RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you can wait another few weeks/months and the flavours will develop/change. For my taste the hop aroma drops off but the malt/toffee character starts to shine through a bit more. Some like more hop, others less. Leave some aside and see what you think.

Yes, adding more hops will push the flavour and aroma. 25g instead of 20g additions isn't go to make it offensive to non HB drinkers.

You have me craving a beer before lunch on a Monday morning so I think that would be a big tick!

I love the combination of rye and vienna in this beer. I haven't used GP in a GA yet but just bought a bag of the Fawcetts GP so plenty of beer to try it in. Hop combination is a good one and the yeast a very good choice.

I'd personally wind the IBU back to 30, that for me is where the balance lies in this recipe. You could increase the mash temp to 67-68 instead and see if you can get it to finish a few points higher to balance the extra IBU.
I did raise the IBU to suit the golden promise malt. I have not used golden promise yet but assume it's maltier than standard ale malt as it is floor malted. Might do as you suggested and raise the mash temp to finish higher.
Another hop combo I was thinking is to bitter with Amarillo then @20,10,0min do Amarillo,simcoe,cascade combo at each time. Have you tried these three in the golden ale before?
Cheers
Gav

I did raise the IBU to suit the golden promise malt. I have not used golden promise yet but assume it's maltier than standard ale malt as it is floor malted. Might do as you suggested and raise the mash temp to finish higher.
Another hop combo I was thinking is to bitter with Amarillo then @20,10,0min do Amarillo,simcoe,cascade combo at each time. Have you tried these three in the golden ale before?
Cheers
Gav

Only ever used Simcoe to bitter with but have tasted a few APAs from local brewers using Simcoe late and i was impressed. Its on my to do list but that is quite a long list. Sounds like a nice combination to me.

My latest golden (in the keg right now) all of a sudden lost all its flavour, so I have just hop tea'd 37g into the keg to try and revive some of the lost flavour. It has only been in the keg for 2 months. Back on 100kpa and I'll know the results in 24 hours. :beerbang:

Didn't really improve it. :beerbang:

Dr: when you say 14 days primary, 14 days secondary, do I assume 18c for the full 28 days?

No, 14 days primary at 18C, 14 days secondary at 1-2C.

Secondary can be as short or as long as you want it to be. 7 days would be the minimum.

Good-o. My usual process is 10-14 days (pending fermentation is complete), with a 10 day crash chill followed by a transfer to secondary to lager for whatever period suits the style. I don't have a filter, so I find that chilling before transferring to secondary results in a lot less sediment/yeast in the final beer. Thanks for the clarification, mate.

No, 14 days primary at 18C, 14 days secondary at 1-2C.

Secondary can be as short or as long as you want it to be. 7 days would be the minimum.

What would be the effects of not being able to do a secondary at 1-2C ? if the temp was more like 10-12 C would you have significant differences ?

I just don't have a spare fridge and the keg fridge is a full house..

Duck

Good-o. My usual process is 10-14 days (pending fermentation is complete), with a 10 day crash chill followed by a transfer to secondary to lager for whatever period suits the style. I don't have a filter, so I find that chilling before transferring to secondary results in a lot less sediment/yeast in the final beer. Thanks for the clarification, mate.

I tend to try and get some of the yeast over into the secondary as yeast plays a very important role in the development of flavours in the beer. Not much but enough that there is a good layer of yeast at the bottom of the secondary container by the end of the conditioning phase.

Also wanted to ask if there are any caveats for doing this as a BIAB ?

Duck

What would be the effects of not being able to do a secondary at 1-2C ? if the temp was more like 10-12 C would you have significant differences ?

I just don't have a spare fridge and the keg fridge is a full house..

Duck

I assume you don't have a fermenting fridge then? 10-12C is better than 18C but the speed at which the yeast drops will be decreased.

Also wanted to ask if there are any caveats for doing this as a BIAB ?

Duck

Lots of people brew this recipe using BIAB and I see no reason why anything needs to be adjusted as far as the recipe is concerned.

I assume you don't have a fermenting fridge then? 10-12C is better than 18C but the speed at which the yeast drops will be decreased.

Lots of people brew this recipe using BIAB and I see no reason why anything needs to be adjusted as far as the recipe is concerned.

OK... Was just wondering about the differences in process re water volumes for mashing, not adding water for sparging etc.

I generally just do a single infusion mash and hoist the bag to drain while I bring the wort to the boil. I could use my brown pump to recirculate wort to the top of the bag for a while I guess.

Duck

Love this beer and have based many goodbeers off it.
Best one so far used used Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy together ******* fantastic.
Going to try replacing the caramalt with cararye next time because im still just an extract brewer.

I used this grain bill with a little bit of magnum for bittering and 500g of home grown, freshly picked, 'wet' wurttemberger (similar to Tettnang, I believe).

Oh god. :icon_drool2:

The best beer I've brewed so far. Amazingly sticky head and mouth feel due to the hops too. Worked really well with the DSGA grain bill.
I've had many compliments on it. If only I brewed more...

Cheers Doc!

Looking at putting this down as my first biab/no chill this weekend. Any no chillers out there recommend a tried and tested hop schedule that works well for them? Was thinking:

15grms @ 60min
20grms @ 0mins
20grms french press.

Still a bit confused about converting hop schedules to nc. Did read some where that Dr Smurto recommended not to change the schedule for nc. Has anyone tried this?

Currently drinking a version of this and it's very enjoyable.

When I say a version - I didn't have the exact ingredients so I used what I had lying around. It still came out great and I second the American Ale II recommendation. I will have to brew the exact recipe as a comparison but I do think it's probably maltier than the original recipe, still goes down well, perhaps will throw in a bit more bitterness and dry hopping next time.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.83 kg Ale Malt (Barrett Burston) (6.3 EBC) Grain 1 57.4 %
1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 20.3 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 16.2 %
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC) Grain 4 6.1 %
21.23 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 23.1 IBUs
0.57 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
15.93 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 6.3 IBUs
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 8 -
15.93 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.5 IBUs
0.5 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -
17.25 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Looking at putting this down as my first biab/no chill this weekend. Any no chillers out there recommend a tried and tested hop schedule that works well for them? Was thinking:

15grms @ 60min
20grms @ 0mins
20grms french press.

Still a bit confused about converting hop schedules to nc. Did read some where that Dr Smurto recommended not to change the schedule for nc. Has anyone tried this?

This recipe is designed to have a 10-20 min wait after flameout (to allow the hops to steep and the whirlpool to settle out the hops and break) before chilling so DO NOT adjust the hopping schedule.

Thanks for the reply Dr Smurto! Cant wait to give it a go. :beer:

15grms @ 60min
20grms @ 0mins
20grms french press.

Your best bet is to run with the schedule as is and then play around with it in subsequent brews. You need to have a base level to see if your changes improve the beer or not. I BIAB and ran with the standard schedule and completely hapy with it.... I will try the Aargon Method next to see what difference it makes. One word of advice though is to follow what Smurto just said and be sure to leave it sit for 20 mins before draining to the cube to give the 0 min hops a chance to do something.

Camo

Cheers camo! That makes perfect sense.

Dr Smurto, does this apply for all your other recipes in the database? Do you pretty much always have a 10-20 min wait after flameout?

Cheers camo! That makes perfect sense.

Dr Smurto, does this apply for all your other recipes in the database? Do you pretty much always have a 10-20 min wait after flameout?

Yes, all my beers get whirlpooled at flameout to settle the break and any flameout hops get a chance to steep.

I spend that time sanitising my chiller, fermenter, airstone etc and having a beer.

Back