Reccomend me a grainmill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motabika

Reaction score
I'm the market for a mill, want to spend less than $250 and ideally come with a hopper

Are the eBay cheapies any good?

mash master mk 1.
leave it for the kids in the will

I reckon the new mini mill would compete pretty well with the mk1. No hopper or crank handle though. Ad an extra $100ish for a motion dynamics motor and you have a beast of a mill. DIY required.

Edit: if you are going to spend $250 on a mill (which is basically the mini as the cheapies are about $120) bight the bullet and spend the extra for a MD motor. If you really want a cheapie then get one of eBay and save $100.

Edited edit : deleted gibberish

Agree with above your grandkids kids might have to get the rollers replace when they retire. Also it's an Aussie bussiness, doing it as well as or better than the rest. Yes you can buy cheaper but cheaper as I've learned with my first mill don't last. Buy right buy once.

I have a shmindling, love it , had it for years and can't fault it but couldn't tell you how much they would be now, pretty sure I payed about $200

Motabika said:
I'm the market for a mill, want to spend less than $250 and ideally come with a hopper

Are the eBay cheapies any good?
no. they are not.

mashmaster. Wait a pay cycle and get it.

search knurling on here as well.

This is brewing infrastructure...... and is invincible.

Use a current limited power supply so she trips when something non-grain enters the mill.

I've used a ebay "cheapie" that a mate bought ($115 -120 ish), but I was brewing first so I snaffled it off him.

I cleaned it first and found the metal other than the roillers is shit, oxidises to horrible black shit, had to get the brasso out to polish it up.

This is the one I will buy when I can afford it:
http://www.mashmaster.com/c/170017/1/grain-mills.html

there used to be "cheap" stainless mills on Aliexpress but if the knurling was anything like the problems on the old mini mill the rollers would be blunt in no time. Good for making bread flour.

I just got myself 2 weeks ago a new mashmaster minimill with the fluted rollers. Hell yes. I run a bigger gap than my LHBS (Keg king type) and get stuff all flour, my sparging is done in 5mins (Grainfather) and still hit all my targets. Just using a drill and makeshift hopper ATM. Now to get an MD motor/ Gearbox, and proper hopper.

I am pleased I listened to the advise of others here and did not cheap out with the Flea bay specials. Cheers.

I got one of the cheapies through a bulk buy on here. I just looked it up and it was 3 and a half years ago. Has given me some grief with rollers not gripping due to a pebble that was in some grain which dulled the rollers. I managed to flip it and run it upside and works fine again. Only cost me a $100 with a hopper but I would probably spend more and get a decent mill next time for something that I use every single brew. Building a hopper or having a look in the ghetto thread, there are plenty of options for cheap or easy to make ones.

Likewise, got the cheapie malt muncher or whatever it's called. It certainly works, and I've put a fair bit of grain through it, but not sure it works entirely well. I'm going to save up for a decent one. Save yourself $100 and get the proper thing from the off.

Back