Real Beer In Rockhampton

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

Hi all,

I regularly travel to Rocky for work and will be there next week. Apart from the bottleshop I found that sells a decent range of beers.

Is there anywhere else to get a good beer on tap in or around Rocky.

Cheers Brad

Hi all,

I regularly travel to Rocky for work and will be there next week. Apart from the bottleshop I found that sells a decent range of beers.

Is there anywhere else to get a good beer on tap in or around Rocky.

Cheers Brad

Which bottle shop is that? I'll be heading up there later this year for awhile so I would like to check it out.

Cheers
Chris

It is a few years since I have been up there (been there a few times though) i quite enjoyed the Criterion (The Crie) Hotel down by the river.

Can't remember what they have on tap - but a good pub none-the-less from what I remember.

Also a good irish bar there (name escapes me) - bit harder to get to though for memory.

As for micro-brewed - can't remember coming across anything, but things coulda changed.

Brendo

1st choice not as good as Dans but what they have is ok.

It is a few years since I have been up there (been there a few times though) i quite enjoyed the Criterion (The Crie) Hotel down by the river.

Can't remember what they have on tap - but a good pub none-the-less from what I remember.

Also a good irish bar there (name escapes me) - bit harder to get to though for memory.

As for micro-brewed - can't remember coming across anything, but things coulda changed.

Brendo

Yes thats right I did see a Irish bar there near the river but didn't get time will have to see if its any good. The other pubs I went to had a huge range of beer xxxx and gold and the rough pub had VB.

Yes thats right I did see a Irish bar there near the river but didn't get time will have to see if its any good. The other pubs I went to had a huge range of beer xxxx and gold and the rough pub had VB.

Whaddaya mean you don't wanna drink XXXX or VB - nectar of the gods ;0)

I can say that I have had a few decent Guinnesses there at the very least - in both of those establishments.

The criteron has a couple of extras on the CUB line but don't get your hopes up to high it's good for a steak though, if you follow the river up a bit further there is a big white newly renovated pub not sure of the name but just ask one of the locals as they will know what one and they have JS on tap or they did about 6 months ago. I end up there regulary for work as well. Well I used too but not any more..

Don't bother it's crap,Guinness and Kilkenny, only.
There nothing in Rocky,hit the bottle shop.
I'll be there again soon too I believe. :(

Batz

The criteron has a couple of extras on the CUB line but don't get your hopes up to high it's good for a steak though, if you follow the river up a bit further there is a big white newly renovated pub not sure of the name but just ask one of the locals as they will know what one and they have JS on tap or they did about 6 months ago. I end up there regulary for work as well. Well I used too but not any more..
If your looking for a descent steak, head down to the Great Western Hotel. Used to be owned by Lee Kernagan, but beware the locals can get restless. On the upside they both kinds of music, Country and Western!!!!!

If your looking for a descent steak, head down to the Great Western Hotel. Used to be owned by Lee Kernagan, but beware the locals can get restless. On the upside they both kinds of music, Country and Western!!!!!

Is that the one with the bullriding arena/bar at the back. Had a top friday lunch there last time meal was great but the beer was normal. Could not believe they were actually breaking in horses in a pub. :eek: And by this I mean they were getting the horses used to people riding them, I mean, well you know. Did enjoy a Tall Tales Ale when I got back to brissy airport though.

Yeah 1st Choice is the way to go. I can't recall the pub name, but they had JS Amber Ale on tap.

Flew into Rocky this arvo, grabbed the hire car and straight over to the bottlo. All the way thinking its going to be closed or the range isn't going to be very big.
Well as I sip my La Trappe Dubbel poured from the crock jar and looking at my bottle of Sheperd NeameSpitfire Ale, I am worried that my meal allowance is going to be a bit mispent this week :chug:
Oh well microwave noodles aren't too bad I guess :)

At least you're not heading even further north - the beer choice in Cairns for example is woeful. Lion Nathan have obviously made a decision to neglect XXXX and have the appalling Toohey's New as the national flagship brand. When did you last see a XXXX heavy ad on tv? The choice in most pubs up there is Toohey's New, XXXX gold, VB, Carlton Drab and maybe one of the superdry varieties if you're lucky. Cairns Draught is no longer made - it was a good thirst quencher in its day but disappeared around 2002.

I doubt if Rocky is big enough to support a Micro. Even Bris had a few until recently, now reduced to the Brewhouse on Edward street that tastes suspiciously like extract beers.

At least you're not heading even further north - the beer choice in Cairns for example is woeful. Lion Nathan have obviously made a decision to neglect XXXX and have the appalling Toohey's New as the national flagship brand. When did you last see a XXXX heavy ad on tv? The choice in most pubs up there is Toohey's New, XXXX gold, VB, Carlton Drab and maybe one of the superdry varieties if you're lucky. Cairns Draught is no longer made - it was a good thirst quencher in its day but disappeared around 2002.

I doubt if Rocky is big enough to support a Micro. Even Bris had a few until recently, now reduced to the Brewhouse on Edward street that tastes suspiciously like extract beers.

I was in cairns for my honeymoon last November and drank quite a few decent pints of Coopers Pale Ale... not too much else available though beyond the ones you listed (at least on tap anyway).

Brendo

Is Oxford 152 still going in Bulimba? I was there about 3 years ago and the beer was pretty good, cant beat a micro. Which reminds me- I might take the wife out for dinner for her birthday coming up........in Bulimba , I know a place ;)

Oh well, its the last night and thought I would head back to the bottlo and get a coupla bottles for the last night.
After my daily pint at the Irish pub. (Can you beleive they have been out of Kilkenny all week haha).
Had to grab a LCPA also grabbed a Kristal Weissbier, and a Skull Splitter from Orkeney Brewery.
Has anyone else tried the Skull Splitter to me it tasytes like port with bubbles , nice though(so far).

Cheers Brad

Has anyone else tried the Skull Splitter to me it tasytes like port with bubbles , nice though(so far).
Oh mate! I randomly came across this beer only the once.
'Twas Harrigans Pub bottle 'o in the Hunter Valley. I was suppose to be up there for the wine, and I stubbled across this bottle o with a great range of beers i'd yet to ever see (or try). So I couldn't resist buying that, along with a dozen or so assorted good beers. Managed to get a freebie Duvel glass for my troubles...

Anyway, was a bloody nice beer, I do recall it be quite whiskey or peat-like. Hard to find Barley Wine style beers in this country, so I savoured it!

Is Oxford 152 still going in Bulimba? I was there about 3 years ago and the beer was pretty good, cant beat a micro. Which reminds me- I might take the wife out for dinner for her birthday coming up........in Bulimba , I know a place ;)
Oxford 152 closed down 12-18 months ago. Last I heard the pub was still going, but they figured making beers was too expensive and difficult.

It's a shame. Last time I was there the selection was great, including a lovely APA that was on tap as part of a homebrewing comp.

Back