Recipe Critique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Rider_22

Reaction score
Just going through my stocks and want to throw together a simple and tasty American Pale Ale.
My next brew at this stage will be as follows;

3kg Morgans Unhopped Pale Liquid Malt
500g Dextrose
15g Centennial @ 60mins
15g Citra @ 60mins
15g Centennial @ 15mins
15g Citra @ 15mins
20g Centennial @ 5mins
20g Citra @ 5 mins

Got a choice of US-05 or Craftbrewer American Ale yeast.

4.9% in the keg
OG 1049
FG 1011
IBU 43.1
EBC 8.0

I am guessing the American Ale yeast would be the better choice for this recipe?

I want to use the Citra and I just didn't know what to match it with. I went with Centennial over Cascade and Galaxy. If I had Amarillo on me I would have gone it.

Does this sound fine?

Any tips or adjustments?

Thank you kindly. :)

Haven't used either hop (although I do have some Citra in the freezer for my next batch) however your recipe seems to tick both boxes well enough - looks simple and tasty. My only suggestion would be to grab some light crystal (or your favourite spec).

If memory serves CB American Ale is US-05.

Haven't used either hop (although I do have some Citra in the freezer for my next batch) however your recipe seems to tick both boxes well enough - looks simple and tasty. My only suggestion would be to grab some light crystal (or your favourite spec).

If memory serves CB American Ale is US-05.

Thanks for the reply.

I have only ever used Caramunich 1 as I got some for DSGA a while back. What do you recommend for this recipe?

Just looking into the spreadsheet, the US05 and CBAA have the same specs so it would seem you are right. I will buy the CBAA from now on as it's cheaper. B)

Same as bum. Looks good, but have never used either hop. Your additions are similar to an APA I've got going at the moment.
I'd also consider dropping the dex for 500g of LDME, but that's just me.

I've used US-05 for a couple of APA's and would recommend it. For my current one (5th APA I've done) I'm using Proculture Pro-10, but only to try something different. All the rest have been US-05.

Go forth and brew. And if we can't sample it, let us know how it goes :)

I think keep the dex if you want it drier, put in LME or DME if you prefer a slightly fuller, maltier beer.

Same as bum. Looks good, but have never used either hop. Your additions are similar to an APA I've got going at the moment.
I'd also consider dropping the dex for 500g of LDME, but that's just me.

I've used US-05 for a couple of APA's and would recommend it. For my current one (5th APA I've done) I'm using Proculture Pro-10, but only to try something different. All the rest have been US-05.

Go forth and brew. And if we can't sample it, let us know how it goes :)

The dex will be a good addition. With malt extract brews it's good to add in a bit of dryness - all malt can often be too sweet or underattenuated. 500g is a good amount.
Centennial is very strongly citrus flavoured - I'd see it as orange, cascade as grapefruit and amarillo as mandarin. I don't know anything about citra.

You might want to consider dry hopping for a bit of extra aroma but generally it looks like you'll achieve what you're chasing. The steeping of a spec grain won't hurt as suggested by Bum. Try and consider what you'd like to bring to the mix and base the grain on that (sweetness, toastiness, nuttiness etc).

That recipe looks pretty good.

You may find the FG finishes a bit lower than 1.011 - I use the morgans goo a lot with specialty grains and they always finish at about 1.006 [depending on the specailty grain used].

In which case you'll have a pretty dry beer with high abv. You could consider using some crystal in there to malty it up? 250g light crystal would do (or small amount ~80g of dark)

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will dry hop as well then. Straight into the fermenter just before yeast or wait a few days for the ferment to begin?

Cheers blokes!

Wait till ferment has died down. Vigorous ferment will drive of some of the aroma you are adding in.

Whilst were on Critiqueing i was after a bit of feedback on a recipe im playing around with. Im after a Red Lager. Should i stick too either Carared or Caraaroma, or is it OK to mix them? I dont want it to Hoppy for your average megaswiller drinker, but only just. Here's the recipe......

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/23/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Damian
Boil Size: 28.05 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Biab
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.54 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 80.63 %
0.37 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (15.0 SRM) Grain 8.38 %
0.32 kg Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) Grain 7.33 %
0.16 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (178.0 SRM) Grain 3.66 %
19.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.5 IBU
10.00 gm Tettnang [2.80 %] (20 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
9.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.00 %] (20 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
7.00 gm Tettnang [2.80 %] (10 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
9.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.00 %] (10 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
12.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
3 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.03 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.43 %
Bitterness: 27.5 IBU Calories: 419 cal/l
Est Color: 10.6 SRM

TYVM Damian

Whilst were on Critiqueing i was after a bit of feedback on a recipe im playing around with. Im after a Red Lager. Should i stick too either Carared or Caraaroma, or is it OK to mix them? I dont want it to Hoppy for your average megaswiller drinker, but only just.

Perfectly fine. I find the best profiles i get from crystal malts is blending a dark one and a light one, further away from each other on the kilning specturm the better IMO.

Oh, and if you want real red/mahogany, get your colour from roast barley/carafa. not crystal malt. Add your base malt to your desired gravity and then add roast barley until it gets anywhere between 11-17SRM and then add your crystals. 17 SRM is the upper limit for something to still look red so you need to be abit lighter on the crystals. E.g. i would use roast barley to 11 SRM then crystals to 16-17. Caraaroma is good to get the deepest red over 'carared'. The name doesnt live up to the hype to achieve red unless you use it excessively.

here is an example below (same OG as yours and adjusted brewhouse efficiency to suit, hence the wierd kg vaules) ;)

Ingredients
3.54 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 78.9 %
0.38 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (11.7 SRM) Grain 8.4 %
0.33 kg Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM) Grain 7.4 %
0.14 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (178.0 SRM) Grain 3.2 %
0.09 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 2.1 %

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 %
Bitterness: 0.0 IBU
Est Color: 15.4 SRM

Thanks Fourstar, that info will go straight into the notes section of Beersmith.

TYVM Damian

Back