recipe check - choc mint stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
hi all, do you remember the old chocolate bar called the white knight? it was a firm flat chocolate bar with hard peppermint inside - damn they were good. so I have been thinking about a choc stout but with the mint/peppermint'ness to it

here is a recipe I got from the US which was an adaption from an extract/partial recipe

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: choc mint stout

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Sweet Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 20 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 5.87%
IBU (tinseth): 30.57
SRM (morey): 36.18

FERMENTABLES:
3.63 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (65.4%)
0.45 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (8.1%)
0.45 kg - Belgian - Special B (8.1%)
0.45 kg - American - Chocolate (8.1%)
0.23 kg - Lactose (Milk Sugar) (4.1%)
0.115 kg - Cane Sugar (2.1%)
0.226 kg - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (4.1%)

HOPS:
42.5 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 28.11
7.5 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 2.46

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 68 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 28 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
115 g - cocoa powder, Time: 15 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
11 ml - peppermint extract, Type: Flavor, Use: Primary
5 ml - peppermint leaves, Time: 2 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
3 g - brewbrite, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - London Ale 1028
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 15.56 - 22.22 C
Fermentation Temp: 21 C

NOTES:
ad peppermint extract after one week in primary, total primary 3 weeks

I see a recipe by screwy that was a treacle stout and a large amount of vienna was used, so one thing i'm thinking is maybe sub-out the special b and crystal60 for vienna? and maybe sub out some of the sugar for ldme or something

looking for that choccy flavour but with a minty finish, the ferment temp seems on the highside?

thanks

thanks vanners, pm sent

Used the big pots last night...I need a pump and some hoses quick smart...he he

Maris is a variety of 2-row.
Screwy's treacle stout is superb so his grist is proven.
Lactose definitely brings out the choc aspect of choc malt.
I'm not convinced on the dextrose or sucrose. You're mashing high for body but adding sugar to up abv without adding body?
Hops like northern brewer may bring a minty character.
Spec b is a deep flavoured belgian crystal that brings a raisin note. Vienna is a delicious bready/biscuity base malt so not really a sub as such. Depends on the desired end result.

Nothing wrong with a tad of crystal type malt in a stout but your recipe has an awful lot. Consider reducing by at least half (probably more).

interesting thanks, food for thought and I need to think about the end result more, what do I want?

I want something dark but with a hint of transparency, dark brown but hold it to the light and there is a redness there but a white head would be cool
It smells like chocolate but there is also a peppermint aroma too. MaybeI mean spearmint
It falls into the mouth, it's soft, slowly warms the mouth with alcohol still a bit sweet and chocolate like and then falls into a spearmint, peppermint finish

I don't know what I'm freekin talking about, does that make sense?

It's s good start. Think about what you want to make, then about how to make it.

@ droid ...

Hey mate .. Just looking over your recipe above ...
Am lost on the 5ml peppermint leaves.
Should that read 5g peppermint leaves?
If so ... are you looking at the plain ol' mint that grows wild in herb gardens, or something a bit more sinister like .... the lollies ... *gasp*

cheers

@manticle I don't know how to make it tho, that's a problem

@ctm it didn't state what the peppermint in the 2 minute boil was, the dry addition was peppermint extract but the boil didn't say what form it was

Hang on I'll get the bloody recipe link

droid said:
@manticle I don't know how to make it tho, that's a problem
What I mean is, understanding the desired end result helps you (and us) work out methods to get there.

I know Ross uses good quality, high cocoa content chocolate in the mash and his choc beers I've had were great.

Start with an established stout like screwy's and make your additions based on desired result.

This was the beer that inspired me to have a crack at a choc mint stout. After doing some reading about it turns out they let the malt give the chocolate flavour (no cocoa or such...) That Holgate choc porter is waaay to sweet and chocolatey for my liking though.

For the mint I used 2 or 3 hard mint lollies and did a whirlpool addition of about 30 gms of fresh mint. I was erring on the cautious side for fear of taking it into toothpaste territory but at the end it could have handled a little more mint aroma.

My recipes are scattered across the place, I'll dig it out when I get home. Sounds like you're on to a decent stout recipe so just add some mint and you're probably good to go!

I have garden variety mint growing in my garden like a weed. My wife loves it in the occasion cocktail, but apart from chewing on the odd leaf while I pick other veges I don't do anything with it. I'm thinking if I was to use them I'd throw one to a few leaves in the boil and the mint flavour would come through. However...
If doing a peppermint stout I'd want it to taste like a mint Aero chocolate. I'm guessing that the choice of mint (peppermint, spearmint, mint lollies etc.) would have a marked affect on the final beer because while all minty, they certainly are different flavours.

thanks for that :'

@wigg' yes indeed consideration for the type of mint, spearmint here for sure

cheers all for the help so far, maybe : ' will find the recipe but either way there is prolly already more than enough info for me to totally screw this up...lol

Not really a recipe to be found AFAIK but link was more for reference. I did a tour of the brewery and the guys were saying they just take their regular stout and add mint for a seasonal special. Cracking beer!

Are there copyright problems with sharing a photo taken from a magazine(?)
Craft Beer and Brewing

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423630745.340249.jpg

Latest posts

Back