Re-using Caps

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OT

I found this comment interesting (and expletive-free). So if the Earth was mostly Copper, would our blood be green? :rolleyes:

Only if we had a completely different biology and we breathed sulphates. I doubt copper is reactive enough to be used as an oxygen carrier in a life form.

But the :rolleyes: have me puzzled. The red in blood actually is from iron. http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/blood.asp

Only if we had a completely different biology and we breathed sulphates. I doubt copper is reactive enough to be used as an oxygen carrier in a life form.

Plunging completely off topic, just to say that other organisms do have copper-based blood. Molluscs and horseshoe crabs have blue blood because of that. Link.

The blood of most molluscs, including cephalopods and gastropods, as well as some arthropods such as horseshoe crabs contains the copper containing protein hemocyanin at concentrations of about 50 g per litre.[11] These creatures do not have hemoglobin (iron containing protein) which is the basis of oxygen transport in vertebrates. Hemocyanin is colourless when deoxygenated and dark blue when oxygenated.

Plunging completely off topic, just to say that other organisms do have copper-based blood. Molluscs and horseshoe crabs have blue blood because of that. Link.

There you go. I guess because of the copper being readily available in sea water as opposed to us terrestrial life forms.

So if the Earth was mostly Copper, would our blood be green? :rolleyes:

No, but probably if the earth was mostly magnesium. The only difference between chlolophyll and haemoglobine is that chlorophyll is bonded to magnesium and haemoglobine to iron... :D

Alex

So if we re-used caps made from copper and then drank the beer whilst devouring an entree of shellfish would that be ok. :wacko:

:icon_offtopic: i think

Cheers, Andrew.

But the :rolleyes: have me puzzled. The red in blood actually is from iron. http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/blood.asp
Sorry, I was just being a wanker - I know the role of iron in haemoglobin and that its presence makes the blood red, however I was challenging the assertion that you made about the iron in the earth being the main reason ("hence") that we also have it in our blood - like we go around munching on big hunks of iron-ore. I would say that there are a number of other factors :rolleyes: .....oh, sorry - :D . I am happy to be wrong, however.

Again, I was just being a prick and I apologise.

This, however is complete bullshit:
The only difference between chlolophyll and haemoglobine is that chlorophyll is bonded to magnesium and haemoglobine to iron...
If they're the same, surely they're interchangeable????

That's really interesting about the molluscs, though!

Sorry, I was just being a wanker - I know the role of iron in haemoglobin and that its presence makes the blood red, however I was challenging the assertion that you made about the iron in the earth being the main reason ("hence") that we also have it in our blood

Again, I was just being a prick and I apologise.

No worries. It's just hard to detect sarcasm (or even emphasis) in the written words. My assertion was based on the idea that we evolved iron-based haemoglobin due to the relative abundance of iron in the earth and its crust. A mineral readily available is more likely to be used for an essential process than a relatively rare one, say molybdenum. The shellfish using copper for the same function is quite interesting, and I'll stand by my WAG that you won't find a terrestrial creature with copper based blood, simply because there isn't enough of it in other life for it to available enough in food.

But here I go on another nutty tangent.

back on topic ...

my father has a mate who re uses caps to the stage where he gets others to save them for him , i came across a shopping bag of used caps in the garage the other day and questioned what they were for and when my father told me i couldnt believe it ..

im all for saving a bit of coin and have thought about doing the same thing with caps at one stage years ago ,however i found that they are harder to put on when used , the seal inside is squashed and as others have said is it really worth potentially wrecking a brew for the sake of a $2 bag of lids , they are probably the cheapest part of our process so in my view its new caps for me , but to those who want to go that way glory to you

This, however is complete bullshit:

No, but probably if the earth was mostly magnesium. The only difference between chlolophyll and haemoglobine is that chlorophyll is bonded to magnesium and haemoglobine to iron...
If they're the same, surely they're interchangeable????

I didn't say they're the same. Chlorophyll and hemoglobine share the same basic structure. A porphyrine ring around a central metal ion. In the case of chlorophyll this is magnesium, in the case of hemoglobine it is iron. So what is complete bullshit now? ;)

BTW: I wasn't really serious about it.... ;)
Alex

Everyone else is getting in on this thread, so I feel a bit left out :(

If you're re-using the caps do you sanitise them ?

Everyone else is getting in on this thread, so I feel a bit left out :(

If you're re-using the caps do you sanitise them ?
I'd highly recommend santising them. You never know what nasties have come into contact with the inside of the cap.

I consider myself pretty tight but I don't go to the extent of reusing caps. Even the pretty coloured ones @ 3c each :eek: are not thought an extravagance.

...maybe I'm not as frugal as I thought .... :huh:

Cheers,

microbe

ps if you do, surely you won't bother sanitising either

ps if you do, surely you won't bother sanitising either

Well what if I let the sodium met solution I use evaporate. This will then turn back to a powder, I can then use this to sterize my used caps.

Has anyone got some spent grain I might be able to squeeze a bit of malt out of. :eek:
Btw this is being sarcastic. :lol:

bradsbrew: what brand/style of opener are you using? I have been looking for an opener that doesn't bend caps... thanks much!

Im Reusing caps, Only about 10 -12 330ml Bottels. Im making a Mex Cervaza and want to put 2 6packs back into "Sol" bottels . (sol's cheaper than 20$ for 6 Corona's) Its just for a laugh. Not going to do it full time.

I could see how it can be done if using a twist top bottle - I bottle the remaining beer (after kegging) into usually a 6 pack of coopers stubbies. Crown seal them on, twist them off - hence no damage.

And I knew a guy many years ago who recycled them. And when he told me I was gobsmacked...

I have never reused them, too risky IMO for all that good beer to go to waste.

But as many others have said, for under $2 for a pack of 100 at Woolies (no affiliation, etc) or the LHBS, it hardly seems worth it.

There is my 1 bottle cap's worth... (2c) ;)

The global economic meltdown hits home brewing :p

I pay $13.50 for 500 caps, and they are coloured....

@ an average of 60 stubbies (23L) per batch, that equates to $1.62 per batch in new caps...

if you can't afford that, I question if you can afford brewing or beer in general....

I cant believe i started this thread. In under 12 months I've gone from trying to reuse bottle caps to spending a Shite load on AG equipment and kegging gear. Dont worry about the carbon release of one failed cap Pomo think about the carbon footprint my gas burner stamps in.

Cheers Brad

Latest posts

Back