Recipe Help Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigo

Reaction score
Ok so ive got a can of pale malt a can of amber malt about 40g of fuggles hops and about 40g of gold cluster hops and some dextrose and s04 yeast just wondering what type of brew can i make with these hops? And how long and what amont of hops do i use in the boil any help would be appreciated.

I wouldnt be using the S04, or the fuggles there mate.

is it like a Coopers Pale Ale Can?

Yob

Ok so ive got a can of pale malt a can of amber malt about 40g of fuggles hops and about 40g of gold cluster hops and some dextrose and s04 yeast just wondering what type of brew can i make with these hops? And how long and what amont of hops do i use in the boil any help would be appreciated.

i would use everything there mate and make an english style amber ale, maybe steap off some crystal and a few dark grains aswell.

i might change the yeast though??

cheers jake.

I wouldnt be using the S04, or the fuggles there mate.

is it like a Coopers Pale Ale Can?

Yob
its a morgans pale malt can unhopped and amber can unhopped. what hops should i use then and why shouldnt i use the s04 yeast?

SO4 finishes a bit high but might be ok depending on what you plan to brew.

go and read this; http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

then go to the recipe DB and get something like DrSmurtos Golden Ale recipe :party:

then get a copy of IanH's brewing calculator[free] or spring for a copy of Beersmith.

Then if you have any specific questions I'm sure people will help you out here.

Your question might be a bit too open ended

I have found S04 to be a bit slow to finish. If I use it I try to ferment it out at about 23deg. Much better on a second pitch (over pitch the cake)

Use Ians spreadsheet to work up a recipe. And spread the hops out in the boil. Bit of each say 10g each at 45min then 5g each at 20 min and again at 10 min. Even a bit dry. Use Ians wonder worker to get the IBU's right and just have a crack at it. Use both cans and a bit of dex.

Some steeped grain would be good but it will be fine without it.. Keep a record and see how it goes.

Cheers

Good advice above, personally I frekon hate 04 the vast majority of stuck ferments were with this yeast, for English styles my preferred dry yeast is Windsor and I have a good strike rate with it,
IanH's spreadsheet is brilliant for getting your head around stuff starting out.
Will post the link when I have the chance/ability.

You should be able to make an English Bitter of some sort out of those two cans.
+1 for getting some steeping grains. A bit of crystal always comes in handy. (just buy a kilo, use about 150-200g & save the rest for future brews)

I've never used Gold Cluster but googling it shows it as a bittering hop for aussie bitters/lagers.
I'd say use that as your bittering hop, and use the fuggles for flavour & aroma.

Leave the dex for priming IMO
+1 for preferring windsor over S04, but I've made some great beers with S04 so go for it.

Have a looksy round on the net for recipes using those cans, play around, substitute ingredients and take notes.

decided to use cascade and amarillo instead. is the pale malt brew enhancer from morgans the same as pale malt etract?

decided to use cascade and amarillo instead. is the pale malt brew enhancer from morgans the same as pale malt etract?

using these hops together is an awesome combination one that i use regularly. however if using this combo with your malts you should be able to create an american style amber ale. steeping grains in this would be a great addition also.

change your yeast though as s-04 is intended for english style ales.

using these hops together is an awesome combination one that i use regularly. however if using this combo with your malts you should be able to create an american style amber ale. steeping grains in this would be a great addition also.

change your yeast though as s-04 is intended for english style ales.

Can't say about the pale malt enhancer - the word "enhancer" could mean it has maltodextrin or dextrose in it. Check the ingredients.
Just to clarify, is the pale malt tin you have unhopped extract or is it a pale ale kit?

If you're using amarillo, maybe follow the hopping routine for dr smurtos golden ale. (haven't made it myself but everyone raves about it).

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=502

You could substitute cascade in there as well.
As per JakeSm, yep get some american yeast... Safale US-05 (US-56) whatever it's called.

Back