RecipeDB - Parched As Bro Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domonsura

Beer stuff maker
Reaction score

Parched As Bro Pale Ale

Ale - American Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 3 Votes

Brewer's Notes

This is a nice quick easy drinking summer pale ale that can be easily completed from mash to the glass in 7 days if need be, Good hop aroma & flavour with the galaxy hops -
(PLEASE NOTE - the hop AA shown in the recipe is correct for the recipe, but the hops are shown as Cascade as there was no option for galaxy in the list. I have made it with cascade, but prefer the galaxy version...)
Nottingham used for a quick ferment with a fast drop-out at the end for a nice bright beer straight out of the fermenter. Traditionally I brew this with no secondary, 20-22 degrees will usually see this ferment out in 3-4 days & drop clear in another few days by itself, however this can be reduced to 24 hours by crash chilling @ 1-3 degrees. From there rack directly into the keg and force carb to be drinking it 30 minutes later. A Beerbelly Brewing recipe, extremely popular in the shop.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg BB Ale Malt
0.3 kg Weyermann Carapils(Carafoam)
0.25 kg TF Pale Crystal
0.1 kg Weyermann Caraaroma

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
25 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 5mins)
8 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 30mins)
8 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 60mins)

Misc

0.5 tablet Whirfloc
0.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.048 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.015 (calc)
  • Bitterness 11.9 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.27%
  • Colour 18 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 4 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

Galaxy hops are choice, but no Kiwi hops, bro?

My second AG, must do again as i have galaxy in the freezer.

Tony

Chups? Nah bro, I only eat plank-ton

Nooooooooooooooooooo ................. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah bro, I can't eat your ghost planktun.....:lol: I think the recipe started with Southern cross (hence the name), and evolved through a variety of different ones, through cascade and b-saaz, even Pacific Gem - over the course of the summer of 2009, which was a stinker. I finally decided I like Galaxy more. Obviously by then I had forgotten about the kiwi reference :p

thoughts on subbing the pale crystal with either Barrett Burston medium crystal or carared, and quantities?

Did this recipe about a month ago, still finishing off the keg...very enjoyable indeed!

Brewing this tomorow night but wondering what mash schedule I should use on my herms? Any suggestions?

I'd reckon 65/66 for 60 mins is all that would be needed.

If you want to get fancy with the HERMs you could do 62/66/72/78 for something like 10/40/10/10 mins to ensure fermentability and get to mash-out.

Thats the kind of thing I do with my braumeister, but I think I'm just showing off, doubt there would be much difference from the single temperature mash.

I'd reckon 65/66 for 60 mins is all that would be needed.

If you want to get fancy with the HERMs you could do 62/66/72/78 for something like 10/40/10/10 mins to ensure fermentability and get to mash-out.

Thats the kind of thing I do with my braumeister, but I think I'm just showing off, doubt there would be much difference from the single temperature mash.

Cheers mate. Will give that a crack.

I brewed this last week and had an OG of 1.045. After 3 days its dropped to 1.006 already and looks like its finished. All the yeast has dropped to the bottom already.

Gonna do this on the weekend is there another name for TF Pale Crystal or do you know what a substitute would be?
Cheers

Gonna do this on the weekend is there another name for TF Pale Crystal or do you know what a substitute would be?
Cheers

I used Simpsons pale crystal from Grain and Grape. Your LHBS should have a pale crystal. And I put it into brewmate as crystal 30.

Heres a picture of how mine turned out. Im happy with it. The galaxy adds a nice flavour without the usual overpowering flavour that Galaxy often does.

I didnt get very good head retention though. Pours with a nice head but disapears very quickly.

pale_ale.jpg

I brewed this last week and had an OG of 1.045. After 3 days its dropped to 1.006 already and looks like its finished. All the yeast has dropped to the bottom already.
Off topic sorry
The old Notto goes hard doesn't it!? I just did the same with an ESB, 2 days and it was down to 1.008 from 1.050. Unfortunatley it eats the aroma and flavour of the hops and chews through everything else (probably leaving no head retention) BUT I planned for that by mashing at 68 degrees for 90 minutes and I used a lot of EKG at element out. I checked the flavour today and it's a nice malt profile but id'e like more aroma still so I might dry hop some EKG and styrian for 3 days.
First time with Notto so see how it comes up fingers crossed.

Off topic sorry
The old Notto goes hard doesn't it!? I just did the same with an ESB, 2 days and it was down to 1.008 from 1.050. Unfortunatley it eats the aroma and flavour of the hops and chews through everything else (probably leaving no head retention) BUT I planned for that by mashing at 68 degrees for 90 minutes and I used a lot of EKG at element out. I checked the flavour today and it's a nice malt profile but id'e like more aroma still so I might dry hop some EKG and styrian for 3 days.
First time with Notto so see how it comes up fingers crossed.

Ok well that explains why the galaxy isnt so overpowering like it usually is when I use it?

The Notto is a very quick finisher for a start. I brewed this a month or so ago and its not bad. It was better though after a couple of weeks in the keg.

Latest posts

Back