RecipeDB - Reunification Express - Viet Street Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have 333 in the bottle at the Vietnamese restauraunt "Phob" in Fortutude Valley.

Yeah, also at every second viet supermarket in Victoria St here in Richmond (little vietnam)

Yeah, also at every second viet supermarket in Victoria St here in Richmond (little vietnam)

Maybe the put 333 in a bottle for export. The only reason I asked is that I have been living in Vietnam for a few months and haven't come across 333 in a bottle or Saigon in a can and their labels are identical except for where it says 333 or Saigon. Anyone had 333 in a bottle in Vietnam?

Sorry to have diverged from the recipe discussion. Back on topic, I have noticed that the bia hoi has a relatively low level of carbonation when compared to other similar beers. What level of priming would you recommend for bottling of this beer?

Just pop it in a rice cooker or pot and cook it down into sludge/overcooked rice. Once its cooked add your COLD dough in water to it and balance it out to your dough in temp. Once you have your desired dough in temp and volume, simply add this to your grain and stir up to achieve your desired rest and proceed with your mash as per normal.

You can let the rice cool and add it with your grain but i find it clumps up and is harder to break down in the mash this way.

You can ignore the high temp protein rest if you wish. I just like the idea of it for high adjunct mashes to try and help the starch access/breakdown.

Oh, ive updated the mash regieme in the recipeDB too.

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 7.50 L of water at 63.3 C 55.0 C 20 min
Saccharification Add 6.50 L of water at 79.5 C 65.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 96.1 C 77.0 C 10 min

Below is the beersmith output for a 25L batch.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&p=523039

Without taking this too far OT. I (for the first time) utilised half a kilo of rice into a Belgian Strong/Golden Ale I'm making (won't go on but it's just an idea I had)...

Long story short I cooked the long grain rice in the rice cooker. Left it overnight and it formed a great big cake. I agree F/S it's a pain to pull apart this way and looked like it probably should have been rehydrated in some way.

Just as a hunch. I'm picking that the rice would probably be better off chucked through the mill first next time to break it up a bit ?? (before steaming of course). I found the grains a little long and "in tact" when I dumped the spent mash there were still some long/grainy bits in the mash. I was thinking maybe unconverted... However I hit my projected targets etc. So no dramas.

Just a couple of bob's worth to the rice adjunct thing. :)

Warren -

Maybe the put 333 in a bottle for export. The only reason I asked is that I have been living in Vietnam for a few months and haven't come across 333 in a bottle or Saigon in a can and their labels are identical except for where it says 333 or Saigon. Anyone had 333 in a bottle in Vietnam?
Sorry to have diverged from the recipe discussion. Back on topic, I have noticed that the bia hoi has a relatively low level of carbonation when compared to other similar beers. What level of priming would you recommend for bottling of this beer?

No idea on the 33 issue, the ones on co2 where spritzy like a druaght beer and the hand pumps, well maybe 2 vol?!

Without taking this too far OT. I (for the first time) utilised half a kilo of rice into a Belgian Strong/Golden Ale I'm making (won't go on but it's just an idea I had)...
Long story short I cooked the long grain rice in the rice cooker. Left it overnight and it formed a great big cake. I agree F/S it's a pain to pull apart this way and looked like it probably should have been rehydrated in some way.
Just as a hunch. I'm picking that the rice would probably be better off chucked through the mill first next time to break it up a bit ?? (before steaming of course). I found the grains a little long and "in tact" when I dumped the spent mash there were still some long/grainy bits in the mash. I was thinking maybe unconverted... However I hit my projected targets etc. So no dramas.
Just a couple of bob's worth to the rice adjunct thing. :)
Warren -

yeah i'll be milling my rice instead of buying broken rice now as long as it breaks it into shards like rye and not into dust.

Warren, considering you hit your targets did you check your spent grain and squeeze the rice? Usually it appears like a whole grain but when squeezed its more like a empty hull of rice.

I don't bother milling my rice, I just boil the crap out of it till it's a bit gluggy, always get good conversion and efficiency. I won't use a rice cooker because they cook the rice in an absorption method and the rice doesn't really get pasty from the released starches.

Andrew

Warren, considering you hit your targets did you check your spent grain and squeeze the rice? Usually it appears like a whole grain but when squeezed its more like a empty hull of rice.

No didn't think of (rather didn't know) of that. As I said I'll just trust promash that the rice converted etc.

I don't bother milling my rice, I just boil the crap out of it till it's a bit gluggy, always get good conversion and efficiency. I won't use a rice cooker because they cook the rice in an absorption method and the rice doesn't really get pasty from the released starches.

Andrew

I got the rice cooker as a cast-off from my wife Andrew... I like this method because I can walk away and ignore it. :lol:

I guess cooking it in the steamer and adding some water back to it may help next time?

Warren -

Andrew

unless you have a big one and can overfill it with water! ;)

I've just started drinking the second batch of my interpretation of this recipe and I have to say it is amaaaazing. Not amazing like a full-hopped APA sort of amazing, but in a simple, delicate, drinkable, ricey kinda way. I've just been out on the town drinking Cooper's Pale, Clear and Lager and I couldn't wait until I got home to taste this again.

My recipe was (20L batch):
3.5Kg Joe White Pilsner Malt
1Kg rice solids (cheapass rice boiled until well overcooked)
18g Pride of Ringwood (8.3%) @ 60min (or equivalent bitterness addition) =approx 20IBU
14g Home Grown Hersbruker (est 4%) @ 10min =approx 2IBU
14g Home Grown Hesrbruker (est 4%) @ 0min
Protein rest @ 55c for 20 mins, saccharification 65.5 for 60 mins, no mashout (no room in my mash tun!).
Ferment using US-05 @ 16C for 14 days
Filter and force carbonate. Drink.

It isn't *exactly* a copy of my experiences with bia hoi, but it's GOOD!

I believe this is such a good example of how a simple beer can win the favour of not just seasoned home brewers, but the 'average Joe' drinker as well.

Awesome gulf! Nothing better than a decent rice quaffer. Now you just need a big plate of cellophane thin & crispy spring rolls to boot! :icon_drool2:

this was a great beer for anyone considering makig it. take it for what it is and you'll be happy. dont except it to be an APA or something.

this beer was crystal clear (mind you, you filtered it), pale and so easy to drink.

this was a great beer for anyone considering makig it. take it for what it is and you'll be happy. dont except it to be an APA or something.
this beer was crystal clear (mind you, you filtered it), pale and so easy to drink.

Yeah if you are expecting anything else but a Pale commercial style lager, look somewhere else. The great thing about this beer is it had more malt flavour than what you get in most commercial examples. Which is Awesome! Its like having the malt flavour of a German pils with 20% adjunct!

The beer was diamond bright when at ambient and filtered to retain stylistic accuracy. Although it suffered chill haze. <_<

I am going to make this brew and have some melanoidin malt thats been sitting around unused, could I use 1-2% of this or would that run contrary to adding the rice which is to thin out the beer? I also don't have any carapils should I just sub that for the same amount of pilsner malt or leave it out altogether? Any suggestions?

Ive been tucking into this over the long w/e while doing back yard jobs and gardening. Bloody nice Sat and Sunday when hot outdoors.
I brewed it as recipe excpt carared for carapils, a little darker perhaps but good just the same, plus I used brewcellar Eurolager at 12degs.
Second half of 46lt batch is in the fermenter now. There should be an empty keg by the time she's done. Next one Ill try an Aussie spin with some Magnum and POR for a non brewers crowd pleaser.
The fourstar should be 5 star. Thanks mate its a gooden.
Daz

Hi Daz how's it going up in the good country? Moving in 2 weeks myself but I'll be keeping in touch via the PUBS email group as well as AHB.

Funny I was thinking about Bia Hoi just today, looking for a cheap and cheerful starter for my new brewery at Old Bar.

Hi Daz how's it going up in the good country? Moving in 2 weeks myself but I'll be keeping in touch via the PUBS email group as well as AHB.

Funny I was thinking about Bia Hoi just today, looking for a cheap and cheerful starter for my new brewery at Old Bar.

All good mate. Ill shoot you a PM.
Daz

Latest posts

Back