RecipeDB - Bullshead Witbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score

Bullshead Witbier

Ale - Belgian White (Wit)
All Grain
* * * * * 7 Votes

Brewer's Notes

This beer turned out fantastic! I used JW raw unmalted wheat, Malteuro Pilsner malt and Indian corriander seed and dried orange peel sourced from the 'herbies' website. I coursly crushed the corriander and toasted it in a dry hot pan for a couple minuted to stop vetetable characters and inhance the flavour. Mash was a gradual increase through my HERMS over about 1.5 hrs from 50 to about 74. Fermented at 19 deg with Wyeast 3463 forbidden fruit then crash chilled in primary for a week and dumped it strait in the keg cold.
Added 20g orange peel @10 min, 20g corriander seed @ 5 min and 5g Orange peel at 5 min. Oats were a 1kg box of uncle tobys quick oats dumped strait in the mash.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
5 kg Kirin Pilsner Malt
5 kg JWM Wheat Malt
1 kg Flaked Oats

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
50 g Saphir (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 45mins)
20 g Saphir (Pellet, 4.5AA%, 5mins)

Yeast

100 ml Wyeast Labs 3463 - Forbidden Fruit
54L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.044 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.011 (calc)
  • Bitterness 11.1 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.28%
  • Colour 6 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 5 days
  • Conditioning 1 days

I may have jumped in too early, because the recipe page is blank.

Was your orange peel the sweet or bitter variety?

How does that yeast behave Tony?

I'm keen to use the same grist and hop schedule I have for a belgian golden strong but drop the sugar and use the forbidden fruit yeast.

The yeast is a rippa!

It finnished in 3 or 4 days, and settled out well.

No big messy yeast vomiting airlocks either...... just a nice compact 2 inch head on the ferment.

Its one i will use again!

Cheers for that.

Beer looks great by the way - just a lovely white cloudy beer in the glass - as it should be.

cheers mate...... yeah it has that "white" tone that it should have from the haze. I used no irish moss in this either... to keep the haze real.

The tartness from the raw wheat is the key to this beer. It actually feels like a 30 IBU beer in the mouth, but its only about 12. The wheat dryness and tartness kind of puckers your mouth a bit and makes it very refreshing. This would be a dangerous beer to have on tap in January heat.

I will post a pic of the beer here as well cause over time the "whats in the glass" post will be lost to the backlogs.

Belgian_Wit__1152_x_1728_.jpg

Winner ....... Absolute beauty.
Mine was a touch different but basically the same. I use stryian goldings to 18 IBU's and couldnt get the bitter peel so used angus park mixed peel. Also used Wyeast Belgian Wit 3944.

It's a gem and I am now officially a Tony disciple .... :beerbang:

Pic's Triple B, Pic's. I need to know if it looks as good as Tony's.

Drew

Ahh the gauntlet Mr Drews Brews .... I will oblige and it will be magnificant. Stay tuned ...

Nice. Even looks like Tony's, I might even go and have a beer myself. I'm guessing you didn't tip yours out.

:icon_offtopic: What type of plants are those in the back ground? :icon_cheers:

Drew

This is an awesome beer Tony - followed the original recipe.
IMG_3800.jpg

Cheers

Ordering the stuff from C.B this week Tony,looks a winner!!!!!!! :chug:

If you haven't used raw wheat before (which I hadn't until this brew) you will probably need to mill it twice - it's a buggar...
yes this recipe is a winner
Cheers
BBB

Ive got some WB06 in the fridge,would this yeast suit the character of the beer?
or...does the wyeast forbidden fruit make it!!!???
thanks for any feed back
p.s. that photo that Tony took makes me soooooooo thirsty,stupid work always gets in the way of fun stuff
cheers
humulus :beer:

Short answer....... no!

WB-06 is a weizen yeast not a wit yeast........ the flavours are very different.

either the forbidden fruit yeast (which was really easy to use) or any of the comercial whitbier yeasts will be fine.

here is a link to the wyeast site and down the bottom are all the recomended yeasts in order of preference

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styledetails.cfm?ID=174

cheers

Short answer....... no!

WB-06 is a weizen yeast not a wit yeast........ the flavours are very different.

either the forbidden fruit yeast (which was really easy to use) or any of the comercial whitbier yeasts will be fine.

here is a link to the wyeast site and down the bottom are all the recomended yeasts in order of preference

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styledetails.cfm?ID=174

cheers

Handy link that, thanks Tony.

Back