RecipeDB - Black Passion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muggus

Case swap whore
Reaction score

Black Passion

IPA - American Brown
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

Green Bullet is Aussie Galaxy flowers.
Traditional is Aussie Topaz pellets

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
7 kg JWM Traditional Ale Malt
0.55 kg Weyermann Carafa Special III
0.4 kg TF Crystal

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
180 g Green Bullet (Pellet, 13.5AA%, 10mins)
90 g Simcoe (Pellets, 12.0AA%, 10mins)
20 g Tradition (Pellet, 6.0AA%, 90mins)
24L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.078 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.025 (calc)
  • Bitterness 126.5 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 6.89%
  • Colour 89 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

I think the high IBU might balance out any high FG you are concerned about Boagsy (even if it is theoretical IBU).

Now it looks a bit bitter.
180g of Galaxy Flowers @ 10 mins?

Edit - It's changed again, I think I'll wait till he's happy with it.

I think the high IBU might balance out any high FG you are concerned about Boagsy (even if it is theoretical IBU).
Should be interesting to see how this compares to other beers that claim to be "over 100 IBU".
It seems very dependant on the hops used.

Now it looks a bit bitter.
180g of Galaxy Flowers @ 10 mins?

Edit - It's changed again, I think I'll wait till he's happy with it.
Haha, sorry...i'm kinda slow.
Trying for a 10min IPA of sorts, but added a bittering addition because of past experience and the unpredictable nature of late hops for bittering purposes.

I like the look of it, and the name, my kinda stout.
My last stout had half a kilo of carafa III in it and finished around 1.024 (perhaps even a tad higher, hydrometer was out). I gave it a heap of Galaxy and Magnum @ 60 mins for around 85 expected IBU's but it's still a tad sweet at the moment after a bit over 5 weeks in the bottle. It's gonna be a pearla though I reckon.
Interesting idea with the Galaxy flowers, I'd really like to taste a sample of this brew.

I like the look of it, and the name, my kinda stout.
My last stout had half a kilo of carafa III in it and finished around 1.024 (perhaps even a tad higher, hydrometer was out). I gave it a heap of Galaxy and Magnum @ 60 mins for around 85 expected IBU's but it's still a tad sweet at the moment after a bit over 5 weeks in the bottle. It's gonna be a pearla though I reckon.
Interesting idea with the Galaxy flowers, I'd really like to taste a sample of this brew.
As a general rule with high gravity beers like IPA, Barley Wine or Imperial Stout, where the bitterness is welcome, I like to keep the "theoretical" IBU well above the gravity. Certainly arn't the sort of beers that drink well early, but the intensity of flavour is tremendous, and that's probably a reason to go with late hops as opposed to dry hops in these beers.

This is my first experience with Galaxy, and i'm treating it quite gentle mainly because i've heard a few negative comments about using it as bittering hop.
Early days, but I'm looking to get a showcase of passionfruity hops with the smooth, yet intense roastiness you get from Carafa. Both of which i've always been meaning to get a serious grasp on the flavour/perception of.

Latest posts

Back