RecipeDB - AUSSIE AMBER ALE

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to brew this tomorrow and am wondering how to adjust for no-chill?

Plugging the recipe into Brewmate spits out an IBU of 41.1
Click no-chill and it bumps the IBU right up to 75.4 :blink: :blink:

If I go the whole "deduct 20 mins" for no-chill by say making the 60 mins hop addition to 40 min and adjust the 10 min to 0min and the 0min just dry hop I get an IBU of 45. Is this the right way to do it? Or will I be missing some galaxy flavour in this brew??

The best way i have found to do it in Brewmate is to type it in as normal. Then note down the ibu's represented by each hop addition.

Type in a new recipe with the no chill button clicked from the start and add your hops by guessing till you have the same ibu contributions from each addition. I will usually move my late addition hops back 10-15 mins too to try to get the same flavour/aroma from them.

Hope this helps, but this is just the only way i found to recreate beers that i knew well before i went no chill.

G'day Shifter. How'd this one turn out? I like the look of it and wouldn't mind brewing this while watching the footy on Saturday.

Turned out really well. But go easy on the chocolate malt as it packs quite a flavour punch. This beer mellows verb well and the Galaxy shines through. Very tasty and enjoyable. I think I ended up dry hopping with 26g of Galaxy. Enjoy - go the Sparrows!

Turned out really well. But go easy on the chocolate malt as it packs quite a flavour punch. This beer mellows verb well and the Galaxy shines through. Very tasty and enjoyable. I think I ended up dry hopping with 26g of Galaxy. Enjoy - go the Sparrows!

Good to hear that is worked out well.

I put this down today. followed the grain bill as listed in the recipe, but adjusted the hop schedule as I no chill. I'll add the 0 minute addition as a dry hop on day 4. Looking forward to drinking it and hope it turns out as good as yours.

Couldn't wait any longer. Opened one of these after just three weeks in the bottle.

I hate it when people write "this is the best beer I've ever made", so I won't, although it wouldn't be far from the truth. IMHO this is a seriously good beer: clear, amber colour; great aroma; subtle chocolate taste. Looking forward to sharing it with my mates.

If you've not put one of these down yet, do yourself a favour...

Sydneybrewer, thanks for a great recipe.

Latest posts

Back