Re-using Caps

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

Is it possible to reuse the caps on bottles. with my opener I can open my brew bottles without creasing the cap. So I am wondering if I can clean and sterilise my caps and use them again. I know they only cost a coupla bucks a hungie, but it is another cost better spent on ingredients. Has anyone tried and been successful at this.

Cheers Brad

I tried once but without the edge of the cap all splayed out they dont seem to fit properly. Give it a crack and see how it goes.

Personally I can't even remember why I tried... too much effort and risk for so little savings...

Really??

I think the risk over cost is a absolute no brainer, don't bother.

Do you use white sugar to save a buck? I hope not, Just buy new caps.

IMO.

Really??

I think the risk over cost is a absolute no brainer, don't bother.

Do you use white sugar to save a buck? I hope not, Just buy new caps.

IMO.

Yep you are right. Why risk 20 to 40 bucks of ingredients to save 2 bucks. <_< Maybe I'll try to save in other ways, sell an organ perhaps.

Doh, damaged by alchohol ! :party:

Definitely no need to re-use caps in my book. They're only a few cents a go.

Do you use white sugar to save a buck? I hope not

But I definitely use white sugar. There's a place for it (maybe not a kilo to go with a kit) in several styles in moderation and it's certainly fine to use as priming sugar.

My old man re-uses caps , he just pries them off with a long bread knife or such a twist & there're off. He says he gets a few failures now and again but mostly they're OK.

Lagers

You can use PET bottles and reuse the cap time and time again.
I use soft drink bottle caps to identify brews. I have black caps on my last Morgan's lager, vanilla coke caps on a pilsner, plain white caps on a stout and Diet Coke caps on a batch of Red Ale.

I'm all for recycling and whatnot but, ****, this is going too far. The earth is mostly iron, hence our red blood. What is the issue with tossing your crown seals? One in 50 failures makes the carbon lost to your beer greater than the carbon spent making 100 crown seals (numbers pulled from my arse, but I reckon that estimate is close as hell).

One in 50 failures makes the carbon lost to your beer greater than the carbon spent making 100 crown seals (numbers pulled from my arse, but I reckon that estimate is close as hell).

Jeezuuzzz PoMo....dont mention the CARBON....they will include it in an emissioins trading/tax scheme if they get wind of it.... :eek:

Then I will hold you personally responsible for getting a $50 carbon tax every time I make /open a brew... :angry:

I'm all for recycling and whatnot but, ****, this is going too far. The earth is mostly iron, hence our red blood. What is the issue with tossing your crown seals? One in 50 failures makes the carbon lost to your beer greater than the carbon spent making 100 crown seals (numbers pulled from my arse, but I reckon that estimate is close as hell).

PoMo ,

Please moderate you language to less than one profanity per sentence .

Pumpy ( self appointed unofficial moderator ) ;)

I used to bottle 1/2 a batch using new seals, the other 1/2 with reused ones from the brew before. This way you are recycling (my main motivator), saving $ and not risking your entire batch.

I don't recall any experiencing any dodgy bottles that I could attribute to this practice.

I don't do it any more because I'm kegging, but still have a stash of used, good condition seals that I will use at some point.

Don't just go on the 'advice' given by a bunch of blokes who haven't even tried it - give it a go.

Yeah, I can see it now.... Friday night, kicking back with some mates and the last few long necks of your favourite iced cold home brew bevvy.

Then, when you go to crack the last few bottles........ nothing....flatter than last years road kill!

Doesn't have to be a mastercard moment to know that it doesn't always pay to be frugal.

Cheers,

K

Maybe you can get together with pokolbinguy and do a bulk buy on caps...

If you re-use caps to save money , please post your bank account details and I am sure a few of us can transfer a couple of dollars each to get u a couple thousand more. I hate to see good beer go to waste.

I dunno how you can get em off without bendin them?????

Not that I'd reuse em if I could

Each to their own

I have used old bottle caps to seal beers once before, but only to reseal beers i'd already opened and couldn't finish.
Not that the beer was any better the next day though. :wacko:

Personally, I wouldn't risk on a fresh brew...too much could go wrong.

PoMo ,

Please moderate you language to less than one profanity per sentence .

Pumpy ( self appointed unofficial moderator ) ;)

I make that post as 0.75 profanities per sentence on average, and that's only if you count "hell" as a profanity. I think I scrape in there, mate ;)

Latest posts

Back