Re-using Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam77

Reaction score
Can someone let me know the best way to re-use a previous yeast? I kept the yeast from my last brew (in a sanitised beer bottle) and wish to re-use it.

Can I place the recyled yeast straight into the fermenter or should I do a yeast starter? Will the yeast work if I put it straight in the fermenter (attempting a German Pilsner).

Thanks,

Adam.

Can someone let me know the best way to re-use a previous yeast? I kept the yeast from my last brew (in a sanitised beer bottle) and wish to re-use it.

Can I place the recyled yeast straight into the fermenter or should I do a yeast starter? Will the yeast work if I put it straight in the fermenter (attempting a German Pilsner).

Thanks,

Adam.
A good place to start is here

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showarticle=125

Adam..

What I do is collect a beer glass of the yeast slurry from the fermenter. cover with glad wrap and chuck in the fridge.. a day or so later I pour off the watery stuff and re pitch the slurry. Most times this is with S-23. Or I repitch the lot if I am brewing the same day.. I never keep it more that a week this way.. use the yeast up to five or six times this way..

Cheers

I do a similar process to rover. There are plenty of threads about it so please use the SEARCH button.

After bottling all of the beer I add 500ml of boiled, cooled water into the fermenter. I give it a swirl and pour it into a sanitized jar. Sanitation is really key here, if you get lazy you'll screw your next batch, or 5. After the sanitized jar with your yeast has been sitting on the bench for 15 minutes or so, most of the trub (bad) will have settled on the bottom of the jar while the yeasty goodness remains in suspension in the water. Decant this yeasty goodness into another clean, sanitized jar - seal it and stick it in the fridge. If you plan on keeping it longer than a couple of weeks than I'd suggest repeating the process every couple of days. I usually do it 3-4 times. Eventually the yeast settles and the remaining water is left clear.

Yeast washing 101. I feel I should reiterate SANITATION is really really important, clean everything with whatever brewer's detergent you use then rinse all that detergent off with hot water then sanitize - I use iodophore which is really easy to use and rinse free. Just squirt it everywhere with an atomizer and leave it for a few minutes...easy.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your help.

Adam.

If you have kept the yeast more than a week or few, it would be best to make a starter.
If the yeast is very fresh simply pitch it directly.

Back