RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you planning to rack it to a secondary? Perhaps it'll need to spend an extended time in the secondary clearing up.

Thanks for the replies wagastew and carnie.

Wasn't planning on secondary, but if it will help?

Just yeast mate.Brews using so5 that I've made take a fair time to clear,after 5 days in that sort of clarity is to be expected. Never had a clear fermentor like that tho,so never really seen through the side like that,looks very yeasty,should come up great after a couple weeks.ie day 15.....you weren't gonna pull it out of there yet were you?

Just yeast mate.Brews using so5 that I've made take a fair time to clear,after 5 days in that sort of clarity is to be expected. Never had a clear fermentor like that tho,so never really seen through the side like that,looks very yeasty,should come up great after a couple weeks.ie day 15.....you weren't gonna pull it out of there yet were you?

Nah will let her settle out. Cheers mate

:chug:
hey guys

have a DSGA fermenting at the moment. ended up with 23lts of 1.040 instead of 20lts at around 1.045 and i mashed in at around 70 expecting the usual 3-4 degree drop i get with my system but it held at 68 degrees for the 60 min mash, i wasn't too worried about either of these points until now...

day 5 of fermentation and the fermenter looks like its full of a caramel milkshake. when i take a gravity sample im getting heaps of froth also. both of which i have not seen in my 10-15 AG brews. using the standard recipe BIAB.

again, im not overly worried as the smell and taste is great... but what would cause either of these issues? and is there anything i can / should do now. was maybe thinking of hitting it with some gelatin and CC for 1 week around 1 deg

View attachment 59080

View attachment 59081

Looks exactly like I expect a 5 day ferment using US05 to look like (cloudy) although the colour seems low for a golden ale.

I'd leave it for a minimum of 10 days at fermentation temperature raising the temperature (if you can) to 20C for the last 3-4 days. Then crash chill, you don't need to rack if you don't want to. If you can't chill it leave it a few more days and add gelatine if you want very clear beer. 3 weeks on the yeast is not an issue.

Patience/time is the cure for many brewing 'issues' but is the hardest part of brewing.

I have a GA ccing at the moment. Tasted it prior to ccing and got the grin factor (rye, victoria, WY1272). I am trying hard to resist kegging it as it is supposed to be a xmas beer but everytime i go near the shed i hear the sirens calling me.

The lower OG will be balanced somewhat by the higher mash temperature so should result in a lower ABV beer that is very drinkable. :chug:

:chug:

Looks exactly like I expect a 5 day ferment using US05 to look like (cloudy) although the colour seems low for a golden ale.

I'd leave it for a minimum of 10 days at fermentation temperature raising the temperature (if you can) to 20C for the last 3-4 days. Then crash chill, you don't need to rack if you don't want to. If you can't chill it leave it a few more days and add gelatine if you want very clear beer. 3 weeks on the yeast is not an issue.

Patience/time is the cure for many brewing 'issues' but is the hardest part of brewing.

I have a GA ccing at the moment. Tasted it prior to ccing and got the grin factor (rye, victoria, WY1272). I am trying hard to resist kegging it as it is supposed to be a xmas beer but everytime i go near the shed i hear the sirens calling me.

The lower OG will be balanced somewhat by the higher mash temperature so should result in a lower ABV beer that is very drinkable. :chug:

Thanks Doc. As I said, smell and taste is great. Can't wait to get it kegged. Will follow your advice above, at what point here should I dry hop? Was going to do it now after the bulk of primary ferment is done.

hard to get fresh amarillo, last batch I done is lacking hop aroma/flavour due to the shit hops from the lhbs

has anyone subbed amarillo for anything else?

wednesday night i brewed this recipe for the 2nd time, this time with my brand new 20lt Braumister from MHB.

I called it the Eleventh Hr Dr Smurto - due to the LATE hop additions and the fact i pitched the yeast at 11pm.

Recipe Specifications--------------------------
Boil Size: 32 l
Post Boil Volume: 27 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23 l
Estimated OG: 1.049
Color: 19 SRM
IBU: 29 IBUs
Efficiency: 80. 00 %
Boil Time: 65 Minutes
Batch Sparged: 9lt @ 75 degree over 15mins

Ingredients:------------
2.8kg Premium Pilsner GER
0.95kg Pale Wheat GER
1.10 kg Munich Light
0.20 kg Caramunich T2

34g Amarillo @ 20mins 19 Ibu
27g Amarillo @ 10mins 9 Ibu
27gAmarilloa @ 1min 1Ibu

Total Grain Weight: 5.15kg

---------------------------
Mash in @ 40 Hydration rest @ 40 10 mins
Protein rest @ 52 15 mins
B amalayse @ 66 60 mins
A amalayse @ 72 15 mins
Mash out @ 78 15 mins

Wyeast 1272 - American Ale 2 - Nov 2012
Stir plate with 1lt starter

I used my newly made immersion chiller to cool after boil, its 18meters of annealed 1/2 inch copper pipe running 15 litres per minute at 23 degree, Whirlpooed the wort, chilled from 100 to 50 in 3 mins 20 sec......

hard to get fresh amarillo, last batch I done is lacking hop aroma/flavour due to the shit hops from the lhbs

Not in a golden ale, but I've subbed Rakau for Amarillo in an IPA I'm making at the moment as per random Google advice. Amarillo is described as having "stone fruit" flavour while Rakau is described as having "peach" flavour so I'd imagine they're at least somewhat similar.

I think that the Doc refered to Victoria Hops on his recent post>>

"have a GA ccing at the moment. Tasted it prior to ccing and got the grin factor (rye, victoria, WY1272)"

Thanks Doc. As I said, smell and taste is great. Can't wait to get it kegged. Will follow your advice above, at what point here should I dry hop? Was going to do it now after the bulk of primary ferment is done.

Now would be fine assuming SG is close to 1.012.

Used many different hops in this recipe, most american 'c hops' (cascade, centennial, columbus and combinations of them plus amarillo), many NZ hops, even galaxy. Victoria is a variety i grow, not available commercially as far as i can tell. My favourite hop, think loquats (mango, peach).

Now would be fine assuming SG is close to 1.012.

Used many different hops in this recipe, most american 'c hops' (cascade, centennial, columbus and combinations of them plus amarillo), many NZ hops, even galaxy. Victoria is a variety i grow, not available commercially as far as i can tell. My favourite hop, think loquats (mango, peach).
So you're sending me a Victoria Rhizome for xmas, right? :D

Just finished my first keg of this beer last night... f*ck me, best beer I've made.

I had basically written JSGA off as a shit beer (despite liking it years ago), and I blamed it on Amarillo. How wrong was I? It's now my most favourite hop, so much so that I have a pound of 2012 Amarillo on its way to me. Such a beautiful aroma and flavour... I got peaches, beautiful, aromatic peaches... aaah!

Thank you Amarillo and thank you Dr. Smurto.

Just finished my first keg of this beer last night... f*ck me, best beer I've made.

I had basically written JSGA off as a shit beer (despite liking it years ago), and I blamed it on Amarillo. How wrong was I? It's now my most favourite hop, so much so that I have a pound of 2012 Amarillo on its way to me. Such a beautiful aroma and flavour... I got peaches, beautiful, aromatic peaches... aaah!

Thank you Amarillo and thank you Dr. Smurto.

Where are you getting the 2012 Amarillo from?

Nige at Brew Adelaide has some. Got me a kilo ;)

How do they rate compared to previous Amarillo? I got some recently that didn't smell as fresh as previous ones such as the 2010.... Do they smell nice and crisp?

Tapped a rye victoria golden ale last night.

Homegrown Victoria never fails to excite me in a way no other hop can :icon_drool2:

My timing is pretty good too as the Victoria hop plants have started forming cones :beerbang:

Tapped a rye victoria golden ale last night.

Homegrown Victoria never fails to excite me in a way no other hop can :icon_drool2:

My timing is pretty good too as the Victoria hop plants have started forming cones :beerbang:

Hey doc, last two years of chinook has failed me, can you put me down for some Victoria this year please ;)

(Don't want to miss out again!)

Have both the original version and a galaxy version in the FV as I type. Can't wait to get home from holidays!

Latest posts

Back