RecipeDB - Bullshead Witbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work BBB

The oat malt seemed to help, both by adding husk for draining / sparging ease, and extra enzyme to eat all the raw wheat, and a bit of acid malt to get the pH down.

I gave the raw wheat a good smash with a double tap through the mill to get some flour. Its bloody hard stuff and i could smell the belt on the mill when i was done

I got 70% efficiency and hit my targets exactly so I'm a happy boy.

Oh..... i also used 4 liters volume of gulls, mashed in at 55 deg for 15 min, infused up to 63 and raised the mash temp to 64 over an hour. Drained and batch sparged at 71 deg.

Its as pale as pale too :)

Hi Tony,
What's your ferment, secondary and conditioning schedule with this brew?
I went without the brew bright also and just realises I used flaked wheat instead of flaked oats....
Pratty

Similar to any Belgian beer.

Start it cool at 19 deg and ramp it up 1 deg per day to 22 deg to keep the nasties to a minimum but give a bit of yeast character in there as well.

This is a "best drank fresh" brew.

I will let if finish, crash it to 4 deg for a few days to settle most of the yeast sludge, and rack it strait to the keg, carb and enjoy.

cheers

Thanks tony. I will do that.
It's quite hard to read the refractometer with this wort...do you find that or do you use a hydrometer?

I use a refract, but my wort was actually quite clear. No problems getting a reading.

I dont worry too much about exact SG's and FG's these days. As long as its close and drinkable im happy

Tony,

RecipeDB is down :(

Any chance you can repost the recipe?

Tia :)

Hi all.

Newbie here. Just a couple of questions:
Will anybody be so kind to post this recipe since the RecipeDB is down?

I deduct from the conversation that this recipe calls for raw wheat. Is this normal unmalted wheat - ie like it comes from the farm?

I love the look of the beer ....I also see it tastes like a 30IBU .... any way to bring that down a bit - I'm not big hop fan.

Thanks

I will post the recipe up in here tonight...... im off to work now.

Cheers

Im looking to do Witbier for my next brew. Not sure when the Recipe DB will be up again, but if you could post the recipe for this one that would be great.....by the sounds of it this looks to be an awesome wit!

Cheers

hey folks

Here is the recipe

45% Pilsner malt
45% Joe White Raw Unmalted Wheat
10% Uncle Tobys Quick Oats
Rice gulls to taste as required

Saphire @ 45 min to 13 IBU
Saphire @ 5 min half gram per liter

0.5g / liter bitter orange peel @ 10 min
0.1g / liter bitter orange peel @ 5 min
0.5g / liter coriander seed @ 5 min

Mash in @ 52 deg for 10 min
Infuse to 65 for 45 min
infise to 71 for 15 min
mash out

ferment with forbiden fruit yeast. Start it cool and ramp the temp up a bit for some character.

I recently did another one and used oat malt as aposed to the quick oats. I got better efficiency, but its not as nice.

and account for an efficiency of around 10 to 15% less than you usually get.

FaanPret, its not a hoppy beer and certinly not bitter. It just doesnt come across as a sweet beer with a low bitterness due to the spicy yeast and the tartness from the raw wheat.

cheers

Latest posts

Back