Re-Hydrate v Not..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you want stu to accept the fact that non-rehydrated results in ~50% cell death or the idea that his beer with non-rehydrated yeast couldn't possibly turn out ok?
Maybe we can keep this thread alive for 6 weeks more or so.

Not For Horses said:
Am I the only one that finds it strange that in all 20odd pages there is not one mention of the fact that there are multiple methods of dehydrating yeast? The method of dehydration dramatically affects the method required for re-hydration thus without knowing the manufacturer's method of dehydration, it is not really possible to say comprehensively which method of re-hydration is best.
Interesting. More please.

Feldon said:
Sure, some yeast die if pitched dry direct into the wort. But maybe this is a good thing. They are weak yeast cells with cell walls that can't withstand the osmotic pressure of the wort. Good. Let the buggers die, and ferment your beer with decendants of the remaining strong, thick walled yeast.

Call it a eugenics approach.
OK, just to recapitulate my post of a year ago (on page 1 of this thread), here it is again.

Feldon said:
OK, just to recapitulate my post of a year ago (on page 1 of this thread), here it is again.
who said the yeast that lived are still strong. They may have been strong to live through the nonrehydration but maybe they are on the brink of death now?

manticle said:
Maybe we can keep this thread alive for 6 weeks more or so.
I would have thought that after 12 months and 20 pages, brewers could make up there own mind instead of making up the minds of others.

Feldon said:
Interesting. More please.
There were a few articles published in the journal of the institute of brewing and some microbiology journal that I can't remember the name of now. Basically, the method of dehydration determines the strength of the cell wall therefore how much osmotic pressure it can sustain during rehydration.

Oh yeah?
Do you have to smack dry yeast to make it work.
why not start another useless shit fight???

You do not have to smack liquid yeast if you don't want to.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Probably join the peoples front of Judea
Much like this thread, I think you'll find its the Judean Peoples Front?

:beerbang: :p

gap said:
why not start another useless shit fight???

You do not have to smack liquid yeast if you don't want to.
Would you settle for a facetious shit fight?

You are correct, the smack part merely liberates the yeast nutrient. At the very least, a bloated pack lets one know the yeast is viable.

That said, I enjoy employing the 1" punch method rather than the bitch slap.

How about you?

I rehydrate my yeast.

Must admit now I just swirl it round in the water to try to get it dissolved and then almost instantly pour into the bottom of the fermenter before adding all the wort on top of it - I have no idea what important events are happening (or not happening) in those few moments of rehydration that make the yeast stronger.

Not an especially helpful contribution, but I am proud to be part of this epic and venerable thread.

Dave70 said:
Would you settle for a facetious shit fight?

You are correct, the smack part merely liberates the yeast nutrient. At the very least, a bloated pack lets one know the yeast is viable.

That said, I enjoy employing the 1" punch method rather than the bitch slap.

How about you?
If this was a State of yeast Origin it would be nothing more than a gentle brush up the side with the tips of your fingers

saflager s-189

fermentation temperature: 9-22°C (48.2-71.6°F) ideally 12-15°C (53.6-59°F)
dosage instructions: 80 to 120 g/hl for pitching at 12°C – 15°C (53-59°F).
increase dosage for pitching below 12°C (53°F), up to 200 to 300 g/hl at 9°C (48°F)

rehydration instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 23°C± 3°C (73°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the wort using aeration or by wort addition.
Back to the drawing board after Ross's pointer. Above is from the manufacturer's website. So having set up fermenter at 11 deg C I now need to find another fridge to control the starter at 23 deg C. and then get it close to 11 deg C somehow within 30 minutes prior to pitching. :wacko:

It does say rehydration is not necessary IF the wort temperature is above 20 deg C, which implies that hydration is necessary (or recommended) if you intend to pitch cool or at fermentation temperature. Schiesse, I don't know anymore...

Goose said:
Back to the drawing board after Ross's pointer. Above is from the manufacturer's website. So having set up fermenter at 11 deg C I now need to find another fridge to control the starter at 23 deg C. and then get it close to 11 deg C somehow within 30 minutes prior to pitching. :wacko:

It does say rehydration is not necessary IF the wort temperature is above 20 deg C, which implies that hydration is necessary (or recommended) if you intend to pitch cool or at fermentation temperature. Schiesse, I don't know anymore...
Pick your point of view and stick to it, there is no other way.
I rehydrate because it appears to be the right thing to do after reading the blurbs..
Nev

Latest posts

Back