RecipeDB - Skippy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannbrew

Reaction score

Skippy

Stout - Robust Porter
Partial
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Tettnanger hops first, Williamette hops last. Instead of 'Geneic DME', I used the Country Brewer Stout Mix.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
0.25 kg JWM Chocolate Malt
0.25 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)
0.25 kg JWM Dark Crystal
3 kg Generic LME - Dark
1 kg Generic DME - Dark

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
12 g Tettnang (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 0mins)
12 g Williamette (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 10mins)

Yeast

50 ml White Labs WLP380 - Hefeweizen IV Ale
19L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.074 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.018 (calc)
  • Bitterness 2.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 7.31%
  • Colour 67 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 2 days

Frankly I wouldn't be brewing this, if you have is it as sickly sweet as it sounds?
3 IBU's, I would have thought 30 (minimum) would be closer to what you would need to balance that much malt.
Heff yeast - in a beer without any Wheat in it?
I always thought Hefferwisen yeast needed some of the ingredients in the wheat to act on to give the classic wheat flavours. Maybe that's wrong are there any Heff flavours or was it just the yeast you had on hand?
Mate it's always good to experiment but there are some fundamental things you need to get your head around when you want to start designing a recipe, the first is BALANCE.

MHB

PS
Just doing a quick calc on the recipe to get the numbers you have reported, you're only getting 30% extraction from the grain and I get close to 200 EBC, and yes about 3 IBU if you boiled at full gravity.
I usually don't bother reading recipe threads; I was just hoping that someone had come up with a really creative use for the AHB member of the same name

M

He did say that he use the Country brewer stout mix. This could have been hopped.
If its the CB wetpack that he is referring to, it is hopped

If you check the brewer's notes, you'll see that the dark DME is actually a stout kit (presumably pre-bittered).

Un F-ing Believable!

What really gets my goat (yes bad choice of words considering) is that its called Skippy because its Hoppy Not.

M

Latest posts

Back