Re-Hydrate v Not..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goose said:
Appreciate the tip Ross, as you say my issue is getting the mixture down to fermentation temperature, ie 11 deg C, before the nutrients packeted with the yeast are exhausted which I understand is around 20 mins... ambient here is 30 deg C.
You're right, although I'm not sure about the 20 min, it might be a little longer. But, yes, you don't want to take too long. This is from a Danstar Munich datasheet:

Attemperate in steps of 10°C at 5-minute intervals to the fermentation temperature by mixing aliquots of wort. Do not allow attemperation to be carried out by natural heat loss. This will take too long and could result in loss of viability or vitality.

mrsupraboy said:
In relation to this. I heard on the brewing radio show when he was speaking to the yeast dude (Chris something I think) that it's better to pitch colder then raise temps then pitch warm and drop temps
I listened to that podcast this week and I thought it was the other way 'round?

Am I the only one that finds it strange that in all 20odd pages there is not one mention of the fact that there are multiple methods of dehydrating yeast? The method of dehydration dramatically affects the method required for re-hydration thus without knowing the manufacturer's method of dehydration, it is not really possible to say comprehensively which method of re-hydration is best.

Latest posts

Back