Re-Hydrate v Not..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from the dead

image.jpg

I thought most dry yeast packs say to re hydrate or just sprinkle on to of wort. I have never noticed any diff with re hydrating so I'm a sprinkler.

I find my yeast starters made with dry yeasts deliver better results when I combine the DME and yeast with some water.
Or else they just kind of sit there.

Goose said:
I am convinced that rehydrating gets my yeast going quite a bit faster than dry pitching. However it may also be specific to the yeast and method I am using.

If I'm brewing a lager and use dry yeast then the only one I'll use is S189. I pitch into well oxygenated wort at fermentation temp, ie 11 deg C, but first rehydrate for 20 mins in previously boiled but cooled tapwater also at 11 deg C to avoid any temperature shock. I also even hold my packets at 11 deg C prior to hydrating, anal as it may be. However I know that the yeast have been well woken as evidenced by the mini krausen that forms atop the surface of the vial that I am rehydrating in. I find I get bubbling pretty much straight away after pitching.

By comparison, when I have pitched dry it seemed to take a couple of days to fire up... but it still worked.
Goose, you should rehydrate in warmer water, hydrating with cooled water does almost as much damage as sprinkling, otherwise you might as well pitch dry. Small additions of cold wort to your mix will help avoid sudden temp drop, or place in fridge for a short spell.

Cheers Ross

Black Devil Dog said:
Palmer says that if pitched directly into the wort, the sugars prevent the yeast from getting enough water into their cells to metabolise, Causing many to die.

He also suggests to re-hydrate at 35 - 40 deg c.
not safale 05, 39c killed my yeast. make sure you follow the instructions, 05 needs 27C

Yup, I keep the temp of the yeast in the middle of the range per the packet.

Or if (like the Mangrove Jacks varieties) there isn't an ideal range given, I use the temp range of a similar style (and ferment temp range given) to ascertain an approximate rehydration temp - the sheets for Lallemand and Fermentis yeasts are on the internet as a reference. Seems to work.

I've not experienced the mind-numbing slow uptake that it appears others using Mangrove Jacks Yeasts have, by doing it this way.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Or if (like the Mangrove Jacks varieties) there isn't an ideal range given, I use the temp range of a similar style (and ferment temp range given) to ascertain an approximate rehydration temp - the sheets for Lallemand and Fermentis yeasts are on the internet as a reference. Seems to work.

I've not experienced the mind-numbing slow uptake that it appears others using Mangrove Jacks Yeasts have, by doing it this way.
Although not on the packet, Mangrove Jack's do have rehydration instructions and calls for 100ml of 30 - 35 degree water apart from the bohemian lager which calls for 100ml of 20 - 25 degrees.
They have a brochure on their yeast series which has plenty of info on them.

Nibbo said:
Although not on the packet, Mangrove Jack's do have rehydration instructions and calls for 100ml of 30 - 35 degree water apart from the bohemian lager which calls for 100ml of 20 - 25 degrees.
They have a brochure on their yeast series which has plenty of info on them.
Thanks Nibbo.

IIRC, that's about what I used. I know the BRY97 I pitched on Monday was that range, as was the S33 on my Berliner Weisse. I'm not sure if I found it on the net, so I'll have to look again.

Ross said:
Goose, you should rehydrate in warmer water, hydrating with cooled water does almost as much damage as sprinkling, otherwise you might as well pitch dry. Small additions of cold wort to your mix will help avoid sudden temp drop, or place in fridge for a short spell.

Cheers Ross
In relation to this. I heard on the brewing radio show when he was speaking to the yeast dude (Chris something I think) that it's better to pitch colder then raise temps then pitch warm and drop temps

Yes you are, but that is not going to be the same temp as your rehydration step (which is in a very small volume compared to a starter).

GalBrew is right. Fermentis and Danstar recommend reydrating in a certain temp range and then attemperate (mix small amounts of cool water or wort) the yeast slurry to your main batch temp (pitching temp). Rehydrate warm, pitch at whatever you feel like (but as mrsupraboy said, Chris White and other people I tend to trust reckon colder than desired ferment temp is better).

Spoke to the German brewer guy at Green Beacon brewery and he said the same, if you pitch warm because you are worried you have underpitched, then drop to the main fermenting temperature you will produce a different beer than pitching a correct amount at a lower temperature then bringing the beer up to main fermenting temperature.

So if pitching cooler you need to have a good yeast count to begin with, thus rehydrate.

If rehydrating at say 30 degrees you would need to clingwrap the glass jar or whatever and gradually bring down to pitching temperature to avoid shocking the oh so delicate and woosy yeast cells who might otherwise swing their handbags around and burst into tears.

Ross said:

Cheers Ross
Appreciate the tip Ross, as you say my issue is getting the mixture down to fermentation temperature, ie 11 deg C, before the nutrients packeted with the yeast are exhausted which I understand is around 20 mins... ambient here is 30 deg C.

Bribie G said:
If rehydrating at say 30 degrees you would need to clingwrap the glass jar or whatever and gradually bring down to pitching temperature to avoid shocking the oh so delicate and woosy yeast cells who might otherwise swing their handbags around and burst into tears.

ya but isn't this what they do if you rehydrate too long ?

Back