Raspberry Cyser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i find that they dont have as much aroma and flavour as the ones from berry farms and such. if you can get them from a green grocer or berry farm if there is a good one near you.
the priming was about 4-5g/L i think only because i bottled the last batch a couple of months ago and there has been some good beer since then.
temp was on the previous page but here it is again 16-20.
4 months is nothing in the scheme of things for one of these ive had mead that was in there for 8 months. the current batch is pictured below and if you look very carefully you will see 4/5/07 on the carboy.
21062007028.jpg

Cheers for the all the details, Barls.
This should be one to please SWMBO, and 5L is a managable amount.
Pete :party:
not a problem pete let me know if she likes it, i might have to go and see if i can sell the recipe for a amount up front and a percentage of the sales or start making it myself commercially.
not like my current batch which is 13L or so

Awesome pic and response Barls. Champion.

Where did you score yourself a 5L demi-john? They would be a perfect size for making the specialty fruit bevies.

Cheers
DrSmurto - salivating.

Looks very interesting!

I take it that the berries are blended?

Do you then filter or does all of the gunk settle to the bottom?

most homebrew places have them but here is where i bought mine from
http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/category51_1.htm.
since your down adelaide way why not ask kenny aka gmk where you can get some good berries locally im sure he would know

i actually use the potato masher on them but same result.
i use to a small tube when racking and rack about 2-3 times over the whole process never had much of a problem even last time when i used my racking can which is 3/8 n size. also i cold condition just before i rack in to the final time and they all just fall to the bottom it will then spend about a month at 3 degrees so any remaining particles fall out again.

good stuff barls , bee4n lookin at gettin a 5l demijohn , looks like this is the reason i needed to justify it ....

Put this down on the w/end. Cant (or you shouldnt) get fresh raspberries at this time of the year (in SA) so went a frozen pack instead. Got some honey from the local greengrocer. Would post a pic but it looks just like yours Barls, funnily enough. Only got 1 demi-john so hope to get another before its due for the 1st rack. Also only added half the apple juice cos it wouldnt fit. Might add more at racking once all the crap is left behind.

Cheers again for the recipe Barls - i cant wait :beerbang:

not a problem mate mine is clear as now after racking it no floaties at all. which yeast did you go with in the end?

not a problem mate mine is clear as now after racking it no floaties at all. which yeast did you go with in the end?

oooops, sorry Barls, only just noticed your question. Went with the champagne yeast, EC1118. I use it for my ginger beers so have some lying around.

As for racking, excuse the ignorance but would u just siphon out using a PVC tube as per racking? And is there as easier(less chance of infection) way than sucking it through? :blink:

Mines being bubbling away for 2 weeks now, forgot to add some yeast nutrient so may add some tonight before i rack in another week or so. Got another 2 demi-johns so i can play around with mead/cider and various other brewing capers on a small scale. I find my partner isnt too fussed if a 5L demi-john is sitting on the coffee table when compared to the 30L barrels! Not sure if its art deco or what? <_<

i normally half fill the tube with boiled water then put the one racking from about 1 bottle height above the other and use gravity to get it started

Questions.

Do I need to buy specialty honey or would regular Homebrand honey be ok - any brands to recommend on supermarket shelf.

Very stupid question is just juice okay to use?

Cheers.

you can use homebrand honey but it will be a blend of different honeys. i suggest a single variety of honey like clover or orange blossom.
im not sure about the just juice check to see it it has added sugar and preservatives if it has ether its no good i use berri in mine

Hey Mate.

Ended up going with strawberry's instead no rasperry's @ woolies but chucked 1.5kg's with it. 1.5 kg's of honey and 9 litres of just juice, had no preservatives or additives, used 6 litres of apple and 3 litres of apple and pair.

Boiled a yeast for yeast nutrient, and used a english ale yeast that I had in a 1.25 litre starter before hand.

Tad different but hopefully will end up with something the missus will like.

For some reason it only had a 1.040 OG though.... - Suspect just juice maybe heavily watered down.

interested to know how it goes mate

I'll let you know the Mrs report, apparently I am forbidden to touch it lol.

How did the strawberry Cyser go? I want to make something along these lines for the GF. Also what is a cyser? and are there other non beer fermented beverage's on the site besides cider and ginger beer?

How did the strawberry Cyser go? I want to make something along these lines for the GF. Also what is a cyser? and are there other non beer fermented beverage's on the site besides cider and ginger beer?

dunno bout the strawberries mate but if your keen to give something a go id definately recommend the raspberry version as originally posted by barls at the start of this thread... i have tasted this brew as made by barls and can tell you its is the goods , im planning on makin one myself sometime soon just gotta go and get the raspberrys which i think are now in or almost in season ....

a cyser is a honey apple wine its like a cider but with honey added as a fermentable.

*BUMP*

Bottled this yesterday, same recipe as Barls. I forgot to take an SG reading. It sat in secondary for 4 months. Bottled it into stubbies and primed as normal.

Barls - you said yours was 14% - i assume thats based on gravity readings or a refrac?

Had a nice warming effect when i tasted it during bottling, it was about 22C at a guess. Cant wait for it to carb up and then chill it down. Mmmmmm. Very tempted to do it again but i should taste it first!

For any Adelaideans, the Berri juices are on special atm at foodland - $3.99 for 2.4 L. I made a cider yesterday with approx 18L of this juice.

Cheers
DrSmurto

I've also made up a Raspberry Cyser based around this recipe - using 600g of Yellow Box honey.

I bottled it on the 20th September - around half the bottles being primed and the rest left as a still cyser.

Had a couple of samplers at a BBQ over the weekend - very nice. It finished up a little dry with an SG of 1.002 but that suits my tastes. With just a couple of months aging this has really improved. The rest will be stashed away until Christmas time so I don't drink them all. :D

I am currently gathering up the ingredients to do a larger batch of this one - something around the 20L mark.

The only comment I'll add is that I primed my bottles at the same rate as I would for a beer, and it seems a little under carbonated. For the next lot I'll add some more priming sugar - perhaps even double the amount to bring it up closer to a level similar to champagne.

Definite two thumbs up from me on this recipe.

Benniee

Latest posts

Back