Recipe Conversion, Please Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagwa

Reaction score
Recipe conversion, please help!

I have several all grain mash recipes that I would like to convert to extract recipes (Unhopped Liquid malt or Dry malt extracts) as I am not yet a mash brewer.

How does one convert the grain portion of the recipe?

Say 4.5kg of Pale malt = ??Kg of liquid malt extract

= ??Kg of dried malt extract

Is there a formula to work this out?

Cheers,

Stagwa

Beersmith or Promash can do that I believe. 'Convert Recipe' button. Get a demo version if you don't already have either.

Otherwise I recall a factor of 0.8 coming into play somewhere along the line. 1kg grain = 0.8kg goo?

Yeah I think it was 0.82 so you would want ~3.7kg of liquid instead of 4.5kg of grain.

I'd just do 4kg of extract and add say 2-3L of H2O extra.

If the recipe states its efficiency, its basically
weight of grain X efficiency X 0.8 = weight LDM (edit: this 0.8 factor here is actually dependant on the grain itself...it is the grains potential, and they all differ. But 0.8 is close enough)
Weight of grain x efficiency = weight LME
to convert LDM to LME , its Weight LDM / 0.8 = weight LME (and conversly, weight LME x 0.8 = weight LDM)

If no efficiency is stated in the recipe, assume 80%....

so to convert purley to liquid 4.5kg pale malt, if no efficiency has been given in the recipe...
4.5*0.8= 3.6kg

for dry
4.5*0.8*0.8= 2.88

so in this case, you would use 3Kg liquid (ie 2 1.5Kg tins) and 0.6x0.8= 0.48kg dry.

Great answer as always butters!

Back