Recipedb - Andrewqld Lite Rice Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score

AndrewQLD Lite Rice Lager

Lager - American Light Lager
All Grain
* * * * * 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

Fairly involved mash regime in order to get as much out of the adjunct as possible. S.G 1.038 F.G 1.006
The Rice solids are white rice boiled fo 20 minutes
Mash in Add 10.65 L of water at 46.7 C 42.0 C 15 min
Add Rice boiled with 4.00 L of water at 92.0 C 54.0 C 50 min
Sacch Rest Heat to 62.0 C over 10 min 62.0 C 20 min
Sacch Rest Heat to 72.0 C over 10 min 72.0 C 10 min
Mash out Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min 78.0 C

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
2.75 kg BB Pale Malt
0.8 kg Rice Solids

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
15 g Hallertauer (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 60mins)

Yeast

1000 g DCL Yeast S-189 - SafLager German Lager

Misc

5 g Irish Moss
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.038 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.01 (calc)
  • Bitterness 8.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 3.63%
  • Colour 4 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 10 days
  • Secondary 4 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

lite_rice_lager_001__640x480_.JPG

View attachment Andrewqld_Lite_Rice_Lager.bsm

Hey what's with all the rice recently.. must be the recession ??? :p Looks like a spectacular drop.
So far I have made a rice Cerveza that turned out much more like a Classic American Pilsener. It turned out so tasty, crystal clear and clean I'm going to make it my house beer and dump the partial lagers. There seems to be something about rice that scrubs up the beer wonderfully, maybe mopping up excess proteins that might cause haze (I'm not a chemist)?

With your recipe I reckon it would make a great mainstream quaffer by upping the malt to 3kg and rice to 1kg to get around 4%. I used Chinook as a bittering hop with no other hop additions and it's a brilliant hop for the style.

Now in primary I have an Aus style with Superpride which will be interesting. Your mashing regime sounds interesting and I'll look if it's applicable to BIAB.

I used Galaxy Malt and got the following colour which is spectacular:
solly_cerveza.JPG

Also Galaxy (currently not available, bugger) is touted as highly diastatic so I have been using it with rice and maize (my Kiwi Blonde, will post in DB when it's ready)

:icon_cheers:

Hi Andrew

The rice solids listed in the recipe @ 800g are post boil?

Cheers

James

Bribie, that looks good.
Actual ABV on mine is 4.2% O.G was 1.038 and finished at 1.006. And I will probably make this my Quaffer too, very easy to knock back.

Sumo, the rice solids are whole white rice 800g weighed pre boil and then boiled with 4 lt of water for about 20 minutes until they become gluggy.

Cheers
Andrew

sumo, the rice solids are whole white rice 800g weighed pre boil and then boiled with 4 lt of water for about 20 minutes until they become gluggy.
Cheers
Andrew

Andrew,

So I ignore my default water\grain ratio & use those additions in your recipe notes. I also add the 4 litres of rice water along with the rice? Is this correct? :unsure:

TP

Andrew,

So I ignore my default water\grain ratio & use those additions in your recipe notes. I also add the 4 litres of rice water along with the rice? Is this correct? :unsure:

TP

Pete, yes ignore your normal water/grain ratio, you use BeerSmith don't you? If so just download the recipe in the original post and load into BeerSmith. Yeah, you don't drain the rice, after the 20 minutes boil in 4 lt water it will be a pastey mess and the whole lot just gets tipped into your mash after the rice has cooled to 97, this will give you a step temp boost for the protien rest.

My system uses a HERMS for all my step increases after the protien rest so I don't infuse to increase the temp. If you don't use a HERMS you will have to adjust the water/grain ratio down in order to compensate for all the infusion temp steps you will be doing.

If you need more info let me know.

Andrew

Reckon you could get away with a single infusion mash with rice? Or would you get poor efficiency?

Reckon you could get away with a single infusion mash with rice? Or would you get poor efficiency?

Efficiency would probably be Ok ( perhaps use Galaxy malt to be sure) but you might get a bit of haze without the protien rest.

Andrew

Efficiency would probably be Ok ( perhaps use Galaxy malt to be sure) but you might get a bit of haze without the protien rest.

Andrew

Cant get galaxy but have global pils which is pretty diastitic so will try it with that... Bit of haze doesnt really worry me as long as it wouldnt effect the flavour..

Might give it a crack since everyone seems to be using rice these days :unsure:

Cant get galaxy but have global pils which is pretty diastitic so will try it with that... Bit of haze doesnt really worry me as long as it wouldnt effect the flavour..

Might give it a crack since everyone seems to be using rice these days :unsure:

" RICE ", the new Sugar :lol:

Andrew

" RICE ", the new Sugar :lol:

Andrew

Not as silly as it sounds Andrew... I've been contemplating for some time doing a Belgian Golden Strong and subbing half the "suga" for an equivalent amount of rice. Just has me curious.

Warren -

Not as silly as it sounds Andrew... I've been contemplating for some time doing a Belgian Golden Strong and subbing half the "suga" for an equivalent amount of rice. Just has me curious.

Warren -

Would make for an interesting experiment indeed Warren, just don't expect to get much flavour contributions from it, Hmm I wonder how brown rice would go?

Andrew

For anyone BIABBing this recipe, what I do with rice (and did half an hour ago with polenta in my current mash) is to cook the rice or polenta till gluggy and in 5 or 6 litres in a stockpot.

Then let it cool to your mash temp (or cook it thicker and adjust with a litre or so of water to bring it down)

Then you can just pour it into the bag after the dry grain bill to ensure even mixing, and no need to do complicated temperature calcs.

I haven't found any clarity problems doing a single infusion mash with rice, in fact probably the opposite as the cereal adjuncts mop up extra enzymes and proteins provided by the malt. (see my photo near the top of the listings).

For anyone BIABBing this recipe, what I do with rice (and did half an hour ago with polenta in my current mash) is to cook the rice or polenta till gluggy and in 5 or 6 litres in a stockpot.

Then let it cool to your mash temp (or cook it thicker and adjust with a litre or so of water to bring it down)

Then you can just pour it into the bag after the dry grain bill to ensure even mixing, and no need to do complicated temperature calcs.

I haven't found any clarity problems doing a single infusion mash with rice, in fact probably the opposite as the cereal adjuncts mop up extra enzymes and proteins provided by the malt. (see my photo near the top of the listings).

So that was single infusion bribie?

Absolute cracker of a beer. Fantastic for those visitors who are 'driving' (HTFU you bastards :p)

Have this on tap now. Has been kegged for around a week, and it's brilliant. Beautiful light colour, fantastic clarity, soooo easy to drink.

Damn you AndrewQLD!

J/K, bloody brilliant drop! :)

I brewed it with 2.85KG BB Galaxy and 1KG Rice stepped from 50C with malt, to 65C with rice.

Will be brewing a double of this over the weekend but subbing Saaz for the Hersbrucker as I've run out. Should still be bloody tops!

Cheers!

Thanks NickB, it's pretty easy on the palate for sure, the Saaz will go just as well I think and could well improve it, depending what you want out of the beer, the Saaz should give a more obvious European taste.

Cheers
Andrew

I'm only using the Saaz for lack of Hersbrucker in the freezer (think it's near perfect with that hop!), but I think it will be an interesting take on this beer. Will try to remember to bottle up at least one from each batch for the July swap. Will you be there Andrew???

Cheers

PS: Modding slightly to aim for 3.5% ABV... Will be my drivers beer - 1 std drink per 330ml (and my 'weekday' beer)!

Hi fellas
I keep re reading this recipe I'm using a grain father.
I'm lost on the amount of water to be using
am I right in that 10 lt for mashing 4.6lt for the rice then to make it up to 23lt 8.5lt for sparging?
Or do I follow the recipe as is and ferment what is drained from the bed
(ie a half batch of 23 lt)

I'm not using beer Smith yet want to save the free trial for later on.
Cheers Greg

sandgroper said:
Hi fellas
am I right in that 10 lt for mashing 4.6lt for the rice then to make it up to 23lt 8.5lt for sparging?

Cheers Greg
Hi Greg, 19.12 lt water for sparge was what I used on mys system.

Cheers
Andrew

sandgroper said:
Hi fellas

Cheers Greg

How did you go with this , looking at using rice myself down the track and have a grainfather aswell. I was thinking along the lines of watching preboil OG target of 1.029 in beersmith and adjust preboil water to suit which I would think would be about 28 to 29 litres

Latest posts

Back