so maybe not applicable?
I have found a handy questionnaire here that should help

Hahaha damn auto correct! I meant lautering problems haha

A protein rest isn't required, especially not for this style. No changes required for BIAB, it's all about the hops :)

I bottled mine on Sunday. Apart from the recipe I also dry hopped with galaxy on day 4 once vigorous fermentation had stopped and then again on day 7 with galaxy and Amarillo.
Smells and tastes bloody marvelous. Can't wait for it to carb up.

I bottled mine on Sunday. Apart from the recipe I also dry hopped with galaxy on day 4 once vigorous fermentation had stopped and then again on day 7 with galaxy and Amarillo.
Smells and tastes bloody marvelous. Can't wait for it to carb up.

What was your bittering addition? Galaxy or Amarillo?

What was your bittering addition? Galaxy or Amarillo?
It was galaxy but I followed the recipe and added my first hops at 10-15 mins I think it was (without checking). So that's not really classed as a bittering addition is it?

Brewed this today. Was a great day for it. It was my 3rd brew, and it was much more relaxing than the last two, very enjoyable day. Apart from a boil over when i wasn't paying attention, and flat batteries in my kitchen scales, the brew went off with out a hitch.

Mash temp dropped from 67 to 64 over the 90 minutes, so i was pretty happy with that. Hit my gravity's, well slightly higher, think i hit around 77% eff, when i was aiming for 70%. (if i figured it out right) I was aiming for 47.9L after boil, and reckon i had about 50, and my target SG was 1.046, and actual was 1.047. so does that sound right?

Going to split the batch, and dry hop one with galaxy and one with citra. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

On the flip side, i recently renovated a very old (20-30 years) fridge, gave it a nice new paint job, and am using it as a beer fridge. I turned it on a few days ago with my previous brew bottled inside, and checked it tonight and it was all frozen! Didn't realise there was a dial in the fridge to what temp and it was set to 'freeze', so spewing about that! Are they ruined?

Good to hear you had a successful brew day, don't worry too much about efficiency in the first few brews as it will vary a bit.

In regards to the fridge, the easiest fix will be a temp controller. If you know a sparkie who can wire it up, then you can order them from eBay cheaply (~$25 delivered) and it will be more accurate than the original fridge thermostat anyway.

Actually, i am a sparky (well, 6 months from finishing my app). Might have to be the go. What about the beer that froze? Will it be ok once it defrosts? i noticed that it had obviously expanded and leaked out, so maybe the crown seals will be letting in oxygen now? lucky i have the other 23L in a secondary fermenter still!

Latest posts

Back