Re-sticking Corny Base

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I've noticed at least one of my corny bases is loose and it holds water/gunk between the stainless and rubber.

As i do a lot of keg shaking in my cleaning process, this foul liquid comes out and creates a mess.

Anyone got a reasonably efficient means of sticking the rubber base back to the keg?

I know there's a Sika product (or 10) that will do the job brilliantly, but at 15-20 bucks a tube, i'm hoping to find a $5 tube of somethng.

Anyone used Roof and Gutter Silicon? or anything else successfully?

If you use Sikaflex it won't come off again (good thing). If you go cheaper it will come off and you'll need to do it again.

Do it once, do it properly I'd say. You could try Araldite? Not 100% sure if its safe on metals though.

http://www.selleys.com.au/adhesives/household-adhesive/araldite

EDIT: Im bored

What materials is this product suitable for?
  • Glass
  • Metal
  • Wood
  • Fabric
  • Rigid Plastic – will not bond to Polyethylene or Polypropylene plastics
  • Crystal
  • Leather

I've used liquid nails with success. Or if you're not too concerned about aesthetics, a couple of turns of gaffa tape does the trick.

I agree with the Liquid Nails working with rubber but the Sikaflex is certainly better.
If you're a bit strapped then wait for the specials. Usually about 1/2 price up this way from time to time so perhaps the same in your locality?
You could carbonate at serving pressure to save the mess (Around 7 days) while you wait. :)

I used liquid nails to put the top back on one of my kegs. the first time it didn't work so well, the second time I drowned it in liquid nails and strapped the whole thing down tight with tie down straps and sat a heavy bucket on top for 48 hours. whilst it cured. Seems to be OK so far.

yep.... all the above. Liquid nails and Silicone work a treat - I have used both.

looks like the spare tube of liquid nails I've got is going to find a home...

I too had this problem recently and also used the new version of liquid nails...and that base now needs a bomb to move it.

Latest posts

Back