Recipe Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakey

Reaction score
planning my first BIAB single batch any suggestions on an easy recipe to wet my feet. was thinking of a pale ale style. cheers.

HAve look in Recipe database, argons little fellas pale is pretty good, Smutos Golden Ale is a given for first brews, although i enjoy it better with shed loads of cascade

planning my first BIAB single batch any suggestions on an easy recipe to wet my feet. was thinking of a pale ale style. cheers.

Thats a fairly open question! Of course it all depends on what you like, or what you would like to achieve? However it is very easy to just throw a recipe at you!

If you having brewing software (if not download brewmate) punch in something along the lines of:

70% pale ale malt
20% munich
10% caramunich

This, or a variation on this, will give you a solid backbone for most ales. Throw in either english or american hops to desired IBU
A suggestion would be to bitter with something clean like hallertaur and late hop with cascade..to about 40 IBU's. Then chuck in a packet of S04 or US05 and bobs your aunty.

Mash around 67, ferment cooler for american style and warmer for english style (range between 16-23 ish)

Welcome to the dark side there lakey, its a long ride but heaps of fun.

My first 3 brews were all 100% ale malt with British hops (EKG, Fuggles) just to work out what the hell I was doing. The beer was OK so if your not to sure about how the brew day will go keep the recipe simple. Nashmandu looks on the mark for something not to complex, I like adding 5% wheat for head retention to most brews but thats my personal opinion. Post a pic of the final product in a few months when its done.

Hope all goes well,

Drew

Thats a fairly open question! Of course it all depends on what you like, or what you would like to achieve? However it is very easy to just throw a recipe at you!

any good american pale ale recipe would help, i have looked at many on the data base and was wondering if anyone would recomend one! plus do i need to adjust the size of the grain bill for BIAB.

Pale ale could cover UK, American or Aussie.

However if you are looking for simplicity, which is always a good idea for first AG, I'd look at an APA for the simple reason that you can be assured of something drinkable.
Assuming a 23L batch.

5 kg of any pale ale malt
200g medium crystal

mash 65 degrees one hour

USA Magnum or other bitterer 20g 60 mins
Cascade 30g 20 mins
Cascade 30g 10 mins

US 05 or Wyeast 1056

Cascade 30g chuck into fermenter on day 3

Or mix the Cascade up a bit with some Centennial.

Drink when clear :icon_drunk: and reflect that it is probably the best beer you have ever tasted.

Welcome to the dark side there lakey, its a long ride but heaps of fun.

My first 3 brews were all 100% ale malt with British hops (EKG, Fuggles) just to work out what the hell I was doing. The beer was OK so if your not to sure about how the brew day will go keep the recipe simple. Nashmandu looks on the mark for something not to complex, I like adding 5% wheat for head retention to most brews but thats my personal opinion. Post a pic of the final product in a few months when its done.

Hope all goes well,

Drew
cheers drew i think i will keep it simple like you suggest just till i get used to the process.

Try this:

20L

4Kg BB Ale Malt
40g Hallertauer @ 60min
20g Hallertauer @ 0min

US-05 @ 18DEG

Simple, Tasty and thirst Quenching :icon_cheers:

Lakey,

They're all easy really, especially if you are buying your grain premilled and packed in one bag, and then doing a single step biab mash. As per Bribie's suggestion an APA is the go.

My first two AGs were from the recipe database, DrSmurtos Golden Ale, and Tony's LCBA. Sort by AG and rating and you'll see em. I have brewed Tony's many times now because I found no matter how I f#*cked it up it still tasted awsome and kept a nice lacing of head down the inside of the glass making me look like I knew what i was doing when I really had no idea.

I'd go with Tony's LCBA

My first few AG's were rough as, and would have been a comedy to watch but the result blew my mind as per BribieG's last line.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back